PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs

miller
18-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Dipped bulb went last night after i picked up my drunken girlfriend from town ha ha anyways after doing a search for references and types on this forum earlier on today off i went to Halfrauds. Found the bulb i wanted and at 19.99 for the H7 Super duper bulbs on bogof i thought hell replace the two. Asked the most senior looking guy to confirm my choice and to fit them. Sod it i thought its pissin rain for two quid let orange and black clad dude get wet!
He then proceeds to tell me there is a warning against Galants and that they have been instructed not to fit them!!! I then asked them to forgive me i thought i was in a motoring shop not morrisons and walked out!

Caught me in a bad mood but hey if ya havent got a corsa or fiesta Halfrauds are as much use as a fart in a space suit.

Rant over, now what the hell are they on about, had a look myself and there aint anything in the way! How difficult is it or is there certain trick/knack before i go and pull it all asunder and break what im not supposed to!

Mike

ps this turned out rather a long post:speechles

Beastlee
18-11-2007, 06:34 PM
It's probably because Mitsi didn't really designt he bulb holders very well and there is a possibility of leaving the bulb in the wrong position and dazling drivers. As I see it that's not a good enough excuse not to fit them, they probably just didn't want to get wet.

ANTHONY
18-11-2007, 06:39 PM
the easiest way it to remove the grill then that out the whole light unit from the car by fat the best way to do it

Nick Mann
18-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Drivers side is not so difficult with the headlight in place, but the battery gets in the way of the passenger side.

It's the same as many cars these days - remove the plug, remove the rubber cap, unclip the spung wire holding it in place, remove the holder, swap the new bulb for the old in the holder, replace holder (ensuring it sits snugly - the tab must be located), clip the retaining wire back in, replace the rubber cap, replace the plug.

The difficult bit is replacing the holder in the right position and clipping the retaining wire back in.

miller
18-11-2007, 10:55 PM
As luck would have it its the passenger side bulb thats gone. Will have to try again to tomorrow at lunch. Reckon its battery out and try from there, if not its grill out etc...ohhh here goes with first work on Leggie myself :thinking:

Need to be in Holyhead for 1.00am Tuesday morning so a night drive Monday/pan so no getting away with it!

Mike

TeamZombie
18-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Mike, I've done the whole "headlight bulb access" thing myself, and trust me, you save a lot of hassle by quickly popping out the front grill and undoing the 4 bolts to take out the entire unit. You can then really easily see what you're doing.

Gav

ANTHONY
18-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Mike, I've done the whole "headlight bulb access" thing myself, and trust me, you save a lot of hassle by quickly popping out the front grill and undoing the 4 bolts to take out the entire unit. You can then really easily see what you're doing.

Gavi'd agree with that

miller
29-11-2007, 07:32 PM
What the hell is going on, my Leggie is eating light bulbs now, all within the space of three weeks!

nearside front fog gone
offside front sidelight gone
nearside rear light gone
number plate light gone

Are these the factory fitted bulbs just coming to their lifes end? or is there something more sinister? IS there any quick guides to parts reference? i have done some searches but dragged up nothing!

Mike

psbarham
29-11-2007, 08:03 PM
that sounds normal, my dash did the same, i took it all apart to change a bulb, put it back together and less than 5 mins later another blew,so out it comes again, 2 days later i took it all out agian as a 3rd buld went so i did the other bugger at the same time.

Turbo_Steve
30-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Usually it's voltage shock: all the bulbs are getting old, and when one bulb goes the others see a sudden voltage spike due to the inductance change.
That spike then in turns weakens all the others, ensuring they WILL go shortly afterwards. Same thing happens in houses sometimes, usually when they run near the current limit of the circuit.

Are they bulbs in the dash, then? I've got the high vis thingy and I thought it was EL or LED?

HMG1K
16-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Replaced ONE headlight this afternoon before it got dark - the drivers side and had to take the unit out to suss out fitting... It got dark so left the driver's side for tomorrow...

I found this fitting the hardest to remove when taking out the headlight unit... It's a white plastic clip, clipping some wire harness to the bodywork of the engine.

The photo below its taken leaning over the side of the driver's side wing, front of the car is to the right of the image... It was getting dark, as the photo shows.

As an aside, anyone know what type the front side lights bulbs are please..? I was sent two packs of Philips BlueVision W5W 5 watts as a freebiee when buying new bulbs for the car...

Will these fit our Galants..? (It got dark and I didn't have time to check my side lights for fitting...

Also, does BlueVision mean they look blue when on..? Conflicting reprorts include they shine like a white light. The back of the pack says they are the same colour tempreture as a 3400k

Thank you in advance.

