PDA

View Full Version : ----lets talk paint ----

rees
19-11-2007, 03:09 PM
im buying brunty's vr4 and im on about having it resprayed it from the deep blue to pyreneess black or something deeper black or "wetter loooking " - to give that just out the body shop look.

so i thought best to start a new paintwork thread to discuss all things paintwork

a few topic starters:

what colours do you reckon ?

anyone know any good / cheap shops?

any past experience/ stories?

primers? activaters ? laqours ? anyone care to explain ?:scholar:

White Lightning
19-11-2007, 03:11 PM
anyone know any good / cheap shops?

I am not sure those two things go together when you are talking about bodyshops .... do they?

In this area you looking at around £1000 for a good quality respray.

AncientOfMu
19-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Pyrenees Black is very nice :).

paint is all in the prep.

I firmly believe you get what you pay for. There are many many paint shops out there. Good ones.....im not so sure about. I know of a place near me that are very good however im thinking probable £4k ish for a full respray.

Depends on what finish you want.

You can get that 'just back from the bodyshop' look from a decent machine polish. You dont necessarily have to get it resprayed.

If you are changing colour also you need to think about things like, door shuts, boot shuts etc etc. Maybe im just very anal but I couldnt get a car resprayed unless it was a complete strip down job. And btw a carbon bonnet would look luvveryley on a Pyrenees Black VR ;)

bradc
19-11-2007, 07:34 PM
What is wrong with the stock Indigo Blue colour? Give it a good polish up and it is a beautiful colour.

Ohh and you've bought yourself a nice car, congrats

Nick Mann
19-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm sure Brunty can pass on a few details of a body shop that has given good results in the past.

The person on here who still owns a body shop is called panelman, but I haven't noticed him online for a while.

I have to agree with Brad, too. Indigo blue is a fantastic colour!

ANTHONY
19-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm sure Brunty can pass on a few details of a body shop that has given good results in the past.

The person on here who still owns a body shop is called panelman, but I haven't noticed him online for a while.

I have to agree with Brad, too. Indigo blue is a fantastic colour!or that very rare silver finish

pitslayer
20-11-2007, 01:19 AM
im a professional spray painter by trade. first things first
winning turqouise is the colour you want, none of this other common muck colours /pan, and it is the best colour evah!
secondly...£1k to paint a galant...and the rest, you get what you pay for 99% of the time, look more in the region of 2k up for a good paint job, door jams, engine bay etc etc
find a good qaulity spray shop

you will get what you pay for at the end of the day, and when your spraying your car winning turqouise, the most expensive paint job is the best to go for.

however ive noticed over the past few times now, that body shops really dont care about doing private work, so good luck finding one that isnt all about insurance work :(

VR4 MAD
20-11-2007, 05:14 AM
.................................I have to agree with Brad, too. Indigo blue is a fantastic colour!

Wrong.....wrong...........it's the best colour..........:evilgrin: :pimp2:

And in the right light looks almost black as well.............cool.

(Runs and hides in the corner...........he he)

/toycar

pitslayer
20-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Wrong.....wrong...........it's the best colour..........:evilgrin: :pimp2:

And in the right light looks almost black as well.............cool.

(Runs and hides in the corner...........he he)

/toycar
:inquisiti :inquisiti :inquisiti clearly wrong/pan /pan /pan /pan

rees
20-11-2007, 06:52 PM
And btw a carbon bonnet would look luvveryley on a Pyrenees Black VR ;)

hahha dont worry don i havent forgotten you:iloveyou:

WildCards
20-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Rees, why don't you choose a colour, or even a shade of black not used by Mitsubishi? It's alot of money to spend, you may aswell go for something truly unique.

rees
20-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Rees, why don't you choose a colour, or even a shade of black not used by Mitsubishi? It's alot of money to spend, you may aswell go for something truly unique.

yeah im up for ideas , i want an almost wet looking finish but money is the main problem here im budgeted to about a grand

ancient ofmu was saying how he'd want it fully doing - ie. all the little fiddly bits but i'd prefer to leav the under still blue so that i can show ppl , but each to there own

like i say tho im open to offers

rees

Turbo_Steve
20-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Dark Metallic Burnt Orange :D
Whilst going to the trouble of painting, get the arches done and the doors delocked. Also get lights put under the handles (don't have wire 'em up, but it's done then).

And I'd want the whole thing stripped back to the chassis, painted black and just the outside painted orange. Preferably with a white coach line.

Will only work on the saloon, really, though.

pitslayer
20-11-2007, 08:48 PM
dont wash your car for several weeks, then run hose pipe around thebody, plumbed up to a constant circulating pump....water comes out of the hose pipe wrapped around car, collects at bottom of the car, then is pumped back around......instant, constant wet look ;)

Kieran
20-11-2007, 09:24 PM
dont wash your car for several weeks.....

Go and stand in the corner and think about what you've just said./pan /pan

pitslayer
21-11-2007, 01:00 AM
NO!......kieran do you want to know a secret........

i havnt washed my car for over a month, its been parked under a tree, covered in leaves, the wipers are weighed down it has that many leaves, and its covered in leaf stains.......and i hadnt washed it for about 2 months before parking it there either, so its uber dirty........and its got concrete across the bonnet/Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr
hehehehehehe