PDA

View Full Version : Well hi there

I-S
26-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm new (funny that), and although I don't own a VR4, I'd like to. I presently have a '98 2.0 GLS estate, and I like most things about it. It definately needs a bit more go, and could do with a fifth cog (only the VR4 got the 5 speed autobox :( ).

However, what are the realities of VR4 ownership? How do the costs compare to the normal galants? What sort of fuel economy can be expected. And the real killer, how does insurance stack up? I expect that it is entirely unrealistic for someone such as myself (21 years old) to try to insure one for any significant mileage (and with work I drive about 20k per year)... At least on my present salary!

So, has anyone compared the 2.0, 2.4 GDI and 2.5 V6? I'd like to stick with the auto (despite a rather jerky 3-2 downshift... is that just mine, or do they all do that?). Is the GDI really much more efficient, or should I just go for the V6, and wait another couple of years for a VR4?

KiwiTT
26-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Welcome to Club VR-4

A lot of Questions.

Q1:At your age, stick with the GLS, save money for your VR-4. (You'll need it, for Purchase, Insurance, Fuel costs and Maintenance, let alone potentional costs when a part breaks.)
Q2:GLS then GDI/V6 then VR-4. The GDI maybe better than the V6 can't really comment.
Q3:If you are already worried about Fuel Economy @ age 21, forget a VR-4. This is a car for "Power" not "Economy".

Have a search through the forums and most of your questions will be answered.

Brind
27-01-2004, 01:26 AM
Hello mate welcome to ClubVR-4.

Insurance isn't all that expensive considering!! the problem is getting an insurance company to actually insure a VR-4 in the correct category.
There are many grey imports in the UK, there are also official cars here brought in by Ralliart.. although Insurance companies think they know better.
As a guide, Adrian Flux insures the VR-4 in the correct category, Direct Line also do, other members here have had success with other companies, do a search to find them as there are plenty of topics on it.

Fuel costs.... :-D erm... :rolleyes5 depends! if you want fun be prepared to see as low as 7mpg!!! yep "7", you could struggle to see that in a Bently :stunned: 18mpg is the average though which isn't too bad for what the car is.

Servicing.. although very reliable you have to take into consideration oil changes, engine oil is every 4500miles... that's about 4 times a year if you drive as much as you do! if you get a main dealer to do this, expect about £250 per time although it's simple to do your self.
AYC oil needs changing to, a special maching is required for this as it requires bleeding of air.

If a part goes wrong be prepared to start selling body parts.. YOUR body parts, an AYC pump costs around £2000, a gearbox is about £4000.

Could be wise to go for the normal 2.5 V6 if you want extra power, the GDi is just an efficient engine design, the 2.5 V6 has much more power.

Kieran
27-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Hi Isaac.

Nice to see another member enjoying the benefits of GLS Power, like myself :D

I'm in a similar boat to you, owning a '00 GLS Saloon, so here's my take as a non-VR4 owner who's been researching like mad and isn't yet looking through rose-tinted spectacles! ;)

1. Costs are way above what you'll pay for your GLS, and that (as I'm sure you've noticed) can cost a pretty penny, especially if you use a dealer! The GLS is far more economical and only needs attention every 9000 miles (though I recommend just oil + filter change every 4500 miles to stop the lash adjusters getting rowdy).
Fuel economy is bonkers. If you're doing 20K a year, a VR-4 will be pretty ruinous to run. Your GLS is probably returning the same figures as mine, around 28-33mpg depending on how it's driven. This equates to between 280-330 miles on £40 of Optimax. As Brind says, expect to double your fuel costs at least :( :eek:

2. I would not bother with the GDI. The UK specification GDI is not a nice engine. It's a touch more powerful and a little more economical, but because of the fuel quality here in the UK, it's not the revelation that it was in Japan. Add to that the fact that it's tuned for torque and therefore not as eager to rev, and you've got a recipie for an engine where the question should be, "Why?!"

3. Your best route is either a 2.0 Sport or a V6 Sport. When Mitsubishi revised the range in October '99 they added lots of extra toys, and the end of line UK galants improve on this further. The 2.0 Sport may be the way I end up going, as you get the VR-4 bodykit, the Jap-spec black interior (not the yucky grey effort), the High contrast dash (very sweet), the electric folding in mirrors, traction control (on some I think), and the Sport option on the gearbox (Full auto + tiptronic). But the servicing, insurance and fuel costs are just like the GLS or normal V6!

4. Regarding your gearbox. Mine's an auto too, albeit the later version with the tiptronic gate. I think it's largely the same in design. If it's shifting roughly, first stop is the gearbox fluid. Get your dealer to change the gearbox oil and check that the line pressures are normal. Reading through my service manuals, if the gearbox fluid is old, the incorrect grade or there's not enough (or too much!) in the gearbox, you'll get the symptoms you've described.

Hope this helps!
Kieran

Big Ian
27-01-2004, 09:30 AM
:hurrah: hello fellow GLS owner :hurrah: YO!! KIERAN is that 3 of us now?(in the UK)??

Spirit
27-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Welcome to CVR4 Isaac. I think my learned friends above have answered your questions excellently.

Have fun and see you around :-D

I-S
27-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I think on that basis the VR4 is entirely unrealistic on my sub £20k (pre tax) salary (since they'd want more than 10% of that in insurance alone), although I'm gunning for a raise in the next few months.

Trading in my GLS for a V6-24 might be an option at some point however, and I'll consider it...