PDA

View Full Version : RAC,AA or other?

steve the pirate
17-12-2007, 09:03 PM
As I am new to this site I need help in which breakdown service to use?
any help would be greatful.
thanks

SGHOM
17-12-2007, 09:04 PM
ADAC. :pimp2: /rally

Spirit
17-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I get full AA cover with my bank account.........:pimp2:

Only used them once so far and was excellent service.

miller
17-12-2007, 09:18 PM
As above im with AA free through the Bank, called them out a couple of times and never a problem even though im blatantly on a freebie :scholar: :scholar:

Prob both are as good as each other, there is horror and good stories for each. Like its been said above, if ya think its terminal ie a removal make sure its a low loader.

Mike

WildCards
17-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Arr, thee AA be getting my vote too me hearty

Nick VR4
17-12-2007, 09:55 PM
RAC here and very impressed :D

Kieran
17-12-2007, 11:17 PM
I doubt that any of them know the VR-4. Nick's had to Use the AA and I think he was happy enough, and most importantly when the car needed recovering he informed them that it was a 4WD and so they sent a low loader.

To me, whoever you choose it's very important that if you need recovery to a garage they use a low loader so that all 4 wheels are off the ground - unless you like changing transfer boxes!

valleyforge1
18-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Iam with Green Flag but not had to use them yet for the Galant (Hmmmmm). I have used them twice in the passed ocne with my mini for a recovery and once when I had a caravan on the back of my Vauxhall Cavalier when it was nicked in Portmadog. When they recovered the car in Harlach the next day(bloody drunk going home) they towed the whole cat and cabodole back home.The recovery bloke even got me and the misses a brew from a road side cafe on the way back. Probably a one off but hey cant complain. 10/10.

Roadrunner
18-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Never had a car break down on me in over 35 years' driving :) If your car is well looked after and regularly serviced, I'd recommend saving your money and only paying up when, or IF, you need to. Both AA and RAC will happily come out to you on payment of a fee without you being a member.

That said, I got full UK and European breakdown and recovery cover through my insurance ... :)

Rikki
18-12-2007, 12:47 AM
I have been a member of RAC since I passed. Used only once on my bro's car. Service was lowsy to be honest, waited hours to get a tow truck. Cancelling my membership as I now get the same level of cover with my bank account. :happy:

Nick Mann
18-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I doubt that any of them know the VR-4. Nick's had to Use the AA and I think he was happy enough, and most importantly when the car needed recovering he informed them that it was a 4WD and so they sent a low loader.

Exactly right, except it was the RAC! /pan Have a look in my cars gallery...

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u=408

No complaints from me about them either.

unclepete
18-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I've tried others but always go back to the AA, and ring them - every call centre person can reduce their fees to get the sale without having to go to a manager (and that's when you're already a member too - I call them every year and get it around half price compared to what they say they'll take).

Green Flag were useless (for me at least) and RAC have crafty charges inbuilt. Bad attitude.

In short, AA. It's worth it (I used to own Renaults so I called them all the time!).

wirdy
18-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Just joined my Father with AutoAid. Their feedback is excellent.
When my RAC runs out I'll be going with AutoAid too.

Feedback -http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery?gclid=CKXP3L3OsZACFQSIlAodrgHPGA

As Brian says - most of us keep our cars well maintained so the recovery companies will always make money out of us, however, just for that piece of mind I think it's £36 well spent.:happy:

HJM
18-12-2007, 01:57 PM
As Derek said ...... ADAC

Much cheaper and better cover than any British equivalent :pimp2:

H

HJM
18-12-2007, 02:18 PM
however, just for that piece of mind I think it's £36 well spent.:happy:

I thought that sounded good so I got a quote for just me on the VR4 including annual European cover and it came out at £135 (an additional £30 because of the cars age).

ADAC is about 80 Euros for the both of us and covers us anywhere in Europe. We haven't personally used it in the UK (or anywhere) but I know people that have and it works!!

Has the added bonus for us that they will recover you from the Ring FOC in the event of an accident or breakdown - which is about 180 Euros, IIRC.

