PDA

View Full Version : alarm

butch
10-12-2007, 07:29 PM
hi guys.

im looking to fit an aftermarket alarm to my new baby and want some advice. i was thinking of the clifford concept 650 g5 mk2. i would like remote start. has anyone got any other ideas for a similar price £500 or lower?, also will remote start ne ok on this?

thanks
butch

HMG1K
10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Perfect... perfect... perfect!

That's the one I've got my eye on - the Clifford... I've done lots of Google searching and for the MKII seems to be £300 to £350 inc VAT supplied and fitted. The £350 mark they come to you to install...

Few things to keep in mind when searching / calling - make sure it is the MKII they are talking about... Also there are three options with the MKII If the model ends in a 'P' it is for the 350 MKII with Proximity Sensor... You can get a Glass Break Sensor and a few others. You can fit these as extras at the time of install.

I've had a Clifford Super IPS on my current Galant for the last 16 years - and looking at today's spec sheet the features are the same... You will love the auto-arming after 30 seconds... The valet mode of leaving the flashing light on but the alarm off when you take it for a service (meaning you don't hand your alarm fob over as well as your keys)... and the fact it 'chirps' at you if you set the alarm manually (twice to say it's armed and three times if a door isn't properly shut)... also when you return to the car it chirps once to disarm, and three times if the alarm went off while you were away...

Good choice!

I'm also getting a tracker for mine too - Good prices out there from TrackStar for £325.

Throbbe
30-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Rather than start a new thread ...

Anyone got any other thoughts? Was thinking the same system myself.

From past experience, the percieved reliability issues with Cliffords tend to be down to bad fitting. Anyone know someone good around Cambridgeshire? I can manage mechanical stuff, but anything that I can't fix with a hammer is beyond me. /pan

miller
30-12-2007, 02:47 PM
I can recommend a chap from Mansfield, Mobile fitter in and around the East Midlands who will travel. What this chap doesnt know about alarms aint worth knowing

Tell him Mike sent you. He has a GTO and has worked on mine.

Julian

DCA Vehicle Security

Mike

HMG1K
30-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Following my earlier posting on this thread, I've decided against going for the Clifford on my new Galant simply on the grounds of what the standard factory fit Cobra alarm and immobilser Mitsubishi supplied the Galant with as it has virtually the same features as what the Cliford has.

My Elegance has the Optimum HF3 (SP029742) fitted - the instruction manual says it has:

** Panic 'personal protection' alarm feature to the remote control (what the Clifford has)...

** Interior sensors (what the Clifford has)...

** Alerts you if you set the alarm and a door / boot isn't properly shut (what the Clifford has)...

** Alerts you with various 'code' flashes of the indicators if the alarm has gone off whilst you've been away - (what the Clifford does as well)...

The Clifford also has a valet feature - meaning you and switch the alarm off when you take your car for a service and you don't have to hand your alarm fob over. The Galants (my 52 plate has) a third grey key which means it works certain parts of the car but not others, so you give this key to a service guy and not your regualr keys / alarm fob.

The only thing I roughly miss from the Clifford is the auto-arming feature after 30 seconds of the last door / boot is shut.

Check what alarm system you have, if any, as I know a UK spec VR4 I looked at came with the Optimum HF2 system, not the HF3.

I've opted to save the £350 on a Clifford and gone ahead with having a TrackStar tracking device fitted (£325 including VAT and fitting, cheapest I found compared to the regular £450)... This week I'm having clear protecive SupaGlass fitted, prevents people smashing your side windows to get in.

Throbbe
30-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Check what alarm system you have, if any, as I know a UK spec VR4 I looked at came with the Optimum HF2 system, not the HF3.

I assumed mine was dodgy at first but a check of all the cubby holes in the boot revealed that the alarm had been removed for some reason and the bots stck in there. I put it in the glovebox to remind me to get it fitted.

Unfortunately, a thief with a well developed sense of irony broke in and stole the alarm before I could do so. This would be much funnier if it had happened to someone else.

HMG1K
30-12-2007, 03:46 PM
I assumed mine was dodgy at first but a check of all the cubby holes in the boot revealed that the alarm had been removed for some reason and the bots stck in there. I put it in the glovebox to remind me to get it fitted.

Unfortunately, a thief with a well developed sense of irony broke in and stole the alarm before I could do so. This would be much funnier if it had happened to someone else.

Which case - go for the Clifford! That one mentioned in this thread is Thatcham approved, as you may know...

