PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Spark?

Fully
20-11-2007, 10:05 AM
If I put a high voltage ignition spark system into my g would I get an extra 20hp out of my motor?

I am talking about a ignition spark system out of a race car.

Nick Mann
20-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't have thought so, but I am no expert on this.

To my mind, you need a reliable strong spark. This is achievable with a standard system. Making sure it is in good order will help the power. Maybe making it better will improve the power, but I would be suprised if there was any significant difference.

Maybe if you were running high boost the spark would need to be stronger?

Nick VR4
20-11-2007, 11:18 AM
If you did it would be very little you might get a better throttle response but reading a few bits about this a while ago can cause problems cooking sparkplugs and leads

pitslayer
20-11-2007, 12:52 PM
and spark plugs are expensive lol

Turbo_Steve
20-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Only really of benefit when the boost starts to reduce / snuff the spark, and combined with proper plugs.

It WILL shorten plug life, but you're likely to get better combustion across temperature range which is good for emissions. You may see a couple of extra bhp, (I've seen a difference on previous cars of 6bhp) but chances are this is due to the age of the existing system rather than any specific benefit.

Certainly cars that develop ignition problems with higher boost often show amazing improvements in output and driveability simply by replacing the standard coil packs and plugs etc, but again this is as a result of fixing an existing problem rather than uprating anything,

orionn2o
21-11-2007, 09:41 AM
where did you get the figure of 20hp anyway??

Fully
23-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Cause that's what we get out of our race car.
6lt chev motor.

I would be be converting all the leads and plugs over to a high current.
Just an idea I might have a play around with this this weekend.