PDA

View Full Version : CV creator

Wodjno
18-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Has anyone got or can point me in the right direction for any software, program to create CV's.

Have tried no end of free downloads off the net ? But none seem to work.. Think it's summat to do with Vista operating system on new desktop pc..

Any help would be great :iloveyou:

PS b...

And i don't mean Joints :D

psbarham
18-12-2007, 09:31 PM
job hunting????????

i thought you liked your skive? oops i mean job:thinking:

Wodjno
18-12-2007, 09:33 PM
job hunting????????

i thought you liked your skive? oops i mean job:thinking:

Not me !!

100k a year will do me for now :D

psbarham
18-12-2007, 09:39 PM
100k a year will do me for now

pah, i wouldn't get out of bed for that :thinking:
oh hang on a minute, eer yes i would

I-S
18-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Hell, I'd get IN bed for that!

Nick VR4
18-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Have you tried doing one online not downloading software??

Do a search on google "online CV" brings up loads

Wodjno
18-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Have you tried doing one online not downloading software??

Do a search on google "online CV" brings up loads

Is this "Free" ?

Or does it cost money ??

Money bit tight at Mo :thinking:

Nick VR4
18-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Is this "Free" ?

Or does it cost money ??

Money bit tight at Mo :thinking:

Most look free I guess its search and see sorry

bernmc
18-12-2007, 09:56 PM
MS Word...?

Free: Openoffice...?

It is not the science of a rocket mmm...?

My Name Is WODJNO

Gis a job innit?

The end

unclepete
18-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Give me a shout if you want - pete AT staffhunt (DOT) org

Keep it simple though - don't use templates - they're crap.

First - contact details (please don't put your work email!)

profile - what you've done, what you've achieved, where you want to go, SUCCINCT!!!

Latest job (if your work experience is more important than your education, if not education first):

Dates, company, position, bullet points of what you have done and achieved if necessary.

Alll the way through to education - higher education, if none, school, grades probably not necessary if you're old enough to be able to insure a VR4.

Interests if you want...!

Keep it simple - it works - never write a story.

Hope that helps! I see too many of these things. Keywords, big time, if you're putting it on Monster (in fact, I've seen sections of CVs full of keywords so people can be found!!!).

Good luck,

Pete

stuartturbo
18-12-2007, 10:21 PM
This was aimed at agencies getting me job and the prefered lay out employers had compented on the CV/lol
try to get it on 2 page max
i managed to get the important stuff on the first page 1 liner for address etc and it seemed to work /lol

NAME
Address
Contact detail
Personal Profile
Key Skills
• bullet Points
Transferable Skills
• Again bullet point

Career History

Present first

Education
current First
Referees was told not to list either type
Personal

Previous Employer

unclepete
18-12-2007, 10:25 PM
From my experience, no one cares about the 2 page thing - I have seen some of 5 pages and over however, that's dire.

Good point Stuart about the referees - no need to list them until you need to - some shark recruiters will use you to get to your referees.

Nick Mann
18-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I have looked at a few cv's and 5 pages is rubbish. Bullet point to a max of 2 pages is good advice IMO. If that is not enough info for a future employer, then what kind of a job are you going for?

Sell your skills well enough to get an interview - that is where you will get or lose the job.

I-S
18-12-2007, 11:38 PM
If that is not enough info for a future employer, then what kind of a job are you going for?

Applications engineering perhaps?

Mine is up to 2.5 pages these days, and I already trimmed out stuff that was of less relevance now (eg work experience before uni, etc). Engineering is about substance, not style (ever seen a well dressed engineer?), and engineering managers understand that - they're very selective about who they interview, and VERY selective about who they hire. It's all about skills and knowledge and being able to put down detail.

Whereas if you are applying for an advertising executive job, you'd better be able to pull it off in a single page - it's part of the job skill.

So really rules like "keep it to 2 pages" depend on what it is you're applying for.

What you mustn't do is waffle and use filler. Unfortunately schools and universities tend to promote verbosity by setting word targets on assignments - most of which could be concisely stated in half the words (much like this post, in fact).

unclepete
19-12-2007, 12:14 AM
That's what I meant - 5 pages is too much - however I'm in oil and gas and when you have a 50+ year old, who has worked contract most of his life, then he might have had a new job, with great, different experiences every 3 months.

That's more than 2 pages. I'm just saying don't bulk it up otherwise people will not read it - ensure you bullet point or use gaps etc. - people get hung up with 2 pages and I've seen too many CVs none of want to read, which is all fitted into 2.

Mark 4
19-12-2007, 12:59 AM
IMHO Nick and UnclePete know what they are talking about. Simple and honest is far more likely to get you an interview than waffle or bluster.

Little Miss Road Rage
19-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I used the Focus CV Writer disc

http://www.focusmm.co.uk/shop/Teaching-you-CV-Writing-Skills-pr-1273.html