PDA

View Full Version : Weird rubbing sound

Oblivion
09-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Ok I'm posting this here as I'm guessing its something in the suspension. My cars been doing it for almost as long as I've had it and maybe I'm just being paranoid but it still bugs me! Hopefully someone here is much wiser than I or the mechanics that I've talked to.
If I'm on a smooth asphalt road doing over 60km/h and I turn right (so the body rolls onto the left), I get this weird rubbing kind of sound/ vibration coming from the rear left. Kinda like when you drive on those painted lines on the motorway but very minimal. If I turn left (so the body rolls onto the right), theres no sound at all. If the road is straight it will do it sometimes too if the road is arched (as from one gutter to the other) enough so that there is more weigh on the left side.
So should I worry about it or just put up with it?

Subaru ETA
09-12-2007, 08:09 AM
any scuffing on the tyres? if you look at the plastic gaurd liner on the left rear are there any marks?

Oblivion
09-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah I've checked for that but seems like the tyres arent rubbing on anything. I know the tyre rub sound but thats more of a scuffing sound like you said. This sound is more ummm dull? I never thought a sound wld be so hard to explain! lol

Gly
09-12-2007, 08:30 AM
ayc kicking in for some strange reason??

Oblivion
11-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Good idea but I have the no AYC version VR4. Having a close look at the suspension components it looks like one of the arms has been replaced at sometime, perhaps something is out of alignment? Tyre wear seems consistant though...

Paul Beazer
11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Wheel balancing out?
Driveshafts rubbing?
Imbalanced propshaft?
Brakes rubbing?

Davezj
11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
sounds like a wheel bearing as these ofter rumble under load in cornering way before you will notice anything in a straight line.

or it could be parking brake lining binding under load. but this only usually happens if the shoe line is gone completely.

hope this helps

Oblivion
12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll get a few of them checked out starting with the wheel bearing, thats sounds like the most likely one.

Subaru ETA
12-12-2007, 06:35 AM
i thought maybe wheel bearing but you said you had allready taken it to a mechanic?

santa222
12-12-2007, 08:14 AM
hey, myn does this also, an i meet a guy who had the exactly same noise. ive had myn for bout 3 yrs now an its still going fine, ive also replaced the suspension an noise still there

bernmc
12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
My money's on wheel bearing too. Can be difficult to detect in the early stages when it's not loaded up. You may need to get it free of the driveshaft and try rotating it by hand - should be smooth as silk.

White Lightning
12-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Having a close look at the suspension components it looks like one of the arms has been replaced at sometime, perhaps something is out of alignment?

Could be.

The ride height on my car was not quite right ... especially at the rear ... recent investigations have proven that most of this was down to the fact that the rear suspension upper arms were not in alignment. I was actually quite surprised how much difference it made.

Your car is lowered quite a bit right? Could it be that the tyre is just rubbing a little bit but not enough to show noticeable wear?

bradc
12-12-2007, 08:54 PM
When tyres rub they tend to make a fairly high pitched squeaking noise, which is very noticable. I know from experience :)

Oblivion
13-12-2007, 01:08 AM
i thought maybe wheel bearing but you said you had allready taken it to a mechanic?

I did while back and their response was something along the lines of "ahhh.. ummm yeh could be a number of things but if its driving ok and nothing seems to be wearing out I wouldnt worry about it". /Grrr

Oblivion
13-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Your car is lowered quite a bit right? Could it be that the tyre is just rubbing a little bit but not enough to show noticeable wear?

Its lowered but I wouldnt say alot, it only has King lowering springs.

Turbo_Steve
13-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Mine does a similar "wheel bearing / AYC kind of noise" but only under power, on smooth roads, at medium speed accelerating with the wheel turned. Comes from the back somewhere. Convinced it's something to do with AYC....it somehow sounds a bit mechanical, if that makes sense?

Davezj
13-12-2007, 02:33 PM
ah!! that reminds me, when i had an issue with my AYC going really quick into an ever tightening turn that your so far in you can't lift off or your are history, i was praying the ayc was as good as i had read about. and it was.

but anyway, mid turn three bars up on the dash got a real grinding noise from the back end and once out the other side the ayc red waring light came on. for the rest of the way home. switch off car and back on again and light stayed off. it did get worse and the red ayc light started coming on more often. but no grinding sound.

it was not long after this i did a rear diff (gear oil), clutch pack (ATF), transfer case (gear oil) fluid change and ayc pressure switch change. it has been fine ever since and i have been round that corner a number of time since and all ok.

Subaru ETA
14-12-2007, 09:14 AM
I did while back and their response was something along the lines of "ahhh.. ummm yeh could be a number of things but if its driving ok and nothing seems to be wearing out I wouldnt worry about it". /Grrr

ahh yes, i know that phrase well..let a mechanic translate it for you...."we dont have a ****en clue whats wrong...bring it back when it breaks..." :p

Oblivion
16-12-2007, 06:40 AM
ahh yes, i know that phrase well..let a mechanic translate it for you...."we dont have a ****en clue whats wrong...bring it back when it breaks..." :p

HAHAHA :D I thought so, thanks for clearing that up :)

Oblivion
03-12-2012, 12:10 AM
So five years later.... changed the front wheel bearings and now vibration free :) I had previously changed the rear bearings and had given up hope after that but as it turns out it was the front!

Atik
03-12-2012, 01:29 PM
LOL.

Well done on getting it fixed though!

I also had a dodgy wheel bearing which I had diagnosed as a dodgy rear diff. Turns out it was a nice easy fix as I had a spare wheel bearing!

menno3x8g
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup: