PDA

View Full Version : Good importers?

Seb
13-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Hello again. Was just wondering if there were any importers that people have used and could recommend? I know a few, but there are loads that I'm sure exist but are elusive even with the power of Google. And, most importantly, has anyone asked an importer to source and import a car fresh from the land of unreasonable fast family saloons? It's always seemed like an interesting prospect and one which might work out well. That is all :)

p.s. I'll be very surprised if there's no reply from you Brind :D

BraindG
13-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Well, i have to say Vehicle Buyers Japan INSERT INTO post VALUES (details in the dealers forum) state what you want, colour etc.. their other half is in japan, they go and source what you requested, send photos, and report back.. . then the descision is yours.

Seb
13-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks Brian, I'll check them out

Brind
13-05-2003, 11:13 PM
;)

Vehicle Buyers Japan.
Magnum Motors apparently can, I asked them a year ago when I was after one but didn't have the money, they said they can always get one..

Other than that, try searching for 'grey' importers INSERT INTO post VALUES (not as in company).

chris g
13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
I got mine thru Julian Allison

mr2-direct-imports.co.uk

excellent service - has sourced number of carts for mr2 enthusiasts and now branched out into other manufacturers

check out website

lots of details about import process

and cars on site ready to bring in from Japan

having heard other peoples experiences of a few other importers, I would recommend him highly

Seb
13-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks for that Chris. And Brind, what a surprise :) Apologies if my pm weirded you out or anything, I was bored and saw a friendly.. um.. face? Name? Yeah, that one. What's your other car, btw?

Brind
14-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Aston Martin Vanquish..;)

No, just a lowly Ford Sierra, there is an S13 Nissan 200SX hanging around here too.:)

I'm used to weirdos.:)

Seb
14-05-2003, 12:27 AM
Weirdo? Why I oughta... Also, notice I said 'car', not 'cars'. You could have left it at the sierra, but noooooo... well oooh la di da, Mr new shape VR-4 with mods and S13 and... um old Ford. That kinda makes it better... but stilll Grrrr etc... Nah, you're alright INSERT INTO post VALUES (in style of Flexo from Futurama)

Brind
14-05-2003, 12:36 AM
I like to brag you see..
I couldn't just leave it at the Sierra, I'd have nightmares.

Now un-twist your knickers and shuuutit. :wiggle:

Seb
14-05-2003, 12:47 AM
I assure you, my frillies are all neatly laid out, no twisting going on here :D And as for your wiggle, all I can say is :boing3: I think that says it all really. Did you VR-4 come with all mods in place, or did you add any yourself, and how much power do you think you're pushing out?

Brind
14-05-2003, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I bought the car with all the mods.

I honestly don't have a clue how much power it has, it's the newer model auto, so it had 276bhp as standard.
The filter is said to add about 13bhp and the exhaust about 15bhp, so I'd guess just over 300bhp, but I won't claim that until I find out for sure.
I know I must be loosing some power from the open filter sucking in warm air but I'm still on the hunt for ideas to perfect that problem.

There is a rolling road at Japfest, so I might have a look at that.

Seb
14-05-2003, 01:06 AM
I'm sure I saw someone INSERT INTO post VALUES (not with a VR-4, mind) either having, or talking about making some kind of under bonnet cold air box to fit around the air filter, with a direct link to the outside air via a tube in the style of the standard air filter plumbing. It may have been on a Supra, but I'm sure it's vaguley plausible for most cars.

Brind
14-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I've seen alot of different designs like that, the problem is, there isn't any room hardly to do anything..:INSERT INTO post VALUES (
It would be ideal though.

-LegnumVR4- moved his filter by extending it with polished ally tubing but he has the previous shape where you had more room at the front, plus he has a smaller battery.

Seb
14-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Sounds problematic. BTW, only just picked up your reply to my pm, I didn't set ti to email me when I got one, and here was me thinking that you'd been annoyed or summat. Hope you do find some kind of air box, as, after all, there's nothing like a good bit of box ;)

Brind
14-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Seb
as, after all, there's nothing like a good bit of box ;)
Very true. ;)

I'll always reply aswell, no matter how weird you are.:D ;)

Seb
14-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Seb
as, after all, there's nothing like a good bit of box ;)

Ah, reminds me of a certain 17 year old at work :) Me? Weird? Nah...