PDA

View Full Version : Car tax issue...

RugbyPete
18-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Im buying a car, but it has not tax.

I cant tax it yet as i dont have the insurance cover note (in post), but I also cant leave the car once I've paid for it (its 70 miles away). the guy wont tax it as he's had issues in past with people driving uninsured and tax against his name.

The guy who's sold lots of cars said as long as I have the receipt that i just bought the car I am ok to drive home and if stopped can state I am taxing it the next day with a cover note.

I will do insurance over the phone instantly, MOT valid.

Does this sound right?

orionn2o
18-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I really dont see what this guys problem is in taxing it for you.

If you both fill out the correct forms, theres no reason why he should get any problems.

RugbyPete
18-12-2007, 01:43 PM
he wont give out the reg either unless he meets the person.
I wanted to get insurance and a note before i left

RugbyPete
18-12-2007, 02:09 PM
when i go down, i'll hang about far off, take the reg, ring the missus to do a reg check online and see if its stolen etc. first.

she'll give me the vin number, if this talleys up on the chasis it should be ok?

ritch_w
18-12-2007, 09:06 PM
when i go down, i'll hang about far off, take the reg, ring the missus to do a reg check online and see if its stolen etc. first.

she'll give me the vin number, if this talleys up on the chasis it should be ok?

whats the story with the car & seller - sounds a bit too defensive / dodgy.....

do not hand over any cash untill you have ran check against reg & VIN on the car.

please dont go for a £9.99 check either, make sure you go for a check that has appropriate cover if the vehicle turns out to stolen or cloned etc, it will cost more but worth it!

I had my car data checked before i bought it, it showed as all clean. CID impounded it a week later as part of an investigation involving the previous owner...(previous owner turned out to be a very naughty man). Luckily after their investigations my car came up clean and i got it back, otherwise i would have lost several £K and no comeback.....

White Lightning
18-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Do you know anyone with a trailer so that you can pick it up?

bernmc
18-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Load of bollox. And sounds very dodgy.

You cannot drive without tax, unless yo've just imported the car and are driving to the SVA or MOT.

If you drive without tax, your insurance is invalid. So you are driving without tax AND insurance, and will get done for both if you're caught.

Kieran
19-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I agree with Bern, Pete. Something's amiss here - Either the car or the seller is hiding something - Maybe both!

Proceed with Caution!