PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp adjustment height

Jerry Shaw
25-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi again folks. I have had a search and cant seem to find any solution to this so here we go with the question.

On my Galant, the headlamp aim seems really really low. Even on the highest setting on the dial its pathetic.

Can anyone tell me if the galant 2.0 GLS has any sensors around the car that would affect the adjustment?

I have done a quick test to see if I could suss anything but........

I have started off on level ground, in the lowest dial position.
Then moving it one position at a time, confirmed that the level changed on both lights.

Now heres the funny thing - when I get to the topmost position on the dial, the lamps move up and stop as they should BUT then lower again to the next position down!!!!

I just wondered if there was any sensors on the suspension that would attempt to keep the levels in proportion to the cars height / pitch i.e. loaded / unloaded etc....

Thanks folks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the headlamps do seem to stay in the topmost position at the moment, but they are still too low. Driving at night is really hard work, lol

Nutter_John
25-11-2007, 02:49 PM
There is an article in the member section about this :P (no there isn't )

take your bulbs out and check they are seated properly

Jerry Shaw
25-11-2007, 05:46 PM
There is an article in the member section about this :P (no there isn't )

/lol I knew that was coming. /lol

I have already tried checking the bulbs. It seems to rule out motors etc as they are both level, just not high enough.

I wondered if they were like the Omega's that have a linkage on the suspension. It keeps the HID lamps at a certain level so that you dont burn other peoples retina's. /lol

As far as the members section goes, I am going to join this next week. /Banana

(I wasnt slating it by the way) /lol

Kieran
25-11-2007, 07:35 PM
There's no reference to the loading of the car when adjusting the beams via the switch - it's just a simple 3 position switch, nothing more than that.

The headlamp leveling units can be changed - and there are separate manual adjustment screws on the back of the lamp units (well, bolts actually).

Jerry Shaw
25-11-2007, 09:24 PM
There's no reference to the loading of the car when adjusting the beams via the switch - it's just a simple 3 position switch, nothing more than that.

The headlamp leveling units can be changed - and there are separate manual adjustment screws on the back of the lamp units (well, bolts actually).

Thanks for that. I take it that its the ones about 6mm in size?

I have to admit, the suspension in the front is really soft. Maybe the springs could do with being replaced

Kieran
25-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, looking at the pictures in the service manual it's those tiny bolts.