PDA

View Full Version : evo 4 /pre facelift

ianturbo
15-11-2007, 12:18 AM
i have just got some lancer 4 discs of MLR fit a treat ,bloke i got em off has gone the brembo way and say evo 5/8 discs and calipers bolt straight on !!
are lancer 4 same set up as pre face lift or have i got wrong end of stick as his discs went on no probs !:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
ian

miller
15-11-2007, 12:29 AM
interesting way of brake upgrades if they do fit the pre-facelift. might be a cheaper option than brembos. Are the Evo brakes up to much?

Mike

peter thomson
15-11-2007, 12:32 AM
The Evo 4 has the same brakes as we have . Evo5 onwards have brembos and we then need facelift hubs as far as I know

ianturbo
15-11-2007, 12:33 AM
i think your getting wrong end of the stick ! evo 4 brakes are the same as pre face legnums ,i got his new discs he had not used due to upgrade to brembos
and he says it was a bolt on job no makin brakets and stuff !
ian

ianturbo
15-11-2007, 12:39 AM
:
The Evo 4 has the same brakes as we have . Evo5 onwards have brembos and we then need facelift hubs as far as I know
i have just mailed him to see if a hub change was involved , but in his last message it was a bolt on job !!:thinking: :thinking:
ian

miller
15-11-2007, 12:40 AM
So his unused discs which you have are Evo 5/6 or a different make??

Mike

ianturbo
15-11-2007, 12:46 AM
evo 4 as far as i know , he got the brembos and discs of a evo 5/8 and fit straight on ! thats why i'm askin ,i was told to fit brembos to pre legs then a hub and abs sensor change was involved , if his have gone on then ????
ian

ianturbo
15-11-2007, 12:49 AM
just got reply and no hub change or sensor change !!!!!
ian

bradc
15-11-2007, 04:23 AM
evo 4 have facelift VR-4 calipers, which is why you can bolt on evo brembos.

facelift and prefacelift VR-4's have the same sized discs

d i c k i e s
15-11-2007, 07:50 AM
does anyone know the part number for the brembo kits for our cars?

bradc
15-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Just ask for anything that will fit an evo5-9 if you have a facelift

Nick Mann
15-11-2007, 10:41 AM
As Brad says - the brembo calipers will not bolt on to a pre-facelift. The hub carrier is different. The calipers on all VR4s are fundamentally the same, but the mounting is different. The facelift shares the mounting points of the Evo 4 onwards, so Brembos are an easy swap. The prefacelift has different mounting points for the caliper, so the calipers are not easily interchangeable.

All VR4s with standard brakes can use the Evo 4 disk and pad.

ianturbo
15-11-2007, 01:41 PM
there my answer then !!
cheers !
ian

Davezj
16-11-2007, 12:12 AM
well it is not really the answer.

you said he bolted the new brembo 5/9 calipers on with no modification if what has been said above is true, then these caliper could not have fitted on to the standard EVO 4 Hubs.

so how did this got done, someone must be wrong.

bradc
16-11-2007, 02:10 AM
evo 4 hubs are the same as 5-9, and facelift vr-4's

prefacelifts are different.

Nick Mann
16-11-2007, 08:36 PM
And just to clarify further, the hubs are all the same, it is the hub carrier and bolt spacing on the caliper which differs.

And Davezj - can you tell me what is contradictory on my previous post? As Brad says, the facelift VR4 and Evo 4 onwards all share the same caliper bolt spacing. So the Brembos fit all of them just as easily. The Prefacelift VR4 has a different bolt spacing on the caliper and carrier, so even though the calipers are fundamentally the same as the facelift VR4 and the Evo 4, they are not interchangeable.

I can't think how else to say it?

Davezj
16-11-2007, 09:39 PM
hi i should have used the quote function as i was pointing to the info in the original post

i was told that the none brembo Evo 1/4 disks and calipers would fit on the prefacelift VR4 without modification.

the Brembo version Calipers EVO4-9 had different bolt spacing on them and would not on a prefacelift.

so the confusion arose when it was said that a none brembo evo4 had brembo calipers bolted straight on with out modification.

So do i have some duff info.
is this true then,
only the EVO 1-3 calipers will fit on a prefacelift, and they are not brembo versions. So is there any benefit in doing that swap? or is the brake setup the same on evo1-3 and VR4.

The disks from the evo 1-9 have the same PCD 114.3mm as the prefacelift and facelift VR4 so any of the disks will fit. only with the correct sized caliper and conversion bracket or hub CARRIER change of course, a 320mm disk will not fit under a standard vr4 caliper.

is that right

Nick Mann
18-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't know about the brakes on the Evo 1-3. But I doubt they will be superior to the VR4's even if they fit. The Evo 4 has the same bolt spacing on the caliper/hub carrier as the facelift VR4 and the later Evo's. I don't know what spacing the Evo 1-3 has.

The Evo 1-3 has four stud wheels, IIRC. So the discs certainly will not fit a VR4.

Turbo_Steve
18-11-2007, 08:48 PM
As above: Evo I-III have 4 stud fitment, so forget disks.

From memory, Calipers are identical from the "business" side (i.e. wheels). They look very similar from behind, but I couldn't vouch 100% for the fitment.

Davezj
19-11-2007, 02:36 PM
cheers for that info that clears it up.

there is a set of brembos going on ebay that have 4 studs and the guy selling them is saying they came off an evo 6, and will fit evo 1-6.

obviously not. only good for evo 1-3.

bradc
19-11-2007, 07:39 PM
link?

Davezj
19-11-2007, 07:46 PM
link?

as requested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280173562363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

bradc
19-11-2007, 08:09 PM
hmm, they look like evo brembo calipers, but have different discs. maybe you could offer him some money for just the calipers?

jpnvr4
03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
i dunno it's looks like a close call ... I'm very interested in this thread as I have a pre-face .... I want brembos but gettin the hubs is a B***h.. they go soooooooo fast .... so I'm lookin 4 a next way out

MunkyWrench
09-01-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm also after the hub carriers!
Mines a manual, so I get first dibs.

Turbo_Steve
09-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't see much point in changing the calipers unless it's for appearances: So much has been achieved on the Evo 1-3 braking system that changing the calipers seems something of a waste of time.
Braided lines will massively improve pedal feel.
Higher Quality Discs and pads will eliminate fade.
Regular fluid changes with decent quality fluid will prevent 'sogginess'.
Having used a Brembo, and an AP setup, all you really get is a "harder" pedal with more feel. Which is nice and everything, but I'm not convinced it's worth all that money, especially on the VR-4s, which aren't the most communicative of cars in so many other ways.

What always surprises me, is that with all those vents in the front bumper of the VR-4, none of them are pointing at the brakes! Every other performance car I have had with slots all over the front has had some kind of ducting to the front brakes. On the VR-4 it seems to all be cosmetic!

Nick Mann
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Brake fade.

I have taken a few brake setups on a VR4 Legnum over the mountain section of the TT circuit.

By the time you are on the downhill stretch, you want the brakes to be working! The standard setup was toast before the downhill. At least I knew before I got there! The uprated (Grooved discs and DS2500 pads) let me down at 130mph with Kates Cottage disappearing in my rear view mirror. The Brembos with Pagid Blue pads never even felt like they were getting warm.

Just my thoughts!

Joe_M
18-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one.

evo 4 hubs are the same as 5-9, and facelift vr-4's

prefacelifts are different.
Does this mean that the hub carriers from an evo 4 (or indeed any evo) would bolt onto a prefacelift?

Thanks in advance!

bradc
18-05-2008, 08:49 PM
no, because even though they are the right spacing, the EVO suspension is different and the carrier won't bolt on

Joe_M
18-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Cheers Brad. Never mind!

shaun1978
18-05-2008, 09:33 PM
edit: sorry need to read the next page!