PDA

View Full Version : Strange TD04?

Nick Mann
05-12-2007, 05:31 PM
On the plus side, it looks like it would bolt onto our manifolds with very little fuss. (I haven't actually held one, so I can't say that with absolute certainty!)

On the down side, I don't see how you bolt the down-pipe on and I don't see enough connections for oil and water cooling.

Assuming it is a diseasel turbo, what difference does that make to the internals and the flows? Could the exhaust housing be used anyway to allow the chance of an easy hook up?

What do you lot think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-L200-TD04-1-Turbo-Turbocharger-4DR6T-TD04-7B_W0QQitemZ120125715864QQihZ002QQcategoryZ72205QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

For future info, when the ebay link stops working:

Mitsubishi L200, 4DR6T.
ME003057,
49177-02100
TD04 - 1

Kieran
05-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, the advert says it's an oil cooled bearing only. It also doesn't mention the spec of the compressor, other than saying it's a TD04-1.

And yeah,how do you bolt up the downpipes?:inquisiti

Kieran
05-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Other ramdom thought - what are EGTs like on Diesel engines? If they're lower than petrols, would that cause a problem on the exhaust side of the turbo?

Nick Mann
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
After googling, EGT is Exhaust Gas Temp.

And after googling more, diseasels have problems with high EGTs more than petrols.

Also found, whilst googling for this answer:

Who cares about torque when the engine sounds like a skeleton having a **** in a biscuit tin?

richy rich
05-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I would say no chance in all respects.

bradc
05-12-2007, 06:58 PM
that does look scarily close to our manifolds. Good point about the downpipes though :)

I can't spot a wastegate so you'd have to run a pair of externals.

richy rich
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
that does look scarily close to our manifolds. Good point about the downpipes though :)

I can't spot a wastegate so you'd have to run a pair of externals.
Sorry but they don't look anything like our's.

Look at the forth pic on the right hand side for wastegate.

valmes
05-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey... don't limit yourself to just 7bs...

They are not that bad... you should search around for 4bs or something.. until your VR-4 can't move anymore...

Nick Mann
05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
valmes - I wish I understood what you had just said! /pan

And yeah - I think the wastegate is inside the exhaust housing. But I have never seen that configuration on the exhaust exit side, so I can't work out how it would all go together.

Rich? I realise the turbos may be pointless in itself, but the point is that the exhust inlet looks to have quite a similar size and position of bolt holes as our manifolds. I wasn't really trying to say any more than that - I don't know enough about turbos to try!

valmes
05-12-2007, 11:11 PM
valmes - I wish I understood what you had just said! /pan

And yeah - I think the wastegate is inside the exhaust housing. But I have never seen that configuration on the exhaust exit side, so I can't work out how it would all go together.

Rich? I realise the turbos may be pointless in itself, but the point is that the exhust inlet looks to have quite a similar size and position of bolt holes as our manifolds. I wasn't really trying to say any more than that - I don't know enough about turbos to try!

Ohh... alright, I will put it in Russian for you... :)

Не бери эти гребаные 7bs они слишком хороши... найди какие нибудь 4b, пока твой VR-4 вообще не откажется ехать...

А вообще я уже говорил про 335 БМВ и что катриджи от них можно вставить в "наши" (родные housings). Это все что можно сделать с родными турбинами... 380 сил.

Hope thats sounds better? :)

TAR
05-12-2007, 11:16 PM
/haz at Valmes

valmes
05-12-2007, 11:24 PM
You can point anything you want at me... I will still hang around...

:) I hope in 2008 I will drive my Legnum into UK... and meet some people over there...

Hope there is someone not too frightened of Russians... cause we can be fun... :) Common guys... I am going to drive my freaking Legnum for 5000 kms... Well, I wont be going alone... we will have like 5 cars going your way. :)

Kieran
05-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Hope there is someone not too frightened of Russians... cause we can be fun... :) Common guys... I am going to drive my freaking Legnum for 5000 kms... Well, I wont be going alone... we will have like 5 cars going your way. :)

Sounds good - Where in the UK will you be visiting?

mitchy
06-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Sorry but they don't look anything like our's.

Look at the forth pic on the right hand side for wastegate.

it doesn't have a wastegate.. they have welded shut the opening in the exhaust housing for it.

that is why you can see the pin that the actuator rod attaches to just sitting there on the right hand side of the fourth pic, and in the first pic, the 2 bolts on the left of the compressor housing is where the actuator mounts too.

the down pipe might be a 'sleeve' or something that slots inside the back of the housing, and was then held in place by a bracket... only turbo i've ever seen like that, couldnt even use a V-clamp on it.

valmes
06-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Sounds good - Where in the UK will you be visiting?

London? SantaPod :D ?

I dunno... after traveling for sooo many kms we can cross UK without a second thought :) Where SHOULD we go?

bradc
06-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Valmes - so the 4b's flow 335cfm and the 7b's flow 380cfm? I thought 9b's were rated at about 390cfm? And no, I didn't use babelfish!

And in regards to the wastegate, thats what I was looking at too, the welded up piece of pipe.

mitchy
06-12-2007, 08:52 AM
mitsubishi weld up the internal wastegates on alot of their turbos

Kenneth
06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Being a diesel turbo you may find that the AR on the exhaust housing is not suitable to use on a petrol engine. I believe the AR is much smaller on a diesel as the volume of exhaust gas it has to deal with is less and as such the turbo is designed to create boost much faster but doesn't have a wide RPM band to deal with.

Nick Mann
06-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Ohh... alright, I will put it in Russian for you... :)

No better, but no worse either! :P

It would be really good to meet you and see your car! Certainly let us know when you will be coming - I will be getting the list of main events up soon for next year, so maybe you could join us for one of those?

valmes
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Valmes - so the 4b's flow 335cfm and the 7b's flow 380cfm? I thought 9b's were rated at about 390cfm? And no, I didn't use babelfish!

And in regards to the wastegate, thats what I was looking at too, the welded up piece of pipe.

No 4b was a fictional turbo... it shouldn't flow anything at all.
9b flows 275 cfm.
13g flows 360 cfm.