PDA

View Full Version : Increased NZ fines and demerits, Radar detectors to be banned

GroundControl
21-12-2007, 10:30 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10483863

Next year will see a three-tier demerit scheme of 25, 50 or 75 points - depending on the seriousness of offending - towards the 100-point threshold at which licences are suspended for three months.

Drivers also risk having their cars impounded for exceeding speed limits by more than 50 per cent, meaning 75km/h in urban areas, compared with 90km/h now.

Demerits will be higher for all speeding offences, but the toughest clampdown will be on drivers running red lights, who will be slugged with 75 points compared with 20 now.

Radar detectors will become illegal, attracting fines and demerit points on an escalating scale in a three-year, phase-out plan. Those using detectors will initially face $50 fines and 25 demerit points, rising to $150 fines and 75 demerit points in the third year.

Subaru ETA
21-12-2007, 10:55 PM
what a load of bull**** about the radar detectors!!!!!!

i got mine just for hobsonvile rd coz that should be a 80k area but its a 50 so you always find yourself creaping over the limit.

plus with all the open road driving i d it just there just incarse i creap over!

to tell you the truth, when ive hit the picks coz its gone off im only usually sittingat around 115k anyway....**** that makes me a bad driver ifeel so ashamed....

ANTHONY
22-12-2007, 12:04 AM
at least you only get banned for 3 months we get a year +

Ryan
22-12-2007, 10:57 AM
This is exceedingly gay.

I've never owned a radar detector nor do I ever intend buying one, not sure if that is the standard equipment used by NZ cops? I have seen one using a LASER but it was at night and maybe it was a radar one using a LASER sight to draw a bead on a target?

In South Africa you are allowed to own one but not use one. Pretty daft and near useless since most trapping there is done using LASER in my province.

They have these bastard things on top of bridges that get you from +/- 400m away - you can't see them well and when you do it's too late.

Oh take your plate off? No, these things can read your license tag on the windshield from that distance so either way you are boned + fine for not displaying a license plate. They started introducing those not long before I left.

Gly
22-12-2007, 11:26 AM
dont speed and its not a problem?!

Fully
22-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Put a cd on your dashboard, against the window :P
It scaters the lazer. :lol

Brunty
22-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Is there any theory behind making the radar detectors illegal?

Or is just a cynical attempt to criminalise folk who haven't been caught breaking the law? If so I reckon you'll be just like the UK in a few years - bad luck.

matt25649
22-12-2007, 07:05 PM
75km in a 50km = impound yard, so instead of having heaps of ppl owing fines it will be heaps of cars impounded. Bull**** change if you ask me

Robotnik123
22-12-2007, 09:11 PM
I have an old Bell detector, but I stopped mounting it a few years ago, because I noticed it wasn't detecting anything until you were right on top of the camera or speed trap. It used to be very good when I first bought it though, but either over time the cops increased their stealth technology or the detector's circuits degraded. Anyway, I was planning to pick up a new Valentine 1 or something like that when I could afford it.

Am, definitely against a radar detector ban! What will they take off us next? I think in the last 12 months or so, the govt. really has gone mad - what with the anti-smacking law, the electoral reform bill and other stuff, when for the previous 7yrs they basically did nothing! Why dammit?

bradc
22-12-2007, 09:47 PM
because helen clark is a b1tch and she should be shot

Ryan
22-12-2007, 10:12 PM
because helen clark is a b1tch and she should be shot

Give me one of these and I will take her whole entourage ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTW-20_Anti_Materiel_Rifle

or maybe this instead - glam rock style?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vektor_Y3_AGL

I'd need two other volunteers though :P

d i c k i e s
23-12-2007, 09:50 AM
im in the same boat as Robotnik123.

my radar is just damn useless. It doesnt pick up nothing till i can either see a cop car for myself. It beeps at stooopid things, so ive decided to unplug it and put it in the glovebox. (this was months ago)... plus this radar detector was given to me. :inquisiti

Ryan
23-12-2007, 09:55 AM
IMO radar detectors are a complete waste of time and money unless you have a consistently open road and a Ferrari F 40...

Little Miss Road Rage
23-12-2007, 10:15 AM
U can use a radar detector here but if u have a radar diffuser they can take your car away and the fine's up to £3000 hence I never used mine. Didn't even fit it once i found out cause I loved my car too much

Robotnik123
23-12-2007, 09:17 PM
im in the same boat as Robotnik123.

my radar is just damn useless. It doesnt pick up nothing till i can either see a cop car for myself. It beeps at stooopid things, so ive decided to unplug it and put it in the glovebox. (this was months ago)... plus this radar detector was given to me. :inquisiti
/rally
It isn't a Uniden one is it? I've heard those are next to useless and give far too many false alarms.

d i c k i e s
23-12-2007, 11:29 PM
yup i think it is a uniden. its just krap... lol
its ol skool lookin, so i think it is out of date. police must have better technology now?

Subaru ETA
24-12-2007, 07:58 AM
my valentine is great! problem is cops flick there radars on and off now usually instead of leaving it on.

i dont usually speed tho so yea....just seems on the occasions when i do i get done!

TRACK DAY PEOPLE!