PDA

View Full Version : cobra alarm

calum
28-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Anybody have one of these fitted to their galant or legnum? My dad's V6-24V has one and it's playing up.

Neither key fob is doing anything.

The hazards keep flashing or, if he touches the immobiliser key to the immobiliser but, it switches to yelping loudly every few seconds.

Anybody got any idea how to reset the alarm on these?

Thanks,

Calum

Brind
28-01-2004, 09:35 PM
I have a Cobra alarm but it has a very vague trouble shooter.

Does he have the little instruction booklet?

The battery in the radio key may be low giving confused signals.
With the ignition OFF, does the touch key alarm and disarm the alarm? as that should always work unless of another fault.

If you use the touch key while the ignition is ON it wipes the radio key information and you need to reconfigure it, did he do this?

To teach the system about the radio key:
1, With the system disarmed, switch ON the ignition.
2, use the touch key and the dashbord light will flash.
3, Press both buttons on the radio key together until 'radio key' LED stops flashing (about 10 seconds).
4, Release the buttons and the LED on the radio key will come on.
5, Press one radio button, the radio key LED blinks and the dashboard LED goes OUT for 1 second.

To put the alarm into valet mode:
1, DISABLE the alarm and then switch ON the ignition.
2, Press button 'A' on the radio key. Dashboard light should flash and the siren will buzz.

You can remove the cars battery now and the alarm won't do anything.
To turn on alarm again just use the radio key as normal.

calum
28-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks - that's great - I'll get him to try that.

He doesn't have any booklets (alarm was fitted by previous owner).

Thanks again

Calum

enigma
29-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Mo fits alarms....try contacting him (zedy1)

Nick Mann
29-01-2004, 02:34 PM
My V6-24 had a cobra alarm that was dealer fitted. It was badged something like the Mitsubishi 'optima' system. My UK VR-4 also has a dealer fitted cobra alarm, but a completely different spec one. Best bet could be to go to a dealer and see if they have a car with instruction book, or a mechanic who knows.

calum
29-01-2004, 07:15 PM
I'll talk to him tonight and see how he got on with it.

Might give that a try, Nick, although he says the detaile in his mitsubishi handbook don't match the operation of the alarm. It has the cobra type 'mickey mouse ears' radio keys with two buttons (oen large, one small).

Calum

calum
29-01-2004, 07:58 PM
If you use the touch key while the ignition is ON it wipes the radio key information and you need to reconfigure it, did he do this?

To teach the system about the radio key:
1, With the system disarmed, switch ON the ignition.
2, use the touch key and the dashbord light will flash.
3, Press both buttons on the radio key together until 'radio key' LED stops flashing (about 10 seconds).
4, Release the buttons and the LED on the radio key will come on.
5, Press one radio button, the radio key LED blinks and the dashboard LED goes OUT for 1 second.

My Dad has just 'phoned to say this worked a treat! He is well chuffed.

He found that his main car battery was low on electrolyte. Looks like low voltage from the battery has caused the initial problem. In desperation to get it to turn off he's used the torch key.

This had disabled the radio keys, and he didn't knwo how to get them back on.

I sent him your instructions and he followed them to the letter for both keys and it now works perfectly!

Thanks again! Pint or two for this, I reckon, if I can ever be bothered driving down to a meet as he had it booked in for a new alarm on Saturday (£200)!!!

Thanks again (from me and my Dad).

Calum

Nick Mann
29-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Bah! Just got home, took some pictures, resized to post - and I'm beaten to it!

The only thing to add is there is a technical helpline on the back of my manual - 01923 479207. I would imagine that this is the same for all variations.

calum
29-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks for your efforts too, Nick. Glad it never got to helpline stage!

Calum

Brind
29-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Nice one! glad I could help. :)

The alarm is voltage sensitive as a backup to vibration etc so possibly that's what caused the problem.
You always want to shut the alarm off quickly when it triggers so in the confusion it's so easy to do something wrong.

johny105
23-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry to hijack this long dead thread but... what does this dash light look like? i've just tried above instructions on the gallant i've just picked up and i see no dash light ?
the fob flashes as you say but nothing else?

cheers johny