PDA

View Full Version : I'd like 18 inches please........

jayjay99
12-11-2007, 07:00 PM
.......I know there's is a million and one threads about "will this fit?" "will that fit?" And I have another........

Basically I am looking to upgrade from standard 16's to 18's without rolling the arches as I have flared arches bolted to them and a my car is lowered on Tein springs. I have been using this calculator (http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html) for wheel size. Now, my standard tyres are 225x50x16 on an 6.5" rim which have a diameter of 24.858", a set of 18" alloys that I'm thinking of are 225x40x18 on an 7.5" rim which have a diameter of 25.087" which gives a difference of 0.114" on each side of the wheel. I can't see that that is an issue and would make it start rubbing, so I would assume it has to be to do with the width, now if I'm using the same width tyre (225) would this not eleviate this problem, or is it the actual alloy that rubs? Is it possible to get an 18x6.5 alloy, would this solve that problem?

I understand that's alot of questions but I don't have access to spare 18" alloys that I can try and I don't want to spend a £1000 on a set of alloys only to find they don't fit and I have to resell them as I can't take them back.

Can anyone recommend 18" alloy makes that they have put on a lowered car with no issue? I'd really like some black ones with a silver rim.

Cheers guys and girls!

Wodjno
12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
.......I know there's is a million and one threads about "will this fit?" "will that fit?" And I have another........

Basically I am looking to upgrade from standard 16's to 18's without rolling the arches as I have flared arches bolted to them and a my car is lowered on Tein springs. I have been using this calculator (http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html) for wheel size. Now, my standard tyres are 225x50x16 on an 6.5" rim which have a diameter of 24.858", a set of 18" alloys that I'm thinking of are 225x40x18 on an 7.5" rim which have a diameter of 25.087" which gives a difference of 0.114" on each side of the wheel. I can't see that that is an issue and would make it start rubbing, so I would assume it has to be to do with the width, now if I'm using the same width tyre (225) would this not eleviate this problem, or is it the actual alloy that rubs? Is it possible to get an 18x6.5 alloy, would this solve that problem?

I understand that's alot of questions but I don't have access to spare 18" alloys that I can try and I don't want to spend a £1000 on a set of alloys only to find they don't fit and I have to resell them as I can't take them back.

Can anyone recommend 18" alloy makes that they have put on a lowered car with no issue? I'd really like some black ones with a silver rim.

Cheers guys and girls!

I thought u changed yours for 18's a few months ago ? Or did u not get roundtuit ?

The 1 important thing you have not mantioned or taken into consideration, is Offset.. You can have 15" wheels and tyres on your car, but get the wrong offset and they will rub..
I can totally verify that 225-40-18's on a 7 1/2" rim with a 45mm offset, have no rubbing issues whatsoever. And mine has been lowered a fair bit :D

bradc
12-11-2007, 07:28 PM
yeah wodj is pretty much right :) Although with a 45mm offset, the wheels will most likely not clear brembo's, if you ever intend on doing that mod.

jayjay99
13-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I was going to get some but never got round to it, I decided to lower it first. Next I'm going to do the alloys and then the exhaust..... I did wanna get brembos..... but I guess that will have to be a sacrifice :( Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll start looking! :)

bradc
13-11-2007, 07:37 AM
If you stick with 17" EVO 5-9 wheels you won't have to roll the guards with 225/45 tyres, and they can clear brembo's fine. The 7-9 wheels even have the mitsi diamond in the middle so they look just like stock wheels!

jayjay99
13-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Hmm... I'll have to look and compare..... 17 or 18? :thinking:

WildCards
13-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Lower unsprung mass out of the 17's

Wodjno
13-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Lower unsprung mass out of the 17's

Which will make exactly how much difference to the performance of a 300bhp car ??:inquisiti

White Lightning
13-11-2007, 05:39 PM
And cheaper tyres on 17" wheels ...

WildCards
13-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Which will make exactly how much difference to the performance of a 300bhp car ??:inquisiti

It could be a 1000hp car, decreasing the unsprung mass will always better the handling characteristics of a car.

'The unsprung weight of a wheel controls a trade-off between a wheel's bump-following ability and its vibration isolation. Bumps and surface imperfections in the road cause tire compression--which induces a force on the unsprung weight. In time, the unsprung weight then responds to this force with movement of its own. The amount of movement is inversely proportional to the weight - a lighter wheel which readily moves in response to road bumps will have more grip when tracking over an imperfect road. For this reason, lighter wheels are often sought for high-performance applications. In contrast, a heavier wheel which moves less will not absorb as much vibration; the irregularities of the road surface will transfer to the cabin through the geometry of the suspension and hence ride quality is deteriorated.'

If your looking for a track car Glenn (or any other car driven hard), you may find some of this (http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/sprung-c.htm) interesting reading

bradc
13-11-2007, 07:18 PM
yeah what he said ^^^^

hence why I own my very light Wedsport TC-005's

jayjay99
14-11-2007, 09:31 AM
So it's looks versus ride quality..... I guess 17's will still fill the aches better.

Wodjno
14-11-2007, 10:46 AM
It could be a 1000hp car, decreasing the unsprung mass will always better the handling characteristics of a car.

