PDA

View Full Version : oil coolers as standard on none VR4?

Davezj
28-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Just been looking at the galant manual and it seem the 6a13 engine is fitted with a standard oil cooler attached just before the oil filter.

why would a VR4 not have on of these?

Nick Mann
28-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Are you sure it was standard equipment? Maybe one of the V6 owners can let us know if they have one.

Wouter
28-11-2007, 03:37 PM
It could be a "standard" item for Europe only, and JDM v6 may also not have this.

Kieran
28-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Hmmm - Don't remember seeing an oil cooler (either an oil rad or a heat exchanger block) on either of my UK Galants.

Wouter's on the right track - Our golf has an oil cooler. Not because it needs one, but it was designed by the germans and they realised that long motorway/Autobahn trips could get the oil a bit to hot - Given what roads are like in Japan, I guess they decided that heat sinking via the sump would be fine.

Nick Mann
28-11-2007, 05:38 PM
If you look at the engine lubrication manual in the library, you will see what Dave is on about. It is not a big impressive cooler, just a water-jacketed extension to the oil filter housing. It doesn't look like a permanent design to me, which suggests that it is not a permanent feature.

Davezj
28-11-2007, 06:18 PM
that the one,
i would have assumed the vr4 engine would have benefited from this too.

Kieran
28-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Ah, got it. Yeah, that's like the one the golf has - pretty simple arrangement I guess. My I don't remember ever seeing that arrangement on my V6.

jpnvr4
30-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I got my vr4 from jpn (hence the name) and when I did my flush not 2 long back I don't remember seein anything like that....hmmmmmm ... is it possilbe it was just a european design??

Paul Beazer
30-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Nope my V6 hasnt got one.

The Vee
01-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Yep had one on mine. Just wonder though if it is more like an oil warmer for when cold

Davezj
04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
could be!

would the oil get to temp quicker than the water ,or vice versa?

an itenesting thought!

The Vee
04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Would expect the water temp to rise quicker.

bradc
04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I would have thought the oil actually. I guess we'll have to find someone with both gauges :)

Turbo_Steve
04-12-2007, 09:49 PM
oil should become "warm" (i.e. operating temp) very quickly, at which point it will start transferring heat to the water jacket, and will remain "warm" until the water is up to operating temperature, at which point the oil should start to become "hot".

This is fine unless the temperature continues to increase, usually past the point of the water jackets efficiency, when the oil will become "too hot".

For your average road car, the water jacket is a better way of cooling the oil as it "sinks" heat into a body of mass, keeping things at an even temperature. An oil cooler (radiator type) tends to cause the oil temperature to fluctuate more, though this isn't neccesarily a bad thing for the engine, temperature cycling wears oil out faster (though not by much). Deep temperature cycling will knacker it in no time.

This is a lot less relevant with todays oils than it was 30 years ago, though ( unless you're building a sibereian racing car!)

Nick Mann
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
From a less technical view point, the only cars I have had with both temp gauges have always shown the water at temp before the oil.

I would consider increasing the radiators ability to cool if I added extra oil cooling to the water system. This is simply because I have seen elevated water temperatures after lengthy spirited drives. (Especially Castle Combe!)

bradc
05-12-2007, 07:54 AM
thats because you have an auto :) The auto pumps a LOT of heat into the radiator.

Nick Mann
05-12-2007, 10:46 AM
thats because you have an auto :) The auto pumps a LOT of heat into the radiator.
Mine doesn't? I have a manual VR4 radiator in mine.... :P ;)

Turbo_Steve
05-12-2007, 02:29 PM
What's keeping your gearbox cool (and, on a cold day, warm) then?

bradc
05-12-2007, 07:05 PM
a big trannie cooler (she sits in front of the radiator and blows on it)

Oblivion
05-03-2008, 12:05 AM
a big trannie cooler (she sits in front of the radiator and blows on it)

I was looking at this (I think) the other day. lol I thought it looked waaay too big to be an oil cooler! Now I know what it is :D So has anyone fitted one of these....

https://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm/TRUST-GReddy-GREX-Oil-Cooler-Kit-Legnum-EC5W-6A13-15192