PDA

View Full Version : Electric Power Steering?

matsondawson
07-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Hi guys,

Honda and others have had electric power steering as an option in a few models since the 90's, what do you think about taking the rack and pinion out of one of these cars and modifying it to fit a VR4?
like get that 3% extra fuel efficiency and power steering that doesn't explode when you do donuts... (and maybe a little less weight)

stuartturbo
07-12-2007, 08:44 AM
depends on what type you what as there is
a electric power steering EPS
a electric hydraulic power steering EPHS
what we have hydraulic power steering PAS/HPS
the EPS is either a motor ecu and torque sensor fitted to the column as a general rule(vaux corsa, fiat punto) or some do use it as part off the rack (honda nsx citreon c5)
Then the EHPS is a standard eliment pump with a motor fitted, all work in slightly different ways, The VAG group are quite sophisticated where as the BMW Mini and vaux astra MERC A class is on all the time, As a retro fit the mini option would be better, as you only need power(40amp) and then a 2 12v feeds( one ignition and one senses voltage.
weight is heavier but you can put it any where.
As for 3% fuel saving dont forget a HPS will draw about 3/5hp so 3%????

To stop ours or any exploding when doing donuts just hold it off full lock,
Try this
Listen turn the steering wheel to full lock you will here the pump is noisier
Now then let go off the wheel it will bounce back and thats enougth to save it. The HPS noise will change.

matsondawson
07-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I was thinking straight electric... and I figure if you're on a long trip, straight roads. For the 3% I was just reading something on BMW and things they've been doing. I'm guesing they'd be refering to non turbo small engine cars.

One of the interesting ones they've done is only use the alternator if they car is decelerating/braking (or the battery is actually going flat). Otherwise, small savings to be gained. Could probably whip up something on any car to do that.

And another is replacing the water pump with an electric pump, that only pumps as much as it needs to cool. When you start the car it doesn't pump until the engine gets warm, then it only pumps as much as it needs to cool the engine. This would actually be cool in the sense you wouldn't have to replace the waterpump when you did the cam belt as you could stick it wherever you want.

stuey
07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
They've been using electric power steering & water pumps in race cars for years. I was thinking of changing to electric water pump in the other car.

The Mini & A-class merc pumps are easiest to get hold of here I'd have thought.

stuartturbo
08-12-2007, 09:32 PM
If going to electric would be better using a mini pump or a class
Dont forget you will also need to strip your PAS down to remove the eliments or fit a short loop to lube it up, or makeand or install a dummy pump as i doudt sorting the new belt run would work
The benifit is when moving straight and fast you general dont need much assistance
electric water pump would the same principles as removing the PAS but just remove the impeller
It would need to run from start up due to the localised heat build up but the main benefit is it can be left on timer so keep water circulating to cool the engine after stopping

For the work involved i would stick to a standard setup for the sake of 3/5hp
Also dont forget aircon as that has an effect
A heavy alternator drain will also increase power consumption so how much is there to really to gain:thinking:
manufactures like Electric elements of power steering as on a rolling road doing their mixed fuel cycles etc it does no get used hence better fuel economy
the benefit on race car is that you can have assisance all the time with out analating the pump due to constant high reving probally 1.3*engine rpm in general

Done both on development engine

plenty of waffle:inquisiti