I had zero hassles with the Clifford Super IPS (essentially the same as the new ones) in the 16 years I had it... I only got through two sirens, no idea why as it wasn't as if the alarm was going off all the time - but just 'died' and the siren fixed it.. Oh and had a re-solder of some connection inside the alarm fob. Teached me not to throw around my keys all the time! /pan

The £350 mark is right for the Clifford - though any higher check what you are getting. You can spec glass break sensors that push you to the £450 territory, or tilt motion sensors etc - but all will be clear when you look at the ads / chat to the guy mentioned in an earlier posting here

Johnny_Cashed
30-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I can recommend a chap from Mansfield

Thanks for the heads up miller, I might need to have an alarm installed in the new year, mansfield isn't that far from here.

miller
30-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Your in even more luck, his other half lives in Chesterfield. Talk him into a Legnum! Im nearly there with him, dont think he will sell his GTO though, its mint.

Thanks for the heads up miller, I might need to have an alarm installed in the new year, mansfield isn't that far from here.

Johnny_Cashed
30-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Your in even more luck, his other half lives in Chesterfield. Talk him into a Legnum! Im nearly there with him, dont think he will sell his GTO though, its mint.

Just out of interest, it isn't red is it? Saw a nice looking red GTO pulling out of a junction near old whittington when I was driving home one day.

miller
30-12-2007, 05:13 PM
No, his is a silver GTO.

Mike

orionn2o
31-12-2007, 12:31 PM
The only thing I roughly miss from the Clifford is the auto-arming feature after 30 seconds of the last door / boot is shut.

Yes theres nothing like being miles from home, leaving the keys in the ignition while you stand around the car and then have the car lock in front of your very eyes!!

Not that it ever happened to me (3 times) with my last car lol

Throbbe
31-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I can recommend a chap from Mansfield, Mobile fitter in and around the East Midlands who will travel. What this chap doesnt know about alarms aint worth knowing

Tell him Mike sent you. He has a GTO and has worked on mine.

Thanks Mike, got him fitting a Toad Ai606 next weekend. He wasn't keen on Cliffords, and even after adding a couple of options to the Toad it was still a better price.

Will feed back when it's fitted.

HMG1K
31-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes theres nothing like being miles from home, leaving the keys in the ignition while you stand around the car and then have the car lock in front of your very eyes!!

Not that it ever happened to me (3 times) with my last car lol

YIKES!!! I didn't have the auto lock of the doors feature - I left that option off, just had the auto arming so if a door was opened the siren would go off!

Kieran
31-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks Mike, got him fitting a Toad Ai606 next weekend. He wasn't keen on Cliffords, and even after adding a couple of options to the Toad it was still a better price.

Would you mind telling me the price? Does it include a VSIB cert?

And also let us know if you're happy with the quality of the Job.....:scholar: :scholar:

miller
31-12-2007, 05:06 PM
All his work comes with appropriate certs Keiran, he is also a wizz at replacement fobs etc at good prices.

Ill talk to him now see if he will sign up to the forum.

Mike

rees
31-12-2007, 07:01 PM
firstly that to miller for sahring that number

i rang the bloke as i live in alfreton a few miles away from mansfield and he said he'll look at it in the new year

in the mean time he suggested i install this cheap solution:inquisiti

uploaded/3550/1199124055.jpg

miller
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM

How did it go, all working?

Mike

Roberto
07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
As soon as I got the car, I got the Clifford with the remote start and turbo timer.

3 years later, I've needed, Valet switch and bonnet pin switch replaced, other than that it has been fault free.

Very happy with it.

HMG1K
07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm looking at revisiting getting a Clifford - following my earlier posting here I heard my alarm at the weekend and it doesn't sound as loud as the Clifford...

Also, is it just my Cobra fob, but even when you are standing next to the car it's hit or miss it arms / disarms with the first firm push of the button... My old Clifford you could do from a few meters away.

Throbbe
07-01-2008, 03:44 PM
How did it go, all working?

Mike

Couldn't do the full closure as there weren't the correct contacts on the window motors. Threw him a bit as he's seen them on other VR4's, but may be down to it being a facelift model.

Other than that, everything works as expected. Didn't stand over him, but from what I saw it looks a neat job, and certainly everything went back together OK (I spent years chasing squeaks and rattles around the dash of my Scirocco after a local firm installed an alarm for me).

£350 for a Toad Ai606 with dual zone sensor, which seems reasonable compared to a couple of other quotes, especialy allowing for a two hour journey at each end.

I even got a free gift, as he left a screwdriver on the drive ;) (I did offer to post it back, but he refused).

I'd certainly use him again, cheers for the number.

miller
31-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Spoke with him on saturday gone! He's liking the VR-4's more and more!

Good to know you would use him again!

Mike