PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Galant V6 01'

Chunk
03-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Bout 2 months ago i bought a V6 01' Galant, had some problems with it so far , had to change both rear shocks, and replace the radiator, also got a whining from the gearbox so gotta get new one as i have been told this one is on its way out, but i love it so much real nice car and looks the so mean, anyone else got a Galant V6 01' here?

Nick Mann
03-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Plenty of V6 owners here. And some don't have turbos! :P

Also plenty of us started in V6 territory before we upgraded to real petrol eaters!

What geabox do you have, and what kind of whining? It could be imminently terminal, but it could also be nothing to worry about.

The Vee
03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Think Nick's covered it. Lovely car and welcome to CVR4

pitslayer
04-12-2007, 01:53 AM
welcome, V6s are probably the best to go for, watch out for those twin turbo melarky ones /pan
out of interest
is your car manual or auto?
i might end up with a spare manual box for a V6 :)

MPBVr4
04-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi and welcome to the club.
My previous car, a V6-24, developed a horrible whine at about 85K. Had the box
serviced with a new bearing and seals for £360. A new box was £1.5 - £2 K.:speechles

The Vee
04-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Fair comment.
This thread was Hijacked somewhat, so have cleaned it up accordingly

Ally_V6
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Me, I have a 01 V6 sport

Oh and Welcome /Wyhy

Paul Beazer
04-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I have a '00 V6 Sport, if its a manual gearbox, then it sounds like one of the main output/input bearings is on its was out, mine started making noises about 85k also and it got steadily worse. A decent gearbox company should be able to put in new bearings for 3-400 quid.

pitslayer
04-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I have a '00 V6 Sport, if its a manual gearbox, then it sounds like one of the main output/input bearings is on its was out, mine started making noises about 85k also and it got steadily worse. A decent gearbox company should be able to put in new bearings for 3-400 quid.
what he said, just make sure you do find a decent gearbox company, ive been shafted for 700 quid and now have a bust gearbox in my car, because of a "reputable" gearbox company, and i can tell you that, if you get shafted on it, it will cost you lots, and we dont want to see that.
firstly- if your gearbox goes wrong after its rebuilt take it back, take no crap
off them, get them to fix it, or replace the box.

secondly-tracking down a gearbox for one of these is tricky, took me a week or so, going through ebay, breakers yards,mo (or zedy1 as he is your no1 port of call for spares) trying to find a gearbox.

thirdly-make sure you know what gearbox is in your car, because there is 2 types of gearbox, and make sure the one you confirm on the phone, with the place your getting the gearbox from, is the one you have been sent.

fourthly(?)-they arent cheap

fifthly(?)- dont go to mitsi for a new box, i got an estimate, at just the box and labour for £3183

so get the gearbox done asap, before its to late and you have to go down the route i am with putting a new box in.
probably put some amsoil in your box aswell after, and next oil and filter change use amsoil only, highly recomended on here, used it my self. everything runs so much smoother with amsoil, and when you get your full membership on here, for the meager sum of 20 english pounds, you get a handsome discount on amsoil products. and access to a wealth of knowledge in the members area,

Paul Beazer
04-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I still dont get that quote you got from the dealer.
Even taking into account you wernt using the old one as a service exchange (about £500) I cant see where the other £1000 comes from. Oh wait, was yours an auto?? If so that could be about right.
For a brand new manual box (old one for service exchange) was £1400 give or take.

pitslayer
05-12-2007, 02:19 AM
manual box was £2600 of the shelf, brand spanking new, with new clutch, plus fitting, plus vat

ill dig the qoute out, ive got it somewhere

Paul Beazer
05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Mate they're shafting you! Seriously i paid a whole lot less than that, also including a clutch, let me have a root about upstairs....

Paul Beazer
05-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Here you go! 10/1/05

Laboiur 4.5hrs £290.81
Clutch plate £120.56
Gear oil £12.08
Gearbox £1096.60

TOTAL £1520.05incl vat

Thats a brand new gearbow + clutch.

Love to know where they conjured the other £1100 from!

pitslayer
06-12-2007, 01:47 AM
wasnt doing part ex on old box

Chunk
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi guys sorry not been on for ages, thanks for all the info, funny enough my G is just coming up to 85k still going but found a place to get the bearings done hopefully gotta call them soon, p.s any 1 ever experienced a twitch from the rear end when going over potholes etc (although i try to avoid killing my 18s" lol) just seems very wierd? and obviously when we is using that right foot a little harder to get some speed up its a little disturbing sometimes lol. /rally

Chunk
02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Have you got a gearbox for the V6 Pitslayer? :-)

psbarham
02-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi guys sorry not been on for ages, thanks for all the info, funny enough my G is just coming up to 85k still going but found a place to get the bearings done hopefully gotta call them soon, p.s any 1 ever experienced a twitch from the rear end when going over potholes etc (although i try to avoid killing my 18s" lol) just seems very wierd? and obviously when we is using that right foot a little harder to get some speed up its a little disturbing sometimes lol. /rally
twitching about? get the tracking checked, mine never moves even when the tyre pressures are all over the place /pan aah just noticed your on 18's, they might be the cause

pitslayer
03-01-2008, 02:09 PM
no it turned out to be the wrong one, its been picked up and supposdly replaced, but i havnt seen the new one yet, supposed to be here by now, was sent out way before christmas. getting a tiny bit hacked off with this jap auto parts place, ive lost 2 months tax because of them/Grrr /Grrr

twitching at the rear. the only time i have had the arse end out on my galant was me being very silly and rushing and hit black ice and did a full 360 down a country road....then carried on as if nothing had happend, must of looked very cool, i did stain my trousers and seat though /lol other than that it stays firmly planted even at standard hieght on standard springs with naff tyres could be the 18s

Paul Beazer
03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Havent had much experience for the rear stepping out. Only timei can recall is when i went over a pit of a bad road repair on a bend, felt the rear twitch a bit :speechles but it sayed put.