Davezj
17-01-2008, 12:17 AM
i have done the whole bulb change thing, and all the rear light went one by one with in 5 mins. replaced the first that blew switch light on to check and the next bulb blew. wad to by another one. and so on untill i had replaced all the 4 rear light bulb. the block in the shop siade are you eating these bulb or what. but joking aside he said it was quite common thing to happen.

and yes the front lights are an a*se to do.
word of warning.
make sure the bulb is pushed all the way in to the hold and has a good contact (not a slack fit) as mine didn't and melted the holder.

g6acb
17-01-2008, 12:36 AM
HMG1K..... those freebie bulbs are wrong, we need a T4W

Paul Beazer
17-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I found this fitting the hardest to remove when taking out the headlight unit... It's a white plastic clip, clipping some wire harness to the bodywork of the engine.

Its actually quite easy when you know how. Just get a pair of narrow nosed pliers and squeeze the white plastic nipple that clip through the black moulding, the connector should then drop down with a little wiggling.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Thank you g6acb and Paul !

Great help and feedback from you both !

Nice But
17-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Would it be worth having a sticky thread in the members area with a list of all bulb types and where on the Legnum/Galant?

We have one on the RX8 forum and it's seriously useful.......

Just a thought./pan /pan

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Would it be worth having a sticky thread in the members area with a list of all bulb types and where on the Legnum/Galant?

We have one on the RX8 forum and it's seriously useful.......

Just a thought./pan /pan

Good thought !!!!

I was relying on the Philips.co.uk site for its automotive lighting options - and when I needed it most for this thread, it was down and all the sales sites that reply on it!

Can't believe whilst thumbing through my handbook that not even that tells you the type of bulb, just the wattage!

Nice But
17-01-2008, 02:27 PM
:happy: My RX one is similar....... I did find it eventually, but it's suprising how many people on the RX8OC forum still ask 'what bulb where' so we all shout look in the .............. area!

Seems to work/pan /pan /pan bash them enough times:happy:

miller
11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Ok folks so i eventually got all bulbs replaced with shiny silver vision ones. First time got through the whole grill removal and light removal okay.

Sods law, once i had it all back together i notice the offside dipped beam is pointing skywards, ie searching for UFO's and blinding peeps in front of me.

So this weekend i dismantle again and carefully reslot the bulb and holder, there is only one way it can go in. Get it all back together and its still high though not as high before.

Are there any adjusting screws that i may have missed? I can see any other way to lower the light beam?

Cheers

Mike

miller
15-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Anyone come across the Beam adjuster? Anyone? Before i start dis assembling the whole front of my car again tomorrow?

Mike

peter thomson
15-02-2008, 02:14 PM
There is a thread on here somwhere already as the same question was asked not too long ago. I think the adjusters are the metal headed nuts on the back of the lamps

peter thomson
15-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Here's the link

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28339&highlight=headlight+adjustment

miller
15-02-2008, 05:50 PM
good man peter! will give that a go in the dusk later on!! Im assuming the first three pics are relevant ot the adjustment. The last two must be for bulb replacement as i fail to see how they can be adjusted from within the rubber seal.

I shall take pics too in my quest.

Mike

pitslayer
15-02-2008, 06:49 PM
my adjusters were broke on the one galant, had to get another headlight :(.
although i think when i have a bulb go again, im definatly going up to halfords to get them to change my bulbs /lol

they can be right but snackers in halfords though, they didnt have an iso harness in, so i said ill buy a cd player and they can wire it for me. and then refused to sell me a cd player /lol

miller
15-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Finally all sorted, i realise now who ever changed the bulbs previously attempted to fit them in situ, hence they never sat right in their holder. To pass an MOT they simply adjusted all the beams to compensate the incorrect bulb seating.

Bit of a puzzle the Jap sheet indicating these from the previously given link. So with some trial and error i finally get it right.

Maybe this quick diagram may help others in the future. The view is to the rear of the lamp setup on the offside unit.

Mike

Nutter_John
15-02-2008, 11:06 PM
top notch job there mike have some rep

Beastlee
15-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Mike, aren't there are more adjusters, two do left and right adjustment and the other two are the heights for each bulb.

Here's a non JDM lamp :
uploaded/4273/1203114320.jpg

Edit: I just went and checked my JDM lamps and although it looks a little different they are all there. I would be very careful about how you adjusted them and go to the local garage and ask for a check. I was surprised how far out mine were despite me thinking they looked OK. I can't get mine looked at until Tuesday but I will be waiting for flashes from other drivers even though they look OK to me.

miller
15-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I'll double check which does which and add them to that pic. Nothing happened on mine with the other two adjusters, saying that i was watching the wall for up and down movement and may have missed and sideways action!!!!

Cheers

Mike