PDA

View Full Version : Time required to fit FMIC?

Throbbe
10-12-2007, 11:19 AM
How long is a peice of string? :thinking:

Got some time off work this week and wondering whether or not to tackle it. I suspect getting the bumper off is the biggy?

Not particularly competent mechanic, so lots of tea breaks to work stuff out should be factored in. As should the weather, as I haven't a garage.

Is 7-8 hours sensible?

Nick Mann
10-12-2007, 11:22 AM
It should be easily done in that time. Yes - bumper removal is the biggy, especially the two small screws that go up into the front wing. And they are really bad on the drivers side - the washer bottle gets in the way!

Throbbe
10-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Cheers Nick. Being an excitable type (and having the use of Mrs Throbbes car this evening) I've postponed the service to Wednesday and dived in on the intercooler.

Wasn't too bad getting the front end off. Not sure if the facelift front end is different, but access to the wing bolts was from the wheelarch. See, they are betterer! :scholar:

Time for a tea/internet break.

Edit: Said internet break has revealed that you also have a facelift. Oh well, I'm puzzled. Lovely car btw.

Nick Mann
10-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks! I still find those two bolts a nightmare to get at. Maybe your wheel liner is more damaged than mine?! :P

Glad you've got going on the job well - what are you replacing it with? (Don't say another intercooler! /pan )

Throbbe
10-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Greddy Spec-V. Not going for huge boost/bigger turbos so quite happy to compromise a bit of cooling to improve flow. A PM conversation with Keiran pretty much confirmed what I was already thinking.

While the front is off I'm fitting the ATF cooler and a BOV too. A quick topic search has just reminded me I need to ring Lifesure too to declare the mods. Ooops, should have checked the price first. /pan

Once that's done, next move is decat, Fuel pump and regulator to be on the safe side, then Profec E-01 and e-manage. Probably in the new year now.

Nick Mann
10-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a good list! :thumbsup:

Wakaba
11-12-2007, 01:45 PM
can you do me a favor when your front end is off? Measure the distance between the two upper mounting bolts. I found a nice tube and fin FMIC for rather cheap, and want to know how hard it will be to fit.