PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dash Indicator

orionn2o
20-11-2007, 11:53 AM
As I accelerate hard, my handbrake light comes on which is strange. The brakes still work fine and theres plenty of fluid.

Anyone else experienced this??

And yes the handbrake is off properly!

Kieran
20-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Common one - your brake fluid level is low. You're unlikely to have a leak, it'll be more likely that your front pads are getting ready for a swap.:scholar:

orionn2o
20-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Well we checked the level and it was fine. And the pads didnt look particularly bad.

I do however have new ones to put on when my new disks arrive. Perhaps i'll worry about it if the problem remains after that!

Nick Mann
20-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I have always got rid of that issue by topping the fluid level, or changing the front pads.

If you fill the fluid to the max when the front pads are new, then when they come round for changing you will be getting a flicker on the brake light on hard acceleration. A good reminder!

Muppsy
23-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Orion,

I have this same issue, and I had the same issue with the handbrake 'clunk' that you posted in the other thread.

This has to be related.

My fluid was a little low, so I have topped that up. I'm about to put her wheels back on and take her for a rip.

Did you resolve either or both of these issues?

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Yep, Nick is bang on. I filled my fluid to the MAX last year when I replaced the front and rear pads at the same time. The light started to come under acceleration a month or so ago. I investigated and found that the front pads are coming close to needing replacement.

I would fit your new pads and then see where the level is, as you said above.

orionn2o
23-02-2008, 12:40 PM
To follow up to this oldish thread.

Yes i fitted new pads and it went away. They didnt look super low but I put new disks on so fitted the pads, the light doesnt come on now. So Nick was right.

Throbbe
23-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Ah, I was about to ask the same question. Front pads probably do need a change, been on for a while now. Cheers for the info.