PDA

View Full Version : not a VR4 owner

Scanny
30-11-2007, 06:00 PM
i used to be an EVO fan and wanted an EVO6 last year but it fell through and among other things, the car i currently have has won me over. its only the standard 2L GLS but what a stunning car. nothing has gone wrong with it other than wear and tear (2 tyres, a few bulbs and a clutch) which considering i have owned it for 2 1/2 years, says a lot for it.
being a bit of a petrolhead, im after something faster. i went off EVOs and never liked scoobies. the GTO took my fancy but they are getting too old. the VR4 fits the bill perfectly. no one knows what they are so they have exclusivity and are very quick off the mark according to my research. thats still out of my price range so i will be going for a 2.5V6 next. i hoped to have it by now but things keep cropping up. aint life great/Grrr

Nick Mann
30-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Hello and welcome! Many VR4 owners started with less powerful versions of the car. The V6 galant can suprise a few other cars out there!

Good luck in your hunt.

Scanny
30-11-2007, 06:19 PM
i have been wondering about the difference in performance. i think the V6 comes standard with 161 BHP as apposed to 134 on the 2L? getting 0 - 60 figures has so far beaten me
how reliable are the other models? i probably got lucky with my car. got it cheap thanks to a typo in adtrader and it just keeps going and going. absolutely phenomenal reliability. i wont be doing any serious mods to it. no point for my motoring habits

Paul Beazer
30-11-2007, 09:46 PM
If you're after a V6, just make sure its been properly serviced and you should be fine.
0-60 is about 8 secs give or take.

bradc
30-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I have a manual V6 Jap spec car with 4wd which you guys don't really have over there - there are a few about though.

I absolutely love it and imho it is a better option than a standard VR-4 anyway. They sound so nice, use normal 91 octane petrol and get above 30mpg without actually trying to drive slow.

If you get a UK spec 2wd car then you will weigh about 200kg less than my car as well and the performance will be even better.

Just don't get an auto. You only have 4 very widely spaced gears and the auto consumes quite a bit of power. Plus they die all the time because mitsi auto's are kind of crap!

AncientOfMu
01-12-2007, 12:28 AM
welcome?

whats your budget i have a VERY tidy Vr for sale at 3750ono :iloveyou:

seriously welcome to the friendliest club in the world :D

Scanny
01-12-2007, 04:50 PM
my budget right now is recovering from a few bad months so its on a back burner for the time being. sounds like a reasonable price though.

Brad, i can safely say that there is absolutely NO chance of me paying money for an auto. most of the trucks i drive are auto and i really dont get on well with them. when im driving i want full control of the vehicle and automatics deprive you of some of that. for example, a skid situation. i was trained how to get out of a skid in a manual but i wouldnt know how to correct an auto:speechles

bradc
01-12-2007, 06:41 PM
The 5 speed tiptronic boxes in the VR-4's aren't bad at all, you can still run through the gears just like a manual and the car will bounce off the limiter in each gear and won't change up by itself.

But imho the 4 speed auto in the non-VR-4's is simply missing a gear which deprives them of acceleration as well as fun :)

Rambaud
01-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I am not sure it's worth the gamble/hassle of going for a V6 and then a VR-4 - especially since you seem to have a reliable 2L GLS.

I was going to change my GDI for a VR-4 after 6 months or so, but have not done so yet (after 10 months). I wanted an Auto, and have been very pleased with it - it should be even better (hopefully) when the ATF is changed for Amsoil. :)

Kieran
01-12-2007, 07:49 PM
I am not sure it's worth the gamble/hassle of going for a V6 and then a VR-4 - especially since you seem to have a reliable 2L GLS.

I agree with this. I went down this route and whilst my V6 was a great car (and still is!) I kinda wish I'd stuck with the GLS.

Scanny
02-12-2007, 03:37 PM
the VR4 is still a couple of years away. i dont use credit of any kind so i would be saving and paying cash like i have done with my last few cars. im not in too much of a hurry for a VR4 anyway but the V6 is still very appealing

ANTHONY
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree with this. I went down this route and whilst my V6 was a great car (and still is!) I kinda wish I'd stuck with the GLS. but did you have the same grin on your face