PDA

View Full Version : I might have done it good and proper this time.....

Lillywotsername
05-12-2007, 06:58 PM
As many of you will know, I have suffered with problems with my right knee for a couple of years now after falling rather nastily from a horse.

Since then, I have, on occasions, known it just to give way at the most unsuspecting times giving me a few days of discomfort and often a week or so of swelling.

Up until now I haven't really given it much attention, putting it down to a weakness in the ligaments and taking pain killers when needed but i think I may have fubared it good and proper this time.

I was helping Richy to get stuff out of the loft yesterday and missed the bottom rung of the loft ladder, consequently I stepped down straight on to the landing. This for most people wouldn't have been a problem... it was about a foot drop thats all..... but for me it was the straw that has broke the camels back. My knee just collapsed from under me and left me in an agonizing heap on the floor. I can't tell you how bad the pain was, but all I can say is the I felt something pop inside my knee and I was crying like a baby ( and swearing till the sky turned blue)

It didn't get any easier last night as I lay on the sofa, I moved my toes and felt it go pop again. :(

So this morning, I broke with tradition and tootled off to the docs. He took one look at it ( it is twice its normal size) gently moved it one way, then the other and then forward... Well I nearly went through the ceiling. The pain of being straightened was to much and I was nearly back in tears again.

Anyway, my doc seems to think I have severely torn my crutiate ligament (sp. the criss cross ligament at the front of the knee) and I have to go to hospital on Friday to see if it is beyond natural repair. If it is, then I will have to have it repaired/Hissy :sad3: :bigcry:

Lets just hope that it isn't going to need working on but then from what I can gather if it hasn't got to that point yet then it will eventually as it is now so weak.

Still fingers crossed that it doesn't infringe on Christmas.

bradc
05-12-2007, 07:13 PM
That doesn't sound too good, while I don't want to be negative it does sound like it will impede on your christmas, unless Richy can piggy back you everywhere :)

I-S
05-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear this.... I've just been under the knife (very minor) on monday, but was hobbling around yesterday and suddenly realised quite how sprawling my workplace is. Thankfully things improved a bit today and was walking much easier.

However, the richy piggy-backs could be an upside ;)

Get well soon! And make sure you take the time to get it healed properly this time!

Kieran
05-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Get well soon! And make sure you take the time to get it healed properly this time!

That twice - Poor Lilly! /grouphug

richy rich
05-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Piggy-backs shes got no chance.

Spirit
05-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Poor you Lorr, sorry to hear you're in so much pain. That's the same injury that has caused several footballers to be out of action for months IIRC.

Good luck on Friday hun.

Pete & Shaz x

Nick VR4
05-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh bugger hope all goes well at hospital

bernmc
05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
What is it with the CVR4 widows and their knees...?

I think you're out of luck in terms of 'natural' healing. It's going to need to be fixed - ligaments like the cruciate don't have a good blood supply, and don't actively grow very well when they're damaged. It's going to be an arthroscopy and repair. Should be a daycase, so not too bad.

psbarham
05-12-2007, 08:54 PM
What is it with the CVR4 widows and their knees...?

i know, bloody wimmin, can't they just man up and deal with the pain:inquisiti

Should be a daycase, so not too bad. now where have i heard that before ? is that a standard nhs response?/Grrr

SGHOM
05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
GWS Loz :iloveyou:

hope this helps;

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/kneeinjuriescruciate.htm

peter thomson
05-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Hope you recover quickly and Xmas isn't spoiled by the pain you must be suffering.

Paul Beazer
05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Aaaw, you poor sod, that sounds pretty sore! Richy go look after her! Fetch the baby oil and grapes....

Lillywotsername
05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks Guys.....

I am not really looking forward to having surgery on it ( if that is what is required) but i will know more after I have been to the fracture clinic on Friday.

Just keeping fingers crossed atm, but not being too optimistic.

Nick Mann
05-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Good luck! And fingers crossed for you.

That ill-mannered hubby of yours had better be doing nice hings to take your mind off it! :P

/edit - just told the Vickster and she sends her love too.

HJM
06-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Oh baby, thats not good - hope you get it sorted as easily as you can - if not, let them lazy arse boys look after you for Christmas :)

Take care hun,

J

The Vee
06-12-2007, 12:46 AM
OOh painfull. Sorry to hear this Lil hope it gets sorted quickly. Of course, Milk it for all it's worth as far as Richy is concerned/pan /pan but do remember, you may not be able to outrun him for a while!:inquisiti :iloveyou:

AncientOfMu
06-12-2007, 12:50 AM
To echo everything said above I hope you get better very soon. Hugs sent your way :) /grouphug

Vicky Mann
07-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Good Luck at the hospital today Lilly, will be thinking of you. Let us know how you get on.