J

Kryton
27-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Thread from the past but thought it would be good to get people's current thoughts. I normally get this with my insurance but after a breakdown earlier in the year & the local firm sent couldn't physically recover my vehicle I thought I would check out the 3 big companies (aa, rac, green flag) but all seem to be circa £140 for top UK cover. Think that's a bit steep for a car that normally covers circa 1500 miles per year so any thoughts anyone?

elnevio
27-04-2013, 11:19 PM
ADAC is a good option, and although based in Germany, their cover includes all of Europe, including the UK. miller can vouch for them!

I still have cover through GEM (http://www.motoringassist.com/).

Cover for the two of us costs about £85 for the year, and that's everything except the hire car, so home start, onward transport, recovery to wherever. They do a cheaper version called Reclaim (about £20-25 less than the normal cover), which is exactly the same, except that you pay the recovery charges, etc, then claim them back from GEM.

Service-wise, I have used them twice, and had no problems whatsoever - once was a simple call-out and fix job, and the other was for the VR-4 and they sent a flat-bed out as requested.

wirdy
27-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Autoaid.
Wins hands down.
Been with them for last four years.
Four breakdowns. Super fast recovery each time. Cheque arrived in post within a week every time.
£39 per year for home start , rescue, recovery, onward travel, hotel if required.

/correction.....last 6 years!!

Kryton
28-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Cool cheers for the feedback peeps. Just been having a look through the comparison sites, has anyone tried these?

http://www.startrescue.co.uk/annual-breakdown-cover

Looks like they cover for accidents & also recovery nationwide to home address that most of the smaller ones don't. They seem to recover to destination, home or a garage, whichever is closer which would be no good for my needs really

Nick Mann
28-04-2013, 08:01 AM
With the rac the level of cover changes the rules on where you are recovered to. We get enough tesco vouchers to buy top rac cover at 25 percent of the cost. That makes it good value imo.

Evolved
28-04-2013, 08:08 AM
well i carry a toolbox in my car, so if i do breakdown i can fix it..

but ive never heard bad things about Green Flag

and ive had mates who have had issues with RAC..

but i can't speak from experience really as ive never used breakdown service.

SGHOM
28-04-2013, 08:24 AM
You can download the AA app for £4.99. then your roadside cover is free.....no subscription. Just a one off fee of £80 should you breakdown.

Evolved
28-04-2013, 09:01 AM
^ thats a great deal..

but what about those people without smart phones?

Wobble
28-04-2013, 10:04 AM
well i carry a toolbox in my car, so if i do breakdown i can fix it.

you must have one big tool box to be able to carry everything needed for a breakdown.

i have free rac cover with by Barclays premier account , only used it once and they had to send a private company out instead as they had no means to recoverer the car , didnt matter though as they still got me home for free and i fixed the car on the driveway .

Evolved
28-04-2013, 10:13 AM
you must have one big tool box to be able to carry everything needed for a breakdown..

just the essentials for minor breakdown.

if my diff falls off, i'll have to call someone lol

galantnight
28-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Me and my son are with GEM motoring assist and i have not used but my son has and they have been very good always seam to be voted the best by Auto express magazine and also have a very good free app.
BTW if i refer a friend i get a voucher/thankyou:thumbsup:

sonicsoundzdj
07-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I used AA for a short term holiday cover in france. Lucky as i broke down!
I was very impressed they sorted recovery to garage,a taxi to hire car place, a weeks hire car and parts and labour (up to around £500 i thimk it was) and it was fixed in time for my return jurney. If its not fixed in time they will fly you back out to collect it when its done, hotel included. They also had french speaking phone ops to help translate alone the way. Think it cost mw about £100 which isnt bad at all, it would have cost me more then that if i had taken it to a garahe her in uk

miller
07-05-2013, 05:15 PM
ADAC hate me!

Three years as a customer and here are the stats

Income from Customer = €80 x 3(yrs) = €240
Outgoing to Customer (Bongard) = €180 x 2recoverys = €360

Mark 4
07-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Nice one Mike, that's what I call value for money 1