PDA

View Full Version : VR4 auto hating 2nd to 3rd

unclepete
12-12-2007, 11:12 AM
My VR4 is a bit jerky changing from 2nd to 3rd. Not always but I think I now know instinctively take my foot off the throttle when it's changing between these two ratios.

I haven't had the car long so I'm not totally au fait with its history. I will inevitably change the ATF in the next few weeks but I was wondering if anyone has come across this and has a clue as to anything else it could be?

Thanks.

MPBVr4
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I think it does happen when the ATF is "bad". A good flush and AMSOIL seems to sort most of them out.

MPBVr4
12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
It can happen when the ATF is dirty or "cooked". A good flush and AMSOIL seems to sort most of them out.

serenity88
12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Just sounds like fluid to me. If you don't know anything on the history then Get the fluid chaged asap! make sure you do the torque convertor while your in there (no one ever does that )

ritch_w
12-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Amsoil it using Kierans "how to " guide

richy rich
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
As above ^^^^^

unclepete
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Great, thanks guys. I had the other one done according to Kieran's guide, which was great (4 weeks before the cambelt took out my engine).

Now I can try to smile...!

Nick Mann
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
It may just be a fluid level? The easiest thing to check first...

But as a sure fire way of making the box as good as it can be, amsoil it.

Also - if you are lifting between gear changes, then you could potentially be confusing the ecu. That is not the best way for it to help you smooth it over. It won't cause the problem, I don't think, but it won't help it either.

Davezj
12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah, Just sounds like fluid to me. If you don't know anything on the history then Get the fluid chaged asap! make sure you do the torque convertor while your in there (no one ever does that )

what do you mean be do the torque converter while you are there.

do what with it?
as far as i know it is a sealed unit between the engine and gear box. to do anything with it you have to split the gear box from the engine.

bradc
12-12-2007, 08:57 PM
change the atf, fill it up to the right amount and reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery leads.

serenity88
13-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Sorry my fopar, was refering to the transfer box (been spending the evenings striping my old trans out and it's been converting a few late night brain cells I think)

I opened mine up and could have just about fixed the leaks in my roof with the tar that came out of it! run of the mill garages never do it.

Davezj
13-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Sorry my fopar, was refering to the transfer box (been spending the evenings striping my old trans out and it's been converting a few late night brain cells I think)

I opened mine up and could have just about fixed the leaks in my roof with the tar that came out of it! run of the mill garages never do it.

I see,

yes the transfer box does get left, but it is a good one to do as it is so easy. what with the two massive nuts on it to change the oil, it just a case of getting the right grade of gear oil.

Ryan
13-12-2007, 09:11 PM
My car was jerky as hell - so bad that I could not get out of my driveway for about 10 minutes because the AT kept slipping.

It turns out that I was down 4.5L of ATF!!! After putting in 4.5L of TQ95 I was going again. I suspect I have a leaking torque converter as there is a small dribble of ATF when I switch off the ignition.

I'm having it seen to this weekend.

eonymc
14-12-2007, 02:46 AM
test drove car at scrappers today before taking box. due to a leek in rad ie was ****ed could not bring for propper spin tried do 2 to 3 was slow went to over 4000 rpm before changeing please god its only oil leavles or something. if this dose not work im sunk. was angest better judgement to take it but desperation to be reunited with my baby took over/pan