PDA

View Full Version : export fun

theta1602
27-01-2004, 09:34 PM
How's it goin y'all...
Does anybody know of the possibility of finding a wrecked VR-4 and getting that shipped somewhere? I would imagine that it'd be easier to get an already-f**ked (edited spirit979) car past customs...parts car, y'know...so I figured there's more than a few junk yards in the UK. Anyway, enough rambling. I was hoping to find a wrecked VR-4, pull the essential bits out of it (engine, wiring harness, AWD system) and put it into a USDM Galant. They're the same body (depending on year) and I'd imagine it's possible with a little elbow grease to get a "usdm" VR-4. So yeah...if anybody's got any info, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nick Mann
27-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Rare as rocking horse droppings.

If you are talking about the 8g, the underside is different - the VR-4 has a transmission tunnel for the drive to the rear wheels.

It would probably be easier to find one at auction in Japan.

Mante
28-01-2004, 06:53 PM
feels good to hear people doing something I've already done :)

if you have an I4 then you need to get the subframe mounts welded on ot match that of the V6 or Vr4. You would also need the fwd trans from the FTO. Add standalone and have fun. Let me know if you goign to do it...As it stands Im the only to swap the 6a13tt in the us I4 and the first to import a Galant vr4 into the us.

theta1602
04-02-2004, 05:23 AM
[QUOTE=Nick Mann]

If you are talking about the 8g, the underside is different - the VR-4 has a transmission tunnel for the drive to the rear wheels.

how did you get around that? did you have to import one or did a USDM galant handle it? Sounds like minimal fab work. Almost sounds easier than wrx conversion. thanks for the info!

Nick Mann
04-02-2004, 02:18 PM
I got around it by selling the V6-24 and buying a VR4!! :D Not sure what would be needed fabrication wise. I think I read once that the chassis is stiffer and heavier as well. Sorry - can't confirm any specifics.

Mante
04-02-2004, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=Nick Mann]

how did you get around that? did you have to import one or did a USDM galant handle it? Sounds like minimal fab work. Almost sounds easier than wrx conversion. thanks for the info!

Look at what I said previously

Gssplaya
06-02-2004, 04:36 PM
its possible to use parts from a wrecked VR4 to make an ordinary galant into a true VR-4. I did the same thing and viola! I now have the real deal and its LHD too hehehehe!!!! :-D

Mante
06-02-2004, 04:43 PM
its possible to use parts from a wrecked VR4 to make an ordinary galant into a true VR-4. I did the same thing and viola! I now have the real deal and its LHD too hehehehe!!!! :-D

Yes, you would need the fuel tank and rear subframe. Also would have to reroute the exhaust to give clearance for the drivetrain (maybe not what its called but Im not awake yet ) its a costly ordeal, Oh yea the most expensive aspect is the fact that you have to go standalone ems. Go ahead and try using the vr4 ecu, I dare you heh