PDA

View Full Version : Changing a sidelight (or not!)

TeamZombie
15-11-2007, 07:08 PM
So at 4.15pm when I got in from work tonight, I thought I'd quickly change the sidelight that I noticed was out yesterday.

"Shall I check on the forums to see if there's an easy way to get at the bulbs?" I thought. "Nah, I'll just wing it..."

So 5pm comes around and I've managed to bust the clip off the back of the main bulb trying to get the damn rubber seal off without removing the whole headlight surround :oops:

So I quickly check on the forum and find that it's a simple job to get the headlight unit out. But is it simple when you're trying to do it in pitch-black, with no-one to hold a torch, plugs on the back of the unit that have never been removed so they appear to be welded on with age, and freezing cold hands? No, not so simple.

Anyway, as I start to wiggle around the back of the unit, the bloody sidelight comes on! Turns out it was just a dodgy connector! /Grrr

So instead of just checking all the connectors like I should have done in the first place, I've spent the past hour farting about taking the whole unit out, fixing the main bulb clip and putting it all back together, in the dark and freezing cold. /duh

I guess I could've given up and sorted it at the weekend, but that would've meant driving my Metro to work :thumbsdow

A word of advice to anyone going anywhere near the headlights: do it the easy way, take off the radiator grill and remove the whole unit. Preferably in daylight. And when it's warm.

Gav

SGHOM
15-11-2007, 07:12 PM
easy job innit ??.......................... NOT !! /Grrr /pan

miller
15-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Ahhh hello Gav! Recognise you from GTOUK!!

Im another defector to the VR-4 Badge!

Mitsubishi's all the same...making life difficult for us!

Mike

ANTHONY
15-11-2007, 11:36 PM

Mikeor you could call it fun

TeamZombie
15-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Ahhh hello Gav! Recognise you from GTOUK!!

Im another defector to the VR-4 Badge!

Mike

I did see your original post when you were looking to buy, and I was going to say hey and recommend these VR-4s, but before I had chance to say anything you'd already bought one!

Here's an interesting comparison: you had an NA GTO right? So what's the performance compare like between the GTO and the Legnum?

Gav

miller
15-11-2007, 11:56 PM
kinda hard to tell, off the line the VR-4 kills the n/a gto but i think the gto has stronger legs beyond the ton. hard to know. Julian and I are gonna go head to head on 1/4 mile next year see if the stats really stand up for themselves on the VR-4.

Maybe cos im new and taking it easy the VR-4 seems shy enough beyond 120(when tested on a private track:scholar: )

Am missing the growl of the GTO but the VR-4 is staying standard. Giving my ears a chance to recover after the last three years of a de-cat and straight piped GTO:afro:

Mike