PDA

View Full Version : Owc On Trans ???

serenity88
01-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Some trans have owc stamped on them and others don't, I'm under the understanding that this is means 'one way clutch'

Doe's anyone know if it is possible to fit a non 'owc' trans to a vr4 that was running a oneway clutch previously? Will the trans ecu run the box ok or will that need to be replaced as well?

Ae there any other pitfalls???

I've just scored a reco'd trans for a steal, the wrecker told me that the only things I'd need to consider would be the sequencing numbers relating to the speedo sender and the ecu if mine is a owc, which it is. It seems that the owc box's dont have a fluid filter fitted to them.

bradc
01-12-2007, 02:53 AM
wow thats some interesting info, never heard of that at all before.

The only bit of info that I can offer is that it seems that later model cars didn't have the trans filter, and that my facelift gearbox out of my 1998 VR-4 without a filter went straight into my 1997 prefacelift VR-4 and worked fine.

serenity88
01-12-2007, 03:05 AM
Yea I feel that one way clutching shouldn't make to much of a dif. Because after all it's only a clutching system. The one way clutching must be a better design hence the doing away with the filter! From what I've read it seems to have improved the shifting as well.

I guess if it works vice a versa then it should be ok.

How did you find the new trans compared to the old one Brad? was there any difference in the shifting and preformance?

bradc
01-12-2007, 03:35 AM
dunno, the gearbox that was in the 1997 car was dead when I got it

serenity88
24-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Have fitted my 97 reco'd trans into my 00. Has developed some gnarly prob's with the auto changing though. The box works fine in tip mode, runs up and down through the gears with out missing a beat. It gets all funky when I stick it into drive! Wont shift from first to second, just slips out into nuetral.

If I start out in tip and shift up to second manualy then pop it into drive it goes up and down no worries, have to put it into tip when I come to a complete stop again. This is what I think the wrecker was talking about when he said that the sequencing may be a problem.

My original trans has w5a51ezb the 97 is w5a51e6a the difference being in the last two digits. Not sure exactly what it means but for some reason it just wont work!

Going to swap out the trans ecu's and see what comes of that. Anyone had a similar problem?

bradc
25-12-2007, 05:40 AM
strange, bump for the funny issue though!

Nick Mann
25-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Nope? I have a facelift VR4 with a prefacelift gearbox in it. I have no problems with it changing the way it should. When you say it goes into Neutral, does the neutral light come on the dash? If you leave it to it's own devices for 10 seconds does it eventually find 2nd?

serenity88
26-12-2007, 04:59 AM
No it just goes out into neutral no light no warnings , nuzza! I think I've located the problem though, It would appear that we bumped one of the little chiped magnetic sender/sensor type thingy's on the box.

It looks as if it senses the gear speed and dictates the change/clutching what not???

The two box's have slighty different sensors on them with different part numbers. I'm 99.9% sure thats the problem cause when I swap them over the trans does different thing's one will get it to change but then goes into limp mode, the other just slips into neutral and second wont engage.

Anyone got a stuffed pre facelift trans sitting around??

mitchy
05-05-2008, 07:53 AM
just noticed whilst ripping my g/box out for the second time, that mine says OWC on the top, and has a filter...

it's in a 1998 super vr-4....