PDA

View Full Version : Do you use automatic carwashes?

Robotnik123
10-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I usually handwash my car, but it is a chore and a black car like mine really attracts dirt. Just wondering who here just takes their cars thru automated carwashes of the type with the spinning brushes and water jets found at petrol stations? Does it concern you that your paintwork might be damaged?

Subaru ETA
10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
i sometimes take mine through, but i find that with the shape of our front bumper it misses alot of it. its real noticable on a white car!

Robotnik123
10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
When I first got the Legnum I sometimes took it to a touchless carwash - one which cleaned only with waterjets and no brushes, but then one time a Honda Orthia wagon which was ahead of me in the cue got its rear spoiler wrenched off when it went thru. I decided not to risk going there again after that!

Kieran
10-11-2007, 01:18 PM
God no! I never use an automatic carwash for my Legnum! Bleurgh!!/pan /pan /pan

Robotnik123
10-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but you're the club's car detailing master, aren't you?

Have you ever done any detailing tutorials?

I must say, I don't really know how to wash a car properly. Today for instance I was having a devil of a time removing road tar. It occurred to me that perhaps I could use household cleaner of some sort, but decided not to, lest it damage the paint. Could I have used say oven degreaser on the car??:inquisiti

Alex
10-11-2007, 02:43 PM

That was very restrained Kieran, I was expecting your usual full on rant about how evil car washes are!

Nick Mann
10-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Apart from the normal worry of scratches/dents/damage, there is a warning somewhere in the owners gumph about the rear spoiler being ripped off. So - never used one for the VR4!

Kieran has written stuff somewhere. He isn't the only autistic cleaner in the club but he's the most outspoken!

Johnny_Cashed
10-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Try this place http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/

Nick VR4
10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
The only One I have used is the ones with a jet spray and car rotates on a turntable

ianturbo
10-11-2007, 04:53 PM
i read on here somewere about the sticker on drivers do translates to "do not use in automatic car washes due to rear spoiler " don't know what colour sticker is cause mine aint there bt is a mark were it was !
ian

richy rich
10-11-2007, 07:07 PM
simple answer is no.

I just use the local hand cleaning services that are popping up every where.

stuartturbo
10-11-2007, 07:58 PM
never but i will use the pay as you go jet wash for a quicky

Beastlee
10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
We use the pressure washer units here, like they have at UK Morrisons. In Germany it is illegal to wash your car on your drive, particularly on a Sunday. Most seem to go to the Autowashers, however, they appear to be so much better here.
We like the jetwash as we can give it a good wash and spray on wax for about £4. Whilst we are finfing our feet it works a treat.

Johnny_Cashed
10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Illegal to wash your car on your drive? Especially on a sunday?? Please elaborate

DickBarton
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I use a jetwash...£3 each weekend - first £2 is the soap, then the foam brush then the high pressure wash off...last quid is left purely for wax...I figure 3 minutes of waxing should leave enough of it on to last a bit...

I sometime hand wash it but I always end up missing bits and it's dead obvious...a jetwash/foam brush seems to do the job and it reasonably cheap...

Beastlee
10-11-2007, 08:18 PM
German environmental law and forbids you washing or for that matter working on your on car on your drive unless your drain ha an oil filter system fitted. It redues the pollutants that are then transferred to the drains.

Sundays and Public Holidays are classed as day of rest and anything that may be seen as manual labour of any kind is against the law, you are lucky to find any shops open. On Mon - Sat between 13:00 and 15:00 and after 19:00 as well as all day Sunday you must not undertake activities that make noise or disturb others. You could be arrested for something as simple as slamming a car door after hours!

The Germans abide by these laws quite strictly and have been known to shop in the Brits who don't comply!