If your looking for a track car Glenn (or any other car driven hard), you may find some of this (http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/sprung-c.htm) interesting reading

Not looking for a track car and i know all the ins and outs of unsprung weight /pan

My point is, that the VR4 isn't an out and out track race car, and the amount of use that its going to get as one is going to be limited. I think when it comes to choosing things like wheels for a daily driver, that you can go to in depth into things like unsprung weight.. The difference a set of 17's against a set of 18's is going to make is negligible..(And if your that worried about unsprung weight ? then i'm sure there a re some lightweight 18's out there that are lighter than some 17's or 16's) Unless your a driver who is at the very top of there game and would actually benefit from a little less unsprung weight ! (and then we are prolly talking 100ths of a second over the lap of a track) Then i say if the you like the look. and can afford the wheel and tyres that go on it.. Then buy it and fit it :scholar:
I can't say that my 18's have ever made me go slower than anyone else on 17's or 16's :inquisiti

sanct
14-11-2007, 10:56 AM
So it's looks versus ride quality..... I guess 17's will still fill the aches better.

I would defo go for the 17's(Evos) for several reasons.
Having the Mits logo so keeping a stock look is the way forward.
The stealth element of our cars is one that should be preserved.
I have always had a bit of an issue with creating the 'fast and the clueless' look.
Having said that 18's can look very nice if tasteful. (don't mean to offend anyone :iloveyou: )

Nick Mann
14-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Go for whichever you like. Have a look on the Evo forums - I often have a look at www.lancerregister.com - and see what they are using. Anything that fits an Evo will fit a VR4, but we will experience rubbage slightly before most of them do. I would say if the wheels fit an Evo 5 with Brembos, you are in the best ball park for a VR4 with Brembos.

White Lightning has pictures of his car on Evo 6 rims.
I have pictures of mine on Evo 7 rims.
Many have Evo 8 rims, inc. BraindG.
Pezza had some Evo 8 MR rims on his for a while.
Brunty has Evo 9 wheels on his.

bradc
14-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I also have had EVO 7 and 8 wheels on mine, and all of the EVO wheels suit the Legnums very well.

WildCards
14-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Not looking for a track car and i know all the ins and outs of unsprung weight /pan

My point is, that the VR4 isn't an out and out track race car, and the amount of use that its going to get as one is going to be limited. I think when it comes to choosing things like wheels for a daily driver, that you can go to in depth into things like unsprung weight.. The difference a set of 17's against a set of 18's is going to make is negligible..(And if your that worried about unsprung weight ? then i'm sure there a re some lightweight 18's out there that are lighter than some 17's or 16's) Unless your a driver who is at the very top of there game and would actually benefit from a little less unsprung weight ! (and then we are prolly talking 100ths of a second over the lap of a track) Then i say if the you like the look. and can afford the wheel and tyres that go on it.. Then buy it and fit it :scholar:
I can't say that my 18's have ever made me go slower than anyone else on 17's or 16's :inquisiti

Whatever

Wodjno
14-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Whatever

You on Rag ?? :inquisiti

Permanently :thinking:

WildCards
14-11-2007, 01:13 PM
You on Rag ?? :inquisiti

Permanently :thinking:

What? why, because I couldn't be arsed to respond? /pan

Wodjno
14-11-2007, 01:13 PM
What? why, because I couldn't be arsed to respond? /pan

But you did respond /pan

WildCards
14-11-2007, 01:22 PM
But you did respond /pan

Out of courtesy. I know it's hard to believe, but I actually had some work to do this morning, normal service has resumed now though.

Whats the problem with me stating that 17" wheels in general will be lighter than 18? Jay asked about wheels, I stated a fact. IMO for a fast road car i'd rather have lighter wheels because they track better on uneven surfaces, which alot of UK roads are, I genuinely think it's of benefit to normal road cars to have lighter wheels. If you want comfort buy heavier wheels, if you want looks buy bling wheels etc etc.

Wodjno
14-11-2007, 01:30 PM

"Whatever" is a a reply out of courtesy ? :speechles

And where in the above ! Can you see me saying you can's have an opinion about 17" wheels ? The above script is just me having my opinion about different wheel sizes :inquisiti

If you want to take, my having an opinion as slagging off your opinion they carry on :baby:

If i didn't have enough time to type a reply.. I would have typed nothing until a time that i had enough time.. /yes not "Whatever" this just sounds like your on rag :baby:

Anyway !! I have work to do :speechles Unlike some :D

WildCards
14-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Anyway !! I have work to do :speechles Unlike some :D

Indeed, the chip shop is calling.

"Whatever" this just sounds like your on rag
Mate, that wasn't my intention, I was saying it as 'fair enough, you have your opinion' I have in no way got the ump and as far as i'm aware i'm not on the rag.

Anyway... chips.

jayjay99
15-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Damn.... didn't mean to create such a disturbance in the force! :end:

Thanks for both of your opinions, I can see what you are both saying. I'm still undecided and think it will come down to shopping for both and weighing up prices and styles etc.

Sanct, I know what you mean about the stealth look of our cars but I want to start bringing mine out of the shadows a bit, countless times I pull up to lights, next to a car that is worthy or I'd get pleasure in beating but because they are not expecting it I have no troubles and it's no fun unless they try. I want them to come along side and think that I might pull off a bit quickly so they put there foot down and 'try'. Then I can get the pleasure I deserve in beating them! :smug: