PDA

View Full Version : More Drive issues

Roberto
07-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Finally Mitsu fitted the drive shaft supplied by Mo.

It went in without any problems, niceone.

But when taking it for a test drive, more trouble.
They are now saying there is no drive to that side, from the diff.

Now I don't know a huge amount, so could I be enlightened as to the drive train.
Engine to gearbox, no issue.
Gearbox to transfer box??
To front diff??
To rear diff?

Plus as always any help here would be greatfully recieved as always.

Starting to get really peeved off at this stage.
I am having to use Liz's car, so that leaves her without one.
And the goodwill is starting to wain.....

Nick Mann
07-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't understand that? Loss of drive on just one wheel would suggest to me a broken driveshaft. I think a broken diff could lead to complete loss of drive? Which wheel is getting no drive? The one where they replaced the shaft? If so, I'd be asking what they did when they changed the shaft!

Roberto
07-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Nick, I was just talking to the service manager/receptionist.
So unsure exactly whats going on at the moment.

What I do know is thier Real service manager/mechanic is on holidays.

If they have done something, how do you prove it???

But this is looking like the end of the road with me, likely that if not overly costly to fix, it could well be up for sale very soon.../Grrr

Nick Mann
07-12-2007, 05:39 PM
TBH, some of your problems recently have sounded a bit strange. Maybe it is a mix up between your mechanics mouth and your fingers? Or maybe your mechanic hasn't got a clue.

From where I am sat, it is sounding like a lack of understanding is spoiling your enjoyment of your car and possibly costing you money that doesn't need spending.

I hope you get it sorted soon and return to smiling about it again!

Roberto
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
So do I Nick.

But since buying the car each year it has cost me money and the jobs list is just mounting up.

Radiator.
Top hose.
Water pump.
Drive shaft.
Wheel hub.
Exhaust
Windscreen
2 sets of tyres
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Not to mention oil, petrol, brake pads etc.

I do really like and want the car, but where does it stop???

Nick Mann
07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Radiator -bad luck. I have had this too.
Top Hose - strange one? Same time as the Rad?
Water pump - should really be done with a cam belt service - was it, or did it fail for another reason?
Drive shaft - still don't understand your spline problem? I could understand the inner joint wearing - this does happen, especially if the rubber boot splits and lets grease out/water in.
Wheel hub - only a wheel bearing. Expensive, but not really a break-down in an old car.
Exhaust - hopefully now a stainless one? Again, not many old cars get away wthout having this done.
Windscreen - can't blame the car for that, surely?
Tyres - ditto!
Clutch cylinders - seems a bit wierd that both needed changing?
Others are all service items. The VR4 is not cheap to service, but all cars need it!

I would isolate your problems as radiator, drive shaft and clutch cylinders, with a question mark over the water pump. It's not that horrendous, and possibly could be better if people knew what they were doing?

Kieran
07-12-2007, 06:14 PM
No drive to the front driveshaft.... Errr, that might be by design? I thought the front diff was an open one?

Roberto
07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I know when I bought ther car it would not be cheap to run or repair.
But do not want a growing list of repairs.

Just talked to Mitsu, dirve shaft was normal wear, which is I suppose acceptable.
I'm just getting a whole heap of ear ache over the car and money is not free flowing either right now.

The main problem now is one that started just before the car went in for the drive shaft.

The drive train is locking up, when I had the car it was happening only in REVERSE, forward drive was fine except for the drive shaft whine.

So thier lead mechanic is back on Monday, so hopefully he can solve the latest mystery.

TRYING VERY HARD TO KEEP THE FAITH, BUT IT IS BEING TESTED QUITE HARD RIGHT NOW.

Kieran
07-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Oh right..... I wonder if that's related to your transfer box running dry?:inquisiti

richy rich
07-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Is it offside or nearside wheel with no drive.

Roberto
07-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Sorry Richy,

I was misled earlier by Mitsu, it not no drive.
The drive is locking up, possible only in reverse.

Any ideas out there, would really like a simple solution, but have a nasty gearbox feeling coming on.

Anyway after another day of sod all sleep and phone calls, its time to head out for another glourious night shift, then sleep and then another night shift.

With no fun /rally in between.

richy rich
07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Id look first as k said at transfer box the gear box drives the tran box, that then transfers power to all for wheels.

Roberto
07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Mitsu's chief mechanic is back on Monday so hopefully he can get to the bottom of it.

I've started another thread as a possible cause.
As below.

Are all the magnets on the drain plugs the same size?

The gearbox one was about 3/4 inch.
But the one from the transfer box was only in the body of the plug itself.
Is this normal or has the magnet gone AWOL, MY THINKING IS THAT IT COULD BE IN THE TRANSFER BOX, causing my new drive issues./pan

Kieran
07-12-2007, 11:12 PM
That's normal Roberto - Nothing to worry about there. Makes cleaning out the swarf a pain!

Roberto
10-12-2007, 05:12 PM
So the drive train was stripped abit today to find the offending fault.

As partially suspected, its the transfer box, it has allready been removed from the car and split.
A couple of gears have broken teeth and one gear has broken free of its shaft and doing what it likes./pan

So Master Mo has been contacted again an hopefully will have a replacement winging its way to me in the next few days.

They have checked the rest of the system and given it a clean bill of health.
So hopefully, apart from a major hole in the wallet, I be fully mobile next week.

White Lightning
10-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Sounds like some good progress there Roberto ... what caused the problem with the transfer box in the first place? Did it lose all it's fluid?

HMG1K
10-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread - how can I get in touch with Mo..? I tried sending a PM but it was rejected becuase his inbox was full...

Thanks! And now back to the thread!:happy:

peter thomson
10-12-2007, 06:15 PM
link with number and email is here

http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=Galant_spares

Roberto
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Yep WL, the transfer box was dry, I drained some sludge and filled with Amsoil.

But my thinking is the sludge could have been holding thinks is place.
Or I dislodged some serious swarf and it may have caused the damage.
Not sure if I'll ever really know.

At this stage I just want a happy car again.

I'll Be talking to Mo tomorrow, I'll remind him is InBox is full./Hijack forgiven.

ANTHONY
10-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread - how can I get in touch with Mo..? I tried sending a PM but it was rejected becuase his inbox was full...

Thanks! And now back to the thread!:happy:try his mobile its on the mousemat

HMG1K
10-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks Peter and Anthony - much appreciated for Mo's details!