White Lightning
07-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh no, only just read this. Sounds like you were/are in a lot of pain. Good luck in hospital today and I hope you get better soon ...

/grouphug

Lillywotsername
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Well after 2 hours in the fracture clinic this morning, I am no further on than I was 3 days ago. Due to the swelling and pain in my knee, the doc I saw was unable to say for certain that it is the cruciate ligament. I have to go back in 2 weeks again to be reexamined :(

In the mean time, I have been put in a soft cast that can be removed for bed and driving. Still a pain in the butt though as it is goes from my thigh to my ankle and I can't bend my leg at all with it on :( only consolation is that it is a very festive "Red" colour :speechles

I just hope that after 2 weeks they can give me some news as to what can be done.

Nick Mann
07-12-2007, 04:47 PM
:(

Richy doing all the Christmas shopping, then? :P

Hope you can get some better news in a couple of weeks.

Nick VR4
07-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Ohh thats not good if the swelling is still there

Are you on pain killers if not take neurofen there good for inflamation I think

jpnvr4
07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
U got it bad mate .... get it sorted pronto ... as last sat I found out I got a slipped disc in my lower back .... now I'm in bed rest for 2 weeks ..... like I said mate get it sorted ... don't want 2 not have good fun in ur leggie now would U?

Little Miss Road Rage
08-12-2007, 02:33 PM
OMG that made me cringe reading it. I hope the swelling goes down before the next appt and they can do something. Keeping my fingers crossed for u.

Spirit
08-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear they couldn't sort it better yesterday Lorraine. Is the cast helping with the pain at all ?

Lillywotsername
08-12-2007, 06:32 PM
The cast just keeps it in one place. The problem I have is that any sudden or unexpected or even just normal movement and it can give way again and it wrecks like mad again.

Still if all else fails I have codine and a supply of wine to keep me on a sofa :) :D

Alex
08-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh no Lorr! Sorry, I've only just seen this. K's next to useless when it comes to telling me about something important that's happended. /pan I will be having words /Grrr

Anyway, really sorry to hear that you're in pain again - you seem to have had a really bad run of it this year. Make your Richy and the kids are tending to you properly, and let me know if there's anything I can do hun.

Speak to you soon darling.

HJM
09-12-2007, 12:06 AM
a supply of wine to keep me on a sofa :) :D

The best painkiller in the world and its all natural (well, its grapes, innit?) :happy:

Hope it sees you through without too much pain :iloveyou:

J

Lillywotsername
09-12-2007, 10:19 AM
and let me know if there's anything I can do hun.

Speak to you soon darling.
Thanks Hun....

The best painkiller in the world and its all natural (well, its grapes, innit?)

Too right... got to try and keep it au naturale as much as possible :iloveyou: :happy:

Little Miss Road Rage
09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Awww bless you'll just have to stay off it so it can't give way and hurt

Lillywotsername
21-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Well I had my hospital appointment this morning and I think it must have been a leg day at the fracture clinic...... There was people on crutches and legs in plaster everywhere.

Anyway.... saw the doctor and he seemed to think that I have wearing of the back of my knee cap and that is what caused it to give way. Physio and exercise should make it better.

I am just grateful that I don't have to go under the knife and I have my cast off again... It was really starting to pee me off having to drag that thing around with me.

Nick Mann
21-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Physio and exercise should make it better.
A game of Kiss Chase? :P :iloveyou:

I promise not to run too fast!! /pan

I am just grateful that I don't have to go under the knife and I have my cast off again... It was really starting to pee me off having to drag that thing around with me.

:thumbsup:

Kieran
22-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Good news then - What kind of excercise? I would have thought that running or walking (impact excercise) would make it worse?

ANTHONY
22-12-2007, 12:35 AM
hope you feel better soon

Nick Mann
22-12-2007, 12:57 AM
I would have thought that running or walking (impact excercise) would make it worse?

OOOoooohhhhh! Kiss chase in the pool!! ;)

Kieran
22-12-2007, 01:09 AM
OOOoooohhhhh! Kiss chase in the pool!! ;)

Bucket of cold water for nick!/pan

Lillywotsername
22-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Mainly static cycling I think and walking as long as it isn't power walking.....

Run too fast Nick...... If you go any faster than a snails pace still I wouldn't be able to catch you.

UHHHHHH!!!! What am I saying.. /pan

Richy can read this and I am trying to convince him that I can run fast enough now to give him a clout for all the wrong he has done over the last couple of weeks /pan /pan

Spirit
22-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Good news Lorraine.....glad you don't need an op at this stage