View Full Version : Carbotech Pads

orionn2o
14-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Which ones shall I buy??

Panther+/AX6 - Fast Road

OR

XP8 - Fast Road/Track

Anyone know the pros/cons of the two??

Cost is neither here nor there so whats the best?

MPBVr4
14-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Have you got Brembos or standard calipers?
XP8 seem the most commonly used I think, but found they
squealed badly in the Brembos.

Brunty
14-11-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm very happy with my Panther+

Only very occassionally get squeal.

fifeweegie
14-11-2007, 01:47 PM
I've just bought some XP8s, but their not getting fitted until next week so I can't comment on how good they are yet (or otherwise).

I found the 2 guys at carbotech (Ian and Tim) to be helpful and knowledgeable - Ian's seems happy to discuss how you normally drive and on what kind of roads and make a recommendation based on that.

Ian's email is - tqs@btinternet.com

Carbotechs number is 01768 885000

orionn2o
14-11-2007, 02:13 PM
thanks guys... running on standard calipers... just trying to decide between the two... I'm hoping to do some track days next year. But also use the car for work which is country lanes.

Kieran
14-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I am on standard calipers too and because I do the occasional bout of fast driving (once a year at Castle Combe! /pan) Tim (who was extremely helpful as has already been said), suggested the XP8s. Personally I was leaning towards the lower temp panthers, but went with Tim's recommendation.

I do not regret my purchase. They are noisy pads, particularly with grooved discs, but they don't squeal. When they've got a bit of heat in them it sounds like you've got a bunch of canaries twittering away under each wheel arch - but it's not loud enough to set your teeth on edge.

I find them acceptable from cold; that is to say they will stop you and they bit better than the previous Redstuffs did from cold, but they still need an application or two before they really wake up. Once you've got some heat in them they haul up in an almost scary fashion. When you bed them in, it tells you to do a couple of REALLY hard stops - and oh BOY do you discover what your steering wheel looks like at point blank range!:afro:

stuartturbo
14-11-2007, 07:07 PM
as above /lol

psbarham
14-11-2007, 09:45 PM
i'm running XP8's (and i was the first :D) and when they are cold the arn't bad, way beeter than standard pads , when warm they sqauk like a canary on speed, when hot they try to detach your face from your skull, i'm running mintex grooved discs (294 mm i was the first :D) and tbh its probably my own fault they twitter a bit when warm, i didn't really go too gently on the bedding in of the discs /rally ho hum

thetyrant
21-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Always glad to help :).... keep the feedback coming guys.

Cheers
Ian

Mark 4
21-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I've got Evo Brembos and Carbotech Panther plus. They are the best brakes I have ever used, absolutely brilliant. BUT, they squeal like you would not believe when they are hot. Ian kindly sent me some shims foc and I will be fitting these as soon as I have a spare moment. Hopefully this will cure the problem. I have heard from other people though that the Brembos will squeal with anything but the standard pads fitted.

thetyrant
21-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I've got Evo Brembos and Carbotech Panther plus. They are the best brakes I have ever used, absolutely brilliant. BUT, they squeal like you would not believe when they are hot. Ian kindly sent me some shims foc and I will be fitting these as soon as I have a spare moment. Hopefully this will cure the problem. I have heard from other people though that the Brembos will squeal with anything but the standard pads fitted.

Mark hopefully the shims i sent will help, but i have some more info now as we did some testing last week on a Evo8 we had in with terrible squeal after fitting P+ pads, we tried all sorts and eventually all but cured it by fitting the mitsubishi shims and repeating the bed in process 4 or 5 times, making sure to allow with plenty of cool down between each 15 minute hard bed-in session, seems getting the discs and pads conditioned together is the answer on these brembo calipers... with the harder compound pads like ours and other uprated pads it takes longer to do...they are a nightmare! but we got there in the end and customer was very happy afterwards :D

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Ian

psbarham
21-11-2007, 08:11 PM
ian, any clues on the 2 pots squealing?

thetyrant
21-11-2007, 08:13 PM
ian, any clues on the 2 pots squealing?

Paul,
Never had a problem with any but the brembos for squeal :(... i would sugest stripping pads out and giving them a good rough with 40grit or similar paper then refit and bed-in hard see if that helps, your not down to the rivets are you ?...they have been in awhile ;)

Cheers
Ian

psbarham
21-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Paul,
Never had a problem with any but the brembos for squeal :(... i would sugest stripping pads out and giving them a good rough with 40grit or similar paper then refit and bed-in hard see if that helps, your not down to the rivets are you ?...they have been in awhile ;)

Cheers
Ian

nah definatly not down to the rivets , the poor bloody car never moves these days and when it does the kids are in the back /Grrr
i'll give it a re-bedding as soon as i get a chance

orionn2o
27-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Got my XP8s ready to be fitted as soon as my disks turn up!

Had excellent service from Carbotech. Would recommend others to buy from them. Can't comment on the quality yet, but from what everyone else says I'm going to be happy!

Kieran
27-11-2007, 02:00 PM
You'll like the bedding in process - Make sure you pick a quiet bit of road to do it!:afro:

stuey
27-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm gonna be needing new front pads (and maybe discs) soon so will be interested to see how the carbotechs fair. I was gonna go EBC redstuff. Like the greenstuff, as they work well on the other car.

psbarham
27-11-2007, 06:23 PM
You'll like the bedding in process - Make sure you pick a quiet bit of road to do it!:afro:

oh yeh, the bedding in procedure is great fun, unfortunatly the procedure to have your retinas reatched isn't, but its ok you get used to it after a while :inquisiti

thetyrant
03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Got my XP8s ready to be fitted as soon as my disks turn up!

Had excellent service from Carbotech. Would recommend others to buy from them. Can't comment on the quality yet, but from what everyone else says I'm going to be happy!

Enjoy :D

CHeers
Ian