PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed, drive shaft

Roberto
26-11-2007, 05:48 PM
All,

I am in desperate need of a front passenger drive shaft.

It has broken down at the gearbox side and the car is now undriveable till its replaced.

The people here are unable to rebuild it and 850euro plus labour plus 3 weeks off the road is not really an option.

Help please...../help

bernmc
26-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Try Mo (zedy1).

Mitsi maindealer will get you a new one for 4-500 british pounds.

richy rich
26-11-2007, 06:51 PM
All,

I am in desperate need of a front passenger drive shaft.

It has broken down at the gearbox side and the car is now undriveable till its replaced.

The people here are unable to rebuild it and 850euro plus labour plus 3 weeks off the road is not really an option.

Help please...../help
Ive got a drive shaft somewhere ill check if its nearside or offside.

Roberto
26-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks Rich,

Derek has offered me his, but unfortunately its also fubared/pan .

This seems to be another weak point, I think Kieran for one has had the same fault, along with D. So is it going to be better just to pay up and fit a new one.

Also does anyone know if any Mitsu Stealers in the UK would have one in stock.
Rather than me waiting for one from Japan?

As always any help gratefully recieved...:iloveyou:

bradc
26-11-2007, 07:43 PM
what about Mo, have you spoken to him?

Roberto
26-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I have pm'd him, but has anyone got a number I could contact him on?

Nutter_John
26-11-2007, 08:00 PM
yep (twas here but removed )

Roberto
26-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks John,

I'll give him a ring....

Roberto
26-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks John,

I was just talking to Mo, so he will have a look tomorrow, here's hoping for a good one.

But the question is still there, is it worth fitting a used one?

I don't have much of a problem with it, but will get serious ear ache if it goes wrong, from /Handbag .

eonymc
27-11-2007, 12:04 AM
there you are was trying to get your attention before did you have any luck with irish vr4 family i got identical car to yours which i might brake yet not inside 3 weeks do you dont know where to get oil or work in ireland sory for interputing your thread

KHK
27-11-2007, 06:05 AM
what's wrong with the your drive shaft?
3 weeks' repair time seems to be unreasonable for a professional shop to do such a job

Roberto
27-11-2007, 01:27 PM
It's not 3 weeks to do the job, its upto 3 weeks to get the shaft from Japan./Grrr
The splin on the gearbox side is knackered and locking up.
The people who rebuild them here have tried the VR4 before but cannot get the splin parts as they are different to the Evo.

Eoin, for oil get onto Don (Amsoil), he is member on here.
And extremely helpfully.

Have you tried Mo (Zedy1) for the gearbox.
/Hijack Not a worry

For work, as I have stated before, I get Micheal Tynans at Newlands Cross to do the more serious jobs, but they have little experience of VR4's.

Just of Galants and 4x4 Mitsu's.

Nick Mann
27-11-2007, 02:50 PM
The splin on the gearbox side is knackered and locking up.
The people who rebuild them here have tried the VR4 before but cannot get the splin parts as they are different to the Evo.

That's a new one? It's normally the joints that go, AFAIK.

Also, the gearbox input shaft, output shaft, propshaft and transfer box all have the same splines as the Evo. Are they sure the drive shaft doesn't? I can believe that they are different lengths/have different joints, but really different splines?

Roberto
27-11-2007, 04:20 PM
To be honest I could be wrong Nick.

But that is what I thought I was told, and thought I read Kieran had the same problem before.

amsoil
28-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Just as a matter of interest has anyone ever contacted GKN. They actually make drive shafts and for a lot less than the prices being mentioned.
Just my 2 P worth.

Kieran
28-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Gkn?

amsoil
28-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes makers of the second best driveshafts in the world, the best are from schmitelhelm in germany but at ten times the GKN price. They also do CV joints for anything from FFords to 962 mosler etc etc. Oh and scubby world cup rally cars etc. Also very nice people to talk to.
GKN Motorsport tel 0121 313 1661 they are at unit 5 kingsbury business pk , in sutton coalfield birmingham, B76 9DL

Roberto
28-11-2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.gknservice.com/gkn-ids/resources/repairs/Fly_SP_ExpressReman_com.pdf

That would be these then.

Sounds like the right type of service.

At the moment Mo has a shaft en-route, hopefully.

It should get me going again, but if anyone wants the old one as a trial refurb they can have it, for the price of postage, which is fairly expensive from here.

But I know a man with a another faulty one.......DEREK.
Might be worth someones, investigative time....