PDA

View Full Version : V6 24v Elegance buying tips / advice

HMG1K
06-12-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm off to Preswick this weekend to look at a Galant V6-24v Elegance saloon - a 2003 '52' plate, manual, leather, in Black - at the Bridgend Mitsubishi dealership (on AutoTrader) - so I'd appreciate any advice on what to look out for - weak spots etc...

I've driven a VR4 - so know what to expect from a turbo'd 2.5... and expecting a leap from my current 8 valve 2.0 GLSi Galant.

It's one owner from new, 49,000... Dealer is so obliging and will do a full service and belts & tentioners... year warranty, new MOT... all without me asking! Compared to the hassle the Weston super Mare dealer was!

Thank you in advance
philip

AncientOfMu
06-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm off to Preswick this weekend to look at a Galant V6-24v Elegance saloon - a 2003 '52' plate, manual, leather, in Black - at the Bridgend Mitsubishi dealership (on AutoTrader) - so I'd appreciate any advice on what to look out for - weak spots etc...

It's one owner from new, 49,000... Dealer is so obliging and will do a full service and belts & tentioners... year warranty, new MOT... all without me asking! Compared to the hassle the Weston super Mare was!

Thank you in advance
philip

tbh i dont think there is anything specific you should look for just general used car stuff.

imho it aint worth 6k though. but i guess thats what you get buying from a main dealer.

If it was my money i would go for a slightly older higher mileage one and get it a hell of a lot cheaper.

And if you are looking to spend 6k, why not get a facelift VR? maybe ive missed one of your posts somewhere but I thought you wanted a VR?.

Johnny_Cashed
06-12-2007, 07:08 PM
£6k sounds high to me - my 03 2.5V6 Elegance saloon was only £6300 a year ago, on 60k miles, three new tyres, service, years warranty on all parts, in perfect condition.

bradc
06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
It isn't worth 6k, but it does have all of the right option boxes ticked. Just get a VR-4 instead :)

HMG1K
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys...

I was after a VR4 - would love one, a facelift - but its the running costs and fuel that's swaying me the other way at the moment...

I've got the car down to £5.5k... plus I'm getting £400 (after haggling) for my 180k mile 1990 Galant which isn't worth buttons to anyone except me cos it's been a faithful car since I bought it with 10k on the clock... So the V6 Galant for £5,100.

ANTHONY
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
sounds good to me. the car IS worth it its just the car market that all wrong now if that was a Vectra , Mondao or BMW then it would be a lot more. but if your happy with the car and the deal their offering thats the most important thing

ritch_w
07-12-2007, 02:17 PM
is it this car?
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/msl/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&source=2&searchsrc=msl&pagesize=10&groupid=76111&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&variant=&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&min_mileage=&max_mileage=&agerange=&min_age=&max_age=&transmissionid=&fuelid=&colour=&bodyid=&postcode=ka137jb&miles=&max_records=200&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

if it is - i recommend this dealership knowing ths guys well and having bought tons of cars from them

HMG1K
07-12-2007, 02:27 PM
is it this car?
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/msl/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&source=2&searchsrc=msl&pagesize=10&groupid=76111&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&variant=&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&min_mileage=&max_mileage=&agerange=&min_age=&max_age=&transmissionid=&fuelid=&colour=&bodyid=&postcode=ka137jb&miles=&max_records=200&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

if it is - i recommend this dealership knowing ths guys well and having bought tons of cars from them

That's the one! I'm dealing with Gordon Brirrell there... Simply a wonderful guy to talk to, down to earth...

As I said in an earlier post on this thread he said they'd do a full service and tensioners & belts before releasing the car. He admited there are 2 very small and slight dings in the doors and told me they will pay to have those pushed out and looking perfect again - without me asking...

Thanks Ritch for your feedback... much appreciated!

miller
07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
To be honest with you the difference in running costs between the V6 and VR4 are probably minimal. I bought a n/a GTO as i was scared of the running costs of a TT GTO. In the end i spent as much as any other TT owner on maintenance and running costs. Only difference was two turbos.

Just a thought, for £5k you are looking at top end VR4's and early facelift models.

Mike

Kieran
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
To be honest with you the difference in running costs between the V6 and VR4 are probably minimal

Unfortunately, the VR-4 is *much* more expensive to run. The V6 needs a fettle every 9K and will average around 28mpg combined. They're also not bad on insurance.

When I upgraded to my VR-4 I very quickly realised that I coudn't afford to run it as my daily commuter car - On paper the difference between 21mpg and 27/28 (what I got from the V6 Sport I had) doesn't sound like much. In reality it was cripplingly expensive!

Nick Mann (another serial Galant owner) commented that the V6 is 2/3 the fun of a VR-4, but 1/2 the costs!

HMG1K
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
To be honest with you the difference in running costs between the V6 and VR4 are probably minimal. I bought a n/a GTO as i was scared of the running costs of a TT GTO. In the end i spent as much as any other TT owner on maintenance and running costs. Only difference was two turbos.

Just a thought, for £5k you are looking at top end VR4's and early facelift models.

Mike

Thanks you for the info Mike - I thought it was saving in the fuel costs (getting more MPG for my pound) and not having the 4.5k oil & changes fluid changes (although I always do my oil and filter every 3k)

Nick Mann
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
As Kieran said, if you are looking at Mitsy dealer servicing, then the VR4 is nearly double the money to run, compared to the VR4. I could easily get 30 plus mpg in both V6's I have owned, but struggle to get over 20 in the VR4. VR4 servicing is more than twice the cost of V6, parts are often more complicated and more expensive and insurance is more. Plus things like tyres cost more and wear quicker.

The running costs aren't quite double, but don't expect it to be much less!

I would imagine this amount will reduce as the cars get older, as more parts will need replacing - suspension etc will not be twice the price.

ritch_w
07-12-2007, 08:16 PM
big difference between running a v6 and a vr4.....

ritch_w
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
That's the one! I'm dealing with Gordon Brirrell there... Simply a wonderful guy to talk to, down to earth...

As I said in an earlier post on this thread he said they'd do a full service and tensioners & belts before releasing the car. He admited there are 2 very small and slight dings in the doors and told me they will pay to have those pushed out and looking perfect again - without me asking...

Thanks Ritch for your feedback... much appreciated!

Gordons a decent bloke - you'll be alright!

If I had known they had that car i'd be very very tempted to get it for it myself!!! Right spec, colour & manual - and good for 30 - 35mpg too! In fact let me know if u dont go for it:pimp2:
Is the private plate staying with the car too?

scc
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I find the alloys on these V6's are easily buckled. I've had to pay a an expense to get a new set. Id drive up to around 80+ to see if there are any shakes in the steering etc.

Also the leather seats in the later models are not as good as the older V624 models. The later ones feel cheaper in comparison and they slide a lot more.

The original suspension makes the handling a bit skittish at times. Try punching out of a roundabout and you may feel a rolly rolly feeling to it also.

Perhaps not so much on the manuals, but the auto versions seem to have this bouncy feel when the car is in neutral.

Brakes are not so good on these cars.

Cheers,
scc

HMG1K
07-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Gordons a decent bloke - you'll be alright!

If I had known they had that car i'd be very very tempted to get it for it myself!!! Right spec, colour & manual - and good for 30 - 35mpg too! In fact let me know if u dont go for it:pimp2:
Is the private plate staying with the car too?

That's good to know about Gordon! Thank you!

The plate's been transfered off the car by its last owner so now sits on a '52' plate...

Will keep you posted - the big fly up from London to Glasgow is this Sunday!

HMG1K
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I find the alloys on these V6's are easily buckled. I've had to pay a an expense to get a new set. Id drive up to around 80+ to see if there are any shakes in the steering etc.

Also the leather seats in the later models are not as good as the older V624 models. The later ones feel cheaper in comparison and they slide a lot more.

The original suspension makes the handling a bit skittish at times. Try punching out of a roundabout and you may feel a rolly rolly feeling to it also.

Perhaps not so much on the manuals, but the auto versions seem to have this bouncy feel when the car is in neutral.

Brakes are not so good on these cars.

Cheers,
scc

Thanks for all the tips - really appreciate it! I know what you mean about the alloys - I haven't driven one with those on but they don't look 'substantial' from the photos!

I'll try out your tips too!

ritch_w
08-12-2007, 10:12 AM
best thing to do with the suspension is change the springs over to eibach - totally eradicated the choppy harshness at low speeds and reduced body roll on the v6 eleagance / sport i had

Kieran
08-12-2007, 05:01 PM
best thing to do with the suspension is change the springs over to eibach - totally eradicated the choppy harshness at low speeds and reduced body roll on the v6 eleagance / sport i had

Agree. I went with H&R springs on my V6. They were firmer than the Eibachs and not progressive, however they were still a HUGE improvement on standard. One of the best modifications to the Later V6 Sport/Elegance that money can buy I think.

HMG1K
08-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Ritch has been over to see the car - feedback is she's excellent and is being kept inside away from the weather round there!

He's got second refusal - so between us, that V6 is going to a good home one way or another!

ritch_w
08-12-2007, 08:41 PM
yep - its a good un - wish I knew about it earlier ;) Its safely tucked away at the side of the workshops away from joe public.

If Philip doesnt buy it, I'll be looking into seeing what deal can be done with my mondeo!

HMG1K
08-12-2007, 10:13 PM
If Philip doesnt buy it, I'll be looking into seeing what deal can be done with my mondeo!

hehehe! Blimey, you'll get even more off the car if you trade in your Mondeo than I did with my £400 p/x! :happy:

ritch_w
09-12-2007, 12:54 PM
hehehe! Blimey, you'll get even more off the car if you trade in your Mondeo than I did with my £400 p/x! :happy:

i should expect so!, the potato, sorry mondeo is a 2004 ghia X tdci, so its better specced, better residuals, and newer than the galant, as well as being more economical.... i'd hope for some cash my way ;)

but the one thing it doesnt have........

presence!!! u look at a galant and go mmm or wow!!, u dont do that with a mondeo! /pan

HMG1K
09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited !

I'm just back home in London after my trip to Scotland to see the Galant at Bridgend... She was a dream to drive... immaculate condition, the leather is lovely inside... and to cap it off they Sureguarded the paintwork free of charge as they did another car and did this one too!

After 17 wonderful years with my current Galant, I'm driving her up to Scotland next Sunday to do the part exchange...

In the meantime the dealer is doing the full 54k service free of charge with belts and tensioners, I'm paying to have a water pump fitted at the same time as it isn't part of the service, but I'm fine with that... the two ever-so minor dents in the door that I couldn't see until they were pointed out are being done, free of charge, I'm getting a full 12 month MOT (despite the current one having 3 months to run), the bodywork has been Sureguarded free of charge now and the dealer says he has enough left and will do the floor mats / carpet for free... The only niggle I found was a misted front headlamp unit which the dealer knew about and is soring free of charge...

Bridgend dealership is a dream and joy to deal with - picked me up from the airport, dropped me off... nothing is a hassle for them...

Ok, my mods for the car...? I'm so light weight! Having rear parking sensors fitted and have enquired on the availability and cost of the twin VR4 fog lamp units (going by threads on here they will cost a morgage or won't be available, but I had to ask!)... And am seeing what the avaialbility of the stereo sub unit is for the rear parcel shelf... Saves me having to install my Kenwood one in the boot...

Anyway... after a few months of picking your brains, coming a whisker from buying a VR4, I am now a Galant V6-24v Elegance owner! Oh, and a Galant GLSi one too for the next 7 days on my old car!

Photos will follow - I took some on my mobile - just need to suss how to get them off and on to here!

Thank you! :iloveyou:

miller
09-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Good to hear it was worth the trip, sounds like you got a good deal and a pleasant dealer.

Well she may wear now get some pics up!

Mike

HMG1K
09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Good to hear it was worth the trip, sounds like you got a good deal and a pleasant dealer.

Well she may wear now get some pics up!

Mike

Thanks Mike! The photos on AutoTrader do not do the car justice... I took some on my mobile to keep me smiling on the plane journey home on two hours sleep after working an overnight!

ANTHONY
10-12-2007, 12:45 AM
sounds like youe got a nice car there /rally

ritch_w
10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
its a peach!

