PDA

View Full Version : v6 down pipes

scc
17-12-2007, 12:43 AM
I've been told that the whole exhaust pipe from the headers to the tail end is looking a bit rusty and has only months left before it falls off.

Has anyone tried fitting custom made pipes? And is there difference in power?

Cheers,
Scc

bradc
17-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Some people with FTO's have done that, but I don't know of anyone with a 2.5 v6 that has done that. I'd imagine that for a full exhaust you'd be up for at least 1000 pounds, thats a lot of work!

Kieran
17-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, also whilst I don't know for sure, I doubt you'd see a dramatic improvement in performance on an N/A car. In fact you could reduce back pressure too much and affect the engines scavenging abilities - No problem on a turbo where you've got a couple of hairdryers force-feeding everything, but could cause trouble on an N/A - Maybe?

HMG1K
17-12-2007, 10:43 AM
If you're getting a downpipe, go for a Mitsubishi part - and keep this in mind.

I had my downpipe replaced on my current 6th generation Galant a few years ago and opted to get a patten part from Nationwide Autocentres (not sure where they source their stock from) - anyway, there's a slight 'verrrrrr-ing' sound coming from the pipe at low acceleration. I took it back to them on three occasions and they say it's a "characteristic" of that pipe.

I've lived with the sound and isn't that bad - just annoying when I think about it and should have gone for a genuine part.