PDA

View Full Version : Emission figures problems...

GalantOnly
24-12-2007, 04:28 PM
CO________________0,3 (passed)
CO 2500____________0,2 (passed)
HC________________183 (failed - max 100)
Lambda____________1,16 (failed - between 0,97 and 1,03)

The car was standing with engine shut for almost an hour, then drove around the block for brake test for about a minute, and than got emission tested right away... Is this possible that a cold cat could give these results?

The next thing, car didn't passed is noise level... :inquisiti ...in spite of standard exhaust...
Not sure if it's there, but could a little gasket problem right AFTER the cat give those emission readings?

And last thing my car failed on is too wide fuel filler hole!!!... So too wide holes apparently is not only the women’s problem... :inquisiti

PS: HC figure... They don't actually measure it, do they? Just calculating?

Nutter_John
24-12-2007, 04:52 PM
yep quite common , they need to drive it like you've stolen it for about 15 minutes before the test , then as soon as your in the garage do the emissions test str8 away

bradc
25-12-2007, 05:39 AM
exactly what John said, your car was cold for some time before hand, so thats where the problem was.

Subaru ETA
25-12-2007, 09:39 AM
yup you are always gonna get **** house HC and lambda readings at cold! the thing is runnig rich so take it backand tell them to do there damn job properly

GalantOnly
25-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Damn... And I just sited there in the line for a hour.../pan could just idle the thing in the meantime.../pan

But it's kinda damn tricky to drive it like it stolen while waiting in the line for your turn...:inquisiti

Dumb Q: Just got an Innovative LC-1 with XD-16 in X-mas present... I'm not sure exactly what it can manage, but... is it able to alter HC & Lambda readings?

jerryd_33
01-01-2008, 09:21 PM
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fit the thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check your fuel pressure if you have a adjustable type regulator, then lower it with vaccum disconnected and re-connect vaccum.

I fitted a Universal o2 probe and lowered my cars fuel pressure in the same way and it passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This also made a HUGE!!! difference to economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/rally /rally /rally :scholar: :scholar: :speechles

Kieran
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fit the thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check your fuel pressure if you have a adjustable type regulator, then lower it with vaccum disconnected and re-connect vaccum.

I fitted a Universal o2 probe and lowered my cars fuel pressure in the same way and it passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This also made a HUGE!!! difference to economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/rally /rally /rally :scholar: :scholar: :speechles

What do your AFRs look like on boost?:inquisiti

psbarham
01-01-2008, 09:36 PM
What do your AFRs look like on boost?:inquisiti
leaner than kate moss on an all celery diet

bernmc
02-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Better get a spare set of pistons at the same time then...

GalantOnly
15-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Second test... ONLY lambda was changed since first MOT...

This is unbelievable.../JawDroppi

CO________________0,1
CO 2500___________ 0,0
HC________________033
Lambda___________ 1,00

Old lambda results:
CO________________0,3
CO 2500___________ 0,2
HC_______________ 183
Lambda___________ 1,16

And by the way...the cat wasn't REALLY hot this time either (but still hotter than last time)...

/woot2

orionn2o
15-02-2008, 01:47 PM
How how how are you getting figures so good!!

Without getting the cat really hot??

Your car must burn so cleanly...

GalantOnly
18-02-2008, 12:00 AM
How how how are you getting figures so good!!

Without getting the cat really hot??

Your car must burn so cleanly...

I think that a "really hot cat" and just "hot cat" makes very tiny difference, not much to worry about as long as it's not a cold or dead cat (like yours, I guess...:skull:...)

Did you fix your MOT problem?

phosty
18-02-2008, 04:42 PM

