PDA

View Full Version : AYC- how to check if it works correctly

PLPynton
13-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi,
I have Type S, that is defenitely Type S, there is AYC ECU mounted on. I have a problem, there is no switch or whatsoever to control that system, futhermore the only thing I can see in combination meter is a small AYC lamp (just below RPM meter) but 3 green illuminated bars are never lighting. Is there anything wrong? Could you possibly tell me how to diagnose AYC, I mean if it works at all. btw. the car is facelift 98 legnum type s.

miller
13-12-2007, 11:26 PM
drive at say 30mph, clear road and swiflty swing the car left and right, the AYC should start to light up.

The button should be on your right hand side in panel below front fogs and marked TCL. This doesnt turn on or off your AYC just traction control i think.

Hope it helps

Mike

peter thomson
13-12-2007, 11:30 PM
The 3 green bars should illuminate and go off when the ignition is turned on and the AYC fault light should also appear and go off if there are no problems. testing is as Mike said above.

MPBVr4
13-12-2007, 11:31 PM
If you've got the red AYC light on you have a problem. The cure for this is usually very cheap and simple - a new pressure switch with slightly lower setting gets things working again thus extending the useful life of your pump.

Nick Mann
13-12-2007, 11:53 PM
As everyone has said above - when you turn on the ignition, ou should see all 3 green AYC bars light up and go out. You should also see a red AYC warning light come on and go out. The red AYC light should not come on again when driving.

If all the above hapens correctly, then find a tightish sweeping bend (or roundabout etc) and bury the throttle as you go round it. You should get green AYC bars light up.

Let us know where your progress stops and we'll try and diagnose your problem further.

Davezj
14-12-2007, 12:19 AM
if you are unsure of the system working at all then you can do a low speed AYC test.

do 10MPH on an open road and very quickly do a half turn of steering to left then right then left, and if you AYC is working it will flash up at least 2 bars on the green AYC bars under the rev counter.

But it is much, much, much more stisfying doing it the way Nick Mann said above.

hope this helps

Subaru ETA
14-12-2007, 09:06 AM
drive at say 30mph, clear road and swiflty swing the car left and right, the AYC should start to light up.

The button should be on your right hand side in panel below front fogs and marked TCL. This doesnt turn on or off your AYC just traction control i think.

Hope it helps

Mike

he has a facelift.. they dont have tcl do they?

PLPynton
14-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks a lot for such a proffesional and quick responses, I will inform you as soon as I do these tests. I think there must be something wrong. I have had already few VR4 of type S and there was, as you said, some kind of response above AYC lamp, just this unit is kind of lazy. I was thinking, that some kind of swich can be present... as you said, I will perform these tests. Actually I am mounting paddle shift into steering wheel and it renders the car uncapable of any testing, but I shall do it on monday. Btw. did anyone of you tried to install gear shifting into steering wheel, using just relays, you imagine- to force gear change electronically? Anyways that is what I am doing and I am not really sure how it's going to end.

bradc
15-12-2007, 06:15 AM
I know one or two people have done the paddle shift thing, but I don't think they are really active members. Couldn't even remeber their names.

Davezj
15-12-2007, 12:40 PM
i know it has been done but as brad says long time ago.

what i do remember is one guy used a play station paddle shift mechanisum direct from there play station steering wheel PS1.

this thread should help
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...t=paddle+shift

PLPynton
22-12-2007, 08:20 PM
OK,
after tests i can say that:
1. after ignition three AYC bar lights are lighting up for a short period of time, meanwhile the AYC warning lamp comes and goes out after a second as well.
2. when I performed the tests as you said everything works fine with AYC now
Assuming, I missconnected steering wheel sensor connector or something like that when dismounting steering wheel.
thanks four your help guys, this one works fine now.

bradc
22-12-2007, 09:49 PM
sounds like it is working absolutely perfectly.

peter alan cox
08-05-2008, 07:11 AM
can you tell me where the AYC switch is located, i think i might need to check mine as the red light stays on

bradc
08-05-2008, 07:27 AM
drivers side, behind the rear wheel well where the ayc pump is

peter alan cox
08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
thanks very much.i will look 4 it 2morrow, reading other threads, seems its a common thing, probably worth checking though, back tyres are a bit worn, so could be that 2, again thanks

pitslayer
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
or tyre pressures, incorrect tyre pressures also sends the ayc nuts

MarkSanne
08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
or tyre pressures, incorrect tyre pressures also sends the ayc nuts

Indeed, had that myself with my new Legnum which came with tirepressure of just 1 bar... When I drove it all 3 AYC green indicators came on. I started to worry a bit if there was something wrong with it. But after a bit of fresh air into the tires they didn't came on since (not having it officially registred, so almost not driving it).