Its seriously made me want one again, so having missed on what is now Philips car, I'm seriously considering swapping the economy of the diesel mondeo for a v6 (again!)

spotted this - anyone know it?
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/294418.htm

HMG1K
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
its a peach!

spotted this - anyone know it?
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/294418.htm

That one on Pistonheads looks good - been there a few weeks - but as far as I can see it seems well looked after and the back windscreen says SteamForFun.com so looks like it is / was a private company car without being a company car, if you see what I mean. (To get rebates from the tax man as it was branded so is considered for business use)...

Run the number plate through the free Auto Trader number plate checker on its site, see if it is X-amount of owners etc.

HMG1K
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
:iloveyou: Thank you all for your kind praises and comments!

By the way, water pump supply and fitting is just £176 including VAT - so well worth it when having the 54k done... Also rear parking sensors, painted, are £293 including VAT... I've opted for both!

Bal
11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
im jealous, all this talk about v6s makes me wnat a v6 sport ...

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Thank you for all your kind comments! :iloveyou: Here are some photos I took of the V6 24v Elegance I went and saw and bought at Mitsubishi Bridgend last Sunday...

I'm picking it up this Sunday - it'll be a tough one as I'm working a 9pm to 5am overnight (Saturday into Sunday), my girlfriend picking me up in my current Galant to drive from west London to Prestwick while I snooze... I'll do the deal, I cry handing over my current car after 17 years today of happy motoring, and then drive off with the new Galant! Should be home by 11pm Sunday night!

The exras I've paid for are rear parking sensors... cruise control (I'll miss it otherwise as I have it on my current Galant)... and that's it.

I've just spent two hours tonight carefully unwiring my amp, sub, speakers and twin head units - they'll later go in the new Galant...

Thank you for all your help and advice! I'm really grateful - and hope to see you all at a meet sometime soon! /thankyou

bradc
12-12-2007, 01:02 AM
that looks great!

miller
12-12-2007, 09:34 AM
That looks gorgeous.....

Mike

evv
12-12-2007, 10:43 AM
looks fantastic.
exactly the same as mine - apart from mine is silver, automatic and got a boot spoiler. happy motoring.
ive only had mine 5 days and love it already.
mine does have 100k on it with FSH but it only cost me £2600!!
lee

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks folks!

Evv - I have toyed with getting a VR4 style spoiler... and am still toying... and will properbly get one!

Nick VR4
12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Congrats nice looking car :D

Johnny_Cashed
12-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Lovely looking car - same as mine!

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Lovely looking car - same as mine!

Thank you Nick & Johnny! :happy:

Now, smoked side repeaters Johnny...? I'm adding that to my list of mods..! They look great on yours ! :scholar:

Johnny_Cashed
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Smoked side repeaters and get some osram diadems to stop the fried egg look on the front indicators that the orange bulbs give (something I still need to do).

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Smoked side repeaters and get some osram diadems to stop the fried egg look on the front indicators that the orange bulbs give (something I still need to do).

Thank you for the tip ! :happy:

Aren't the indicators totally clear on the front...? I know the VR4's have that orange filter tinge to them...

Is it just a quick search on the net for osram diadems...?

I want to get the top of the range Philips headlamp bulbs too - there was a recent test of about 20 bulbs in Auto Express and how good / bad they all were for beam distance etc, and the Philips came top by miles (pardon the pun)... I've got the review at home, just forgotten the name of the bulb in its range.

Johnny_Cashed
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi HGMK,

Yes the front indicators are totally clear (well, made of a clear material but ridged internally to diffuse the light) but because it's clear, like in the clear side repeaters they have to use an orange bulb to give the orange light. And if you look at the car from the front, you can see like an orange splodge in the reflector due to the orange bulb. Osram diadems are silver to look at, but give an orange light when lit.

Hope this makes some sense?

I-S
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Osram Diadems give a Blue fried egg effect. Get Philips Silvervision indicator bulbs for the clearest look: http://www.askisaac.com/images/car/galantfleet1.jpg In that picture the green galant has the silvervisions and the red one has standard bulbs - you can see the difference.

The top philips headlamp bulbs are the Extreme Power +80%. However, since that Autoexpress test, Osram have released their Nightbreaker +90% which, given how good their silverstar +50% are, are certainly worth a look.

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Fantasic - all makes sense and thanks for both your top tips, Isaac & Johnny!

I see what you mean on the clear as possible indicators - especially on a Pyrenees Black one!

evv
12-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks folks!

Evv - I have toyed with getting a VR4 style spoiler... and am still toying... and will properbly get one!

me too.
ive currently got quite a low spoiler on the boot - i think its the standard one? keeping my eye out for a vr4 spoiler now which i think will set it off really nicely. let me know if you come across two in your search!!
enjoy your fantastic looking car.
cheers.
evv

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
me too.
ive currently got quite a low spoiler on the boot - i think its the standard one? keeping my eye out for a vr4 spoiler now which i think will set it off really nicely. let me know if you come across two in your search!!
enjoy your fantastic looking car.
cheers.
evv

Thanks evv!

Sounds like you have the standard spoiler - there were two 'VR4' spoilers - one which we all know and love is the proper VR4 spoiler and comes WITH a built in rear brake light... The other one which was in the standard Galant brochures is billed as the Sport spoiler - exactly the same, but with NO rear brake light built in.

Not sure if the Sport without break lamp obscures the rear windscreen brake lamp on standard Galants or not... I'd want to plump for the VR4 with brake light!

g6acb
12-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Not sure if the Sport without break lamp obscures the rear windscreen brake lamp on standard Galants or not... I'd want to plump for the VR4 with brake light!

Thats the one I have... and yes it does.. so I got some vr4 light clusters that use the fog lights as brake lights - patched in the fog to one of the bulbs and failed the MOT!! (but the guy let me have 10 mins to change wiring harness for the uk one and passed it)

Out of choice I'd have the spoiler with the light built in :thinking:

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Thats the one I have... and yes it does.. so I got some vr4 light clusters that use the fog lights as brake lights - patched in the fog to one of the bulbs and failed the MOT!! (but the guy let me have 10 mins to change wiring harness for the uk one and passed it)

Out of choice I'd have the spoiler with the light built in :thinking:

That was sweet of him!

I bet there're pennys in manufacturing the two spoilers - but hundreds in buyng one over the other... Are they around £800 for a sport spoiler...?

g6acb
12-12-2007, 07:39 PM
That was sweet of him!

I bet there're pennys in manufacturing the two spoilers - but hundreds in buyng one over the other... Are they around £800 for a sport spoiler...?

The original sales invoice lists it as a 500 quid option, sprayed and fitted by the dealer with a boot spring upgrade kit as part of the package

I am tempted to get one with the light built in off ebay in the states - others have been happy with them in the past - they are pretty cheap but need spraying - i reckon about £150 all in :inquisiti

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-99-03-Mitsubishi-Galant-OE-Style-High-Spoiler-Wing_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ016QQite mZ260192418876QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

HMG1K
12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
That is a bargin off eBay!

So $98 postage and packing - in this economic climate is £50 and $69 (£35) for the spoiler is amazing...

I'm going to keep my eye on that and my next mod!

HMG1K
14-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Grrr - but not that Grrr ! /pan

I'm now picking the Galant up NEXT Sunday on the 23rd as the optional cruise control unit I asked to be fiitted as an option is faulty... So the dealer is getting a new unit sourced and fitted... They did give me the option of having in fitted in London but with London labour rates at a Mitsubishi garage being around £120 an hour compared to Scotland's £60 an hour, it was no contest! :scholar:

I have the paitence of an angel at the moment!

pitslayer
15-12-2007, 04:28 PM
make sure you get the front lowered aswell, they look tits with just the fronts lowered, with the strut braces on aswell, the rear end doesnt roll all over the place like you think it would

HMG1K
15-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the tip! Will give it a good roll around first and then get them lowered to fel the difference!

Johnny_Cashed
15-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Personally I wouldn't lower it. Yeah, it would probably look better, but (I think) my galant is at standard height, and the front is just the right height to clear kerbs, and so lets me park what is really a long car without it sticking out too much.

bradc
15-12-2007, 07:33 PM
you can park anywhere with a lowered car, you just have to be more careful.

ritch_w
15-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the tip! Will give it a good roll around first and then get them lowered to fel the difference!

eibachs will be your nirvana :pimp2:

the force is strong in this one :happy:

HMG1K
24-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Got it! The Galant Elegance! After a long 8 hour drive from London to Irvine, leaving at 5.30am through the dense fog of a Sunday, I did the deal yesterday afternoon before driving back to London, getting in at 11pm... Big thanks to the girlfriend for sharing the driving duties...

I can't get over how lovely the 2.5 engine purrrs when you start the engine and how it gently raws as you pull away... The leather seats with lumbar are so confortable (especially after that long drive)... and lovely to stick your foot down when someone is up your rear in a Vauxhall Astra and you leave them for dust without the car breaking into a sweat!

Mods! So, I've cruise control fitted now... rear parking sensors (colour coded)... I've got smoked side repeaters to stick on and the Philips SilverVision clear indicator bulbs front and rear, which I'll do later today (thanks Johnny_Cashed & Issac for that advice)... I'll get the VR4-style twin front fogs ordered from Japan this week (thanks to g6acb for tips on fitting options)... Get my stereo, amp and sub fitted, change the speakers and that's it!

I'm off to admire my new toy in the driveway!

ritch_w
24-12-2007, 09:41 AM
you lucky lucky lucky jammy .............

nice one ;)

HMG1K
24-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks mate :chugchug: - keeping her as close to stock as possible on the outside and in.

n13l pm
24-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Great stuff mate :2thumbsup . Join the Elegance club!

Johnny_Cashed
24-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Great stuff mate :2thumbsup . Join the Elegance club!

Hehehe, seconded, watch out for the sport owners though...

I-S
25-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Ooohhh, can I join? Mine's an elegance, even though it's not a V6...

HMG1K
26-12-2007, 03:00 PM
hehehe! The more the merrier of any variety! :2thumbsup

Fitted my Philips SilverVision indicator bulbs front and rear - WOW!!! They make a huge difference and dare I say flash brighter / stronger... :chugchug:

Fitted the smoked side repeaters - and they finish off the car on the side, being smoked and mine car's colour being black! :thumbsup:

Next up is the stereo system!

Zaid
26-12-2007, 05:02 PM
hehehe! The more the merrier of any variety! :2thumbsup

Fitted my Philips SilverVision indicator bulbs front and rear - WOW!!! They make a huge difference and dare I say flash brighter / stronger... :chugchug:

Fitted the smoked side repeaters - and they finish off the car on the side, being smoked and mine car's colour being black! :thumbsup:

Next up is the stereo system!

It will be nice to see some photos... i might get tempted and do mine! :)

I-S
26-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Now I'm back home I've been looking at the silvervisions on my brother's car (my old green galant), and I do need to get some for the GDI. But I need to get the engine all sorted first...

HMG1K
01-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Sorry it's taken an age to get photos - below is a shot I just took in the rain of the rear with the SilverVision indicator bulbs alongside a shot of before I changed them. Tried doing the front but it's not showing up great in the light so will do it in the day.

The full shot of the rear is before - the other is after with the SilverVisions

HMG1K
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Just found this 'handover' photo I took when saying goodbye to my old Galant and collecting the 'new' one

Kieran
01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Crumbs, the 8G looks quite a bit bigger than your old 6G - I didn't realise there was that much in it!

HMG1K
01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Crumbs, the 8G looks quite a bit bigger than your old 6G - I didn't realise there was that much in it!

The 8G is HUGE to the eye in comparison - though millimeters wider when you look at the width measurements of the two cars in their respective brochures. The 8Gs bulges on the front wings make it look far bigger than it is!

I still haven't the confidence to wizz through 6'6" width restriction barriers round my way in the 8G as I used to in my old 6G!

HMG1K
06-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Here are some photos I just took of my car with the smoked repeaters on the side - sorry for the delay getting them up.

HMG1K
06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi HGMK,

Yes the front indicators are totally clear (well, made of a clear material but ridged internally to diffuse the light) but because it's clear, like in the clear side repeaters they have to use an orange bulb to give the orange light. And if you look at the car from the front, you can see like an orange splodge in the reflector due to the orange bulb. Osram diadems are silver to look at, but give an orange light when lit.

Hope this makes some sense?

Here are photos of the Philips SilverVision clear indicator bulbs...

I've fitted them front and rear - and what a great upgrade! They flash brighter too! :happy:

Paul Beazer
07-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Hehehe, seconded, watch out for the sport owners though...
Oi! Watch it!