PDA

View Full Version : 01/02 auto ecu

jpnvr4
15-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Is thereby a grim chance that someone on here has a 01/02 auto tranny ecu that they would like 22 get off there hands? I'm in need of one and I can't seem 2 find one anywhere

bradc
15-12-2007, 11:08 PM
any facelift will have the same ecu, so you could get anything from late 98 to 02

jpnvr4
16-12-2007, 03:01 PM
any facelift will have the same ecu, so you could get anything from late 98 to 02

That's thru apart from the mapping part ... I wanted that particular one for the change in mapping...
as I read it's a lil better than the one I have at this current time

Nick Mann
16-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not aware that the transmission ecu ever changed?

The facelift car with an auto box has slightly more power than the pre-facelift with an auto box, but not because of it's gearbox ecu. I don't think anyone has even proved that the engine ecu is different between the pre-facelift and facelift yet. Certainly, my facelift auto has had its ecu maps looked at and compared with a pre-facelift auto and there was no obvious difference.

bradc
16-12-2007, 08:29 PM
yeah the gearbox ecu is the same, I don't know what the difference is with the engine ecu, but lots of people have seen a performance increase with the facelift ecu.

jpnvr4
16-12-2007, 09:54 PM
well that's not really what I've gotten .... it's not just any facelift, that it's a 01/02 that gives power from a swap ...I don't know how 2 link it but it in vr4 pics forum under 1997 vs2002 ecu ..... or something like that

bradc
17-12-2007, 06:37 AM
the official spec was that prefacelift auto's had 260hp and facelift ones had 280hp.

The topic you're referring to is made by Kenneth and just simply shows his ecu which was from a 2002 car versus another VR-4 he owns. The cut over date was at the end of 1998.

Davezj
17-12-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm not aware that the transmission ecu ever changed?

The facelift car with an auto box has slightly more power than the pre-facelift with an auto box, but not because of it's gearbox ecu. I don't think anyone has even proved that the engine ecu is different between the pre-facelift and facelift yet. Certainly, my facelift auto has had its ecu maps looked at and compared with a pre-facelift auto and there was no obvious difference.

i would have thought nick and brad were correct. the auto box ECU would make no difference in engine power, only the pre facelift to facelift engine ECU could give you a power increase. but as nick says no body has actually proved what, if anything has changed, between the two ECU.

How ever i would have assumed something must have changed, i don't know what it is i am only guessing but it probabley some thing very small like this.
both ecu will have the auto and manual mappings giving the manual 280bhp and the auto 260bhp but the facelift one will point to the manual map for both vertions of the gear box, and not use the auto map at all. why make changes to code that is not needed when you can get the same result from swapping a flag.
as i say this just a guess but if they did any more than that the code writers need shooting. if it aint broke don't fix it, and think of all the time and money saved in verification testing, you would only have to validate the flag operation with and auto box.
if you looked at the mapping code of both ecu's they would look the same, it is only the selection code that changed, both auto and manual mappings would be visable in both ecu's but only the manual one would be used for facelifts.

i am thinking as i type now, and this seem to be a more probable senario.
i assume also that there must be some kind of sense line that tells the engine ECU what gear box you have. for example auto box has ecu manual box does not have ecu (assumption).
so if you have a pre facelift then you need to tell the engine ecu you have a manual gear box. not sure how but it might be possible. i don't know what kind of interface the engine ecu and auto box ecu have and how much they talk to each other, so if the engine ECU thinks it has an manual box stop the auto box ECU working correctly i am not sure.

what do you recon, i know there are some good minds working on ECU issues with our cars and i am not saying anything i have written here is fact just putting foorward some thoughts and ideas.

i konw it is a bit off topic but i thought it was worth rambling about.