PDA

View Full Version : Horn button stuck in on steering wheel

valleyforge1
17-12-2007, 01:07 AM
As anyone got any idea how to remove the cover off a momo steering wheel as my horn button seems to be jammed in. The only way I can switch the horn off is to remove the fuse. Not a good thing I accept, but I do need to get to work. Welcome any advice. Cheers

I-S
17-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Ok... first thing I will say is that before you do ANYTHING with this, you disconnect the battery and leave it for 10 minutes. Do ALL work with the battery disconnected, and where possible (it is, I've done it), work looking through the windscreen to the steering wheel. Once you've got the airbag disconnected, then you are free to work how you like...

On the standard uk wheel (and I don't imagine that the momo is vastly different in this respect) there are two torx screws in the back plastic section. These undo (AFTER you've done the battery for at least 10 mins) and the front section (cover and airbag module) lifts away from the wheel - there's a yellow wire with a connector for the airbag module. Make sure this is done up and everything back in place before reconnecting the battery, otherwise your SRS light will come on and stay on. Look on the back for these screws.

valleyforge1
17-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok Isaac iam going to give this a try tomorrow in the light and ill post up a thread when ive done it. I asked a mate at work who as a Audi S4 and he said that the set up was pretty well the same in his car so hopefully?????????

Cheers once again Isaac

I-S
17-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm afraid I am going to have to add.... This is entirely at your own risk. I don't encourage you to do it, you make that decision yourself. (This is for liability purposes).

Fully
17-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I thought Momo dident have air bags in there steering wheels?

Also You need to isolate your battery terminals, wrap them in insolation tape (just the negative will be fine) Just that off chance that it falls back onto the battery terminal.

bradc
17-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Momo's do have airbags, otherwise mitsi wouldn't have been able to sell the cars.

valleyforge1
18-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah well this baby as and ive got a picture of the probelm but cant seem to up load it from "my pictures" for some reason. Like I said ill try it tomorrow and see what happens. My mate seems to know what he is doing.:thinking:

pitslayer
18-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Do ALL work with the battery disconnected, and where possible (it is, I've done it), work looking through the windscreen to the steering wheel.
most nerve racking time ever isnt it. replaced teh steering wheel on a fiesta, disconected the battery for 25 minutes sat infront of the wheel, and thought.....screw this, i aint being anywhere near this thing when i do it.... they have so much force in them you wouldnt believe, its like changing springs on your car.

yes i agree with isaac here, do this at your own risk. seeming to know, and knowing are completly different things. i know someone who seemingly knew how to change the springs on his car, and ended up with the top cup embeded in a door, the other end of a rather large workshop

Subaru ETA
18-12-2007, 06:16 AM
lol yeah everytime i piss arouind with airbags at work i always close my eyes when pluging things back in haha

Paul Beazer
18-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Nothing like having faith in your own work, eh dave?!

pitslayer
19-12-2007, 05:26 AM
my mate knows someone, who when they used to work for ford, back in the early days. they had a brand spanking new granada, top spec one, with the airbag light on, traced it to the drivers side airbag, and to fix it you have to detonate the airbag....so took the dash apart, put all the screws on the dash passenger side, wired the detonator up, closed the doors, fire the detonator. the air bag went off, but he wired the wrong one to the detonator, blew the passenger bag, and embeded all the screws for the dash in the headlining, only done 30miles on the clock /pan

Paul Beazer
19-12-2007, 10:03 PM
my mate knows someone, who when they used to work for ford, back in the early days. they had a brand spanking new granada, top spec one, with the airbag light on, traced it to the drivers side airbag, and to fix it you have to detonate the airbag....so took the dash apart, put all the screws on the dash passenger side, wired the detonator up, closed the doors, fire the detonator. the air bag went off, but he wired the wrong one to the detonator, blew the passenger bag, and embeded all the screws for the dash in the headlining, only done 30miles on the clock /pan
DOH!

pitslayer
19-12-2007, 10:15 PM
yeh.

apparently they make a hell of a bang when they go off, never heard one myself. when i pranged my golf, well it didnt have an airbag nor was it fast enough.
and the stupid french van the airbag didnt even go off, and i hit the wind screen aswell, so ive not had the whole experience of the air bag go off.....queue alan partridge moment /lol

valleyforge1
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Anybody got a momo steering wheel

I-S
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh dear, that doesn't sound good... what happened?

Paul Beazer
04-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Bang?

d i c k i e s
05-01-2008, 07:44 AM
big badaboom!