PDA

View Full Version : VR-4 is all garaged up feeling sorry for itself at the moment ...

White Lightning
04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Had an attempt at replacing my damaged front suspension upper arm ball joint dust cover on Saturday and it didn't go well ...

/Grrr

I ended up knackering not 1 ... not 2 ... but 3 new dust covers in the process of trying to fit them ... it is one major PITA job ...

Unfortunately, whilst in the process of trying to fit said dust covers I caught the thread on the ball joint with the knockometer (read hammer) or the socket I was using as a driving tool and now the nut will not go on again ...

:speechles

So, said VR-4 is currently parked up in the garage in an unroadworthy state waiting for me to pluck up enough enthusiasm to have another go ...

I was going to post about it on Saturday evening but I was that "/Grrr " that I decided I couldn't be bothered! Spending most of the day in the cold and then getting soaked just to end up with a car that you can't use again is no fun ...

/moan over

bernmc
04-12-2007, 08:06 PM
:(

Cars eh. Who'd have 'em.

Htt it harder - works for me :). baaaa

Nick Mann
04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Bummer.

Hope you have more luck on attempt number 2.

White Lightning
04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, I've invested a bit of time tonight sorting out the garage and repositioning the car so that I can have another go in situ without having to worry about the weather ... just need to get that upper arm off again now ...

The Vee
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
These things happen mate. You did the right thing, walk away and try again later. Just spent the afternoon recording a vinyl double album. Used Nero for a change, cleaned, equalised, etc etc takes hours when you're a fussy bugger like me. Anyway, record is now back on the turntable.....................that damn unstable Nero piece of cr*p....................just froze and lost the lot. So rather than hit it walk away do summit else and now trying again!!

ianturbo
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
the easiest jobs always go tits up ,walk away then next time they usually go on a piece of cake !! (if it don't then don't quote me !! )/pan

good luck
ian

Spirit
05-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Stop moaning and get on with it /lol

Or if in doubt.....pay some other bugger to do it !

Subaru ETA
05-12-2007, 06:50 AM
well, if it makes you feel any better, i did rocker cover gaskets and a waterpum on a mazda tribute v6 the other day (dont know if you guys get them over there?).

i had it all finished- 4 hour job- and was putting the engine cover back on and i dropped one of the 8mm nuts that holds it on! had a good look and couldnt find it, so i thougt "no big deal, ill just put a nut on out of my tool box..."

well the nut was found 3 days later.... by the low speed fan!!!! it picked it up and jammed it againts the motor, burnig it out!

worse thing is, YOU CANT BUY THE MOTOR! work had to fork out for both fan assemblys..... $600 later.....

White Lightning
05-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Oh dear ... that sounds like a bit of a bummer ... at least it didn't come out of your pocket ... :scholar:

Not heard of a Mazda Tribute - will have to Google for that ...

White Lightning
05-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Stop moaning and get on with it /lol

Thank you for your kind words ... /pan

orionn2o
05-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Sounds tough mate! I've been there before... you just gotta get back under and start with a fresh head!

bernmc
05-12-2007, 03:42 PM
... you just gotta get back under and start with a fresh head!

No need to lower the tone eh :p

Spirit
05-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Thank you for your kind words ... /pan

Always a sympathetic response as you know :happy:

White Lightning
06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, another hour or so in the garage last night saw the shock/spring assembly removed again along with the upper arm which I now have to hand here at work. The triangular file is coming out at lunchtime to see if I can repair the thread but after having a closer look I fear it may be beyond repair and a new upper arm may be required ...

White Lightning
07-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Progress update ...

Had the upper arm in the lab at work yesterday and spent just over an hour carefully fettling the thread and I have now got the nut winding on and off again ok. Did a test refit of the upper arm on the car last night and the fix looks good ... so now I need to get hold of another dust cover and try again ...

peter thomson
07-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Good job Wayne

White Lightning
10-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Anyone know of an online source for cheap sockets?

I need a 1 1/2" AF socket ... but I don't want to spend too much as I am going to be smacking it with a hammer! Preferably 1/2" drive too so that I can use it for other things after.

Had a look around but most places (Machine Mart, Screwfix etc) just sell sets.

Nutter_John
10-12-2007, 02:09 PM
try halfrauds as they sell sockets singluarly

peter thomson
10-12-2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/1-1-2-Square-Drive-Elora-Bi-Hex-Socket-24476-Draper-770-LA?sc=2&category=669

I've used this company in the past if you can't find anywhere else

White Lightning
10-12-2007, 02:23 PM
try halfrauds as they sell sockets singluarly

Will have to check again but I have a feeling they only go up to 1" ...

White Lightning
10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/1-1-2-Square-Drive-Elora-Bi-Hex-Socket-24476-Draper-770-LA?sc=2&category=669

I've used this company in the past if you can't find anywhere else

Looks like plan B if Halfords can't help then :thumbsup:

Cheers Peter