PDA

View Full Version : problem with steering

kingdar
14-11-2007, 03:28 PM
hi everyone,hows it going?im a new member from kildare in ireland.my names darren and just want to say what a great site this is.its good to know plenty of other people love the vr4!i have mine about 2 months.its' a 99 4 door saloon model,its black and its manual.always wanted 1 and was brilliant when i finally got my hands on the beast!:happy:slowly started to mod the car,had standerd wheels when i got it so bought a set of 18" rota gtr lightweight wheels for it.there kinda black/gunmetal grey colour and they make the car even more aggressive looking.last week i fitted a hks dumpvalve to the car and since then ive had a few problems with the car.as i drove back from the garage i lost complete power in the car.switched off as i was driving.turned back on straight away but was a buit dodgy.2 days later same thing happened as i was going round a bend and lost power steering and when i turned the car back on power steering hadnt come back.now in the last 6 days i havnt lost power but power steering hasnt come back.its really annoying and ruining the driving of the car.would it be the rack?should i take the dump valve back out?if any 1 has any ideas that would be great

bradc
14-11-2007, 06:31 PM
They can cause stalling issues because air that had already been measured by the air flow sensor is suddenly disappearing out into the atmosphere.

Very strange that the power steering would die, I would guess that it is a completely unrelated fault.

The Vee
14-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Just wondering if it has blown off some vacuum/ boost hoses, in particular check the valve that is mounted by the front cam cover - should have two small diameter hoses coming off the top of it.

Turbo_Steve
14-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Agreed, sounds like either a vacuum hose has come off, or there's a leak around the dumpvalve itself. It's also possible that stalling whilst steering has induced an airlock in your powersteering if it was already low on fluid.

kingdar
16-11-2007, 04:24 PM
thanks for de advice lads.all the hoses are there though so must be sumting else.the car is getting serviced thursday in mitsubishi garage and by fellow vr4 owner so il get him to giv de car good going over.just wondering as well wat wud you go for 1st as a mod and which makes more of a difference,wud ya put in a stainless steel exhaust with a de cat or wud ya remap the ecu to take 95 octane?

MPBVr4
16-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi welcome to the club mate. I hope you get your probs sorted out. De Cat and exhaust is a good place to start. You can't remap the ECU unfortunately but a boost controller works wonders apparently (I havn't got 1)

edit Sorry didn't read your post properly. You can run on 95 but it may knock the power down a bit.