Kieran
10-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Pffffffffffft! I doubt I'll move to Germany then!!:inquisiti:inquisiti

Beastlee
10-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Nobody said you can't polish it Kieran, just don't make a noise whilst you're doing it ;)

ANTHONY
10-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Nobody said you can't polish it Kieran, just don't make a noise whilst you're doing it ;)so no heavy breathing

stuartturbo
10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
just for K
/pan

Kieran
11-11-2007, 02:06 AM
At least it wasn't a Japanese car.... /Fever

Throbbe
11-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but you're the club's car detailing master, aren't you?

Have you ever done any detailing tutorials?

I must say, I don't really know how to wash a car properly. Today for instance I was having a devil of a time removing road tar. It occurred to me that perhaps I could use household cleaner of some sort, but decided not to, lest it damage the paint. Could I have used say oven degreaser on the car??:inquisiti

Detailing World (as linked above) can be a bit bewildering! Quite a bit of 'emperors new clothes' syndrome about favourite products, and conflicting information. However, it is an excellent resource. Search for some of DaveKG's guides, as they are very well written.

Washing wise I'd recommend a lambswool mitt (and another for dirty areas like wheelarches) and two buckets. One to hold your washing water and the other one to rinse out the mitt after each pass. You'll be amazed how much dirt comes out of the mitt that could otherwise be scratching your paint.

I'd also suggest patting dry with a waffle weave microfibre towel rather than a chamois.

After that , you can do as little or as much as you want, but as a next step I'd look at 'claying'.

As for the tar spots, I tend to use the Autoglym bug and tar remover.

miller
12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Pleeeeeeeeeease never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use the auto washes. Imagine how much grit is stuck to all those 3ft 'whips' of 'brush cloth' rotating at god knows how many revolutions slapping your pride and joy.

Support the local eastern european community, get it handwashed and polish it yourself!

Mike

Ryan
12-11-2007, 01:46 AM
I generally hand wash and wax it but occasionally use auto ones if I'm feeling lazy. I think they're also good for an under body wash.

Subaru ETA
12-11-2007, 08:46 AM
as i said, if been in mud or something ill quickly take it to carwash, but usually get groomer at work to do it :D

Rambaud
12-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Last time I used one was over 10 years ago.

It's the either the mobile ones at Sainsburys or the more upmarket ones at tesco. :)

VR-04-TT
13-11-2007, 12:52 PM
imho, brush car washes are the devil. Brushless ones aren't too bad but don't really clean that well. They're good for the undercarriage wash though.

AncientOfMu
13-11-2007, 01:22 PM
People use what they want to. Better for the likes of me when they actually want thier car to look nice :). that reminds me I must buy some more supplies for the Ford Focus Ive been asked to do :D.....

What I have to keep reminding myself is the majority of the population think of a car as a means to get from a-b and nothing more.

bernmc
13-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Quite partial to the old hand job meself :D

My favourite juice is Zaino - great stuff but bloody hard work. A bit of a blurb here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18541

Oblivion
14-11-2007, 12:29 AM
I never use auto car washes!! If you want a good job done you have to do it yourself, risking getting your precious VR4 scratched up just isnt worth it

d i c k i e s
14-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Ive only used it twice on the leggie. Thats when the hose was broken.

But ever since... i hand wash n wax my car. takes me ages too! (2-3 hrs) everyfornight i do mine. cos the car is white, you see everything. its hard to get under the arches. Tar from the road gets stuck etc. But looks nice when shes done!

Some times i take it to my mates car groomer company. (FREE of course)

Nevman
14-11-2007, 01:41 AM
i read on here somewere about the sticker on drivers do translates to "do not use in automatic car washes due to rear spoiler " don't know what colour sticker is cause mine aint there bt is a mark were it was !
ian

That's true, my RalliArt manual says that in english /Devil5

bernmc
14-11-2007, 12:42 PM
That's true, my RalliArt manual says that in english /Devil5

Feck! A talking book! With this we shall rule the world!

White Lightning
14-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I never use automatic car washes and I would never just a local handwash. I always clean the cars by hand myself.