PDA

View Full Version : Can some one help me?

JKraut
15-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I am looking at imported a 2001 Galant VR4 into the US but i have ran into a few snags. Mainly with the engine. I have been talking to a company that converts imports to meet US regulations and they told me that the Galant is not an OBD ii car. Does anyone know if it is or not? Or what computer system it is running on? Also does anyone know if the Galnt VR4 was manufactured to meet Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS)? These Two are my big problems. Any other info or suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

WildCards
15-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Nope it's not ODBII i'm afraid, do a search, i'm sure you'll find alot of useful or condemning information. I can't help with the FMVSS unfortunately.

Nick Mann
15-11-2007, 10:09 PM
It is nearly OBDII but not quite. I understand that it was developed before ODBII became the standard but when ODBII was obviously going to arise. The diagnostics socket is the same shape and size, the connections are at least similar, but the language is different.

I would be suprised if the car was manufactured to a US safety standard when it was built - it was never designed to be sold there. However, it can't be far off as you do have a USDM version. Let us know if you find anything out that could be useful for people asking the same in the future! :thumbsup:

JKraut
16-11-2007, 07:11 PM
The main thing I found out is if the VR4 is not made to US saftey standards the ICI company that would do the conversion of the car would need to do crash testing on the car. About seven cars would be needed to do the crash testing. Also since the computer system is not OBDii they would need to develope some software for that as well. Pretty much unless we have $500,000 to $1,000,000 US, this idea is not possible. I'm still trying to look into it some more because i would love to have this car, but i my have to upgrade my 2001 galant es with a turbo and all wheel drive myself. If anyone knows anyone with lots of money they don't know what to do with let me know and i can help them out. After the intail import is over here and is accepted by both the EWPA and the DOT it will be a lot cheaper and easier for us here in the US to import the VR4 Probally about $30,000. That is what happened with the R33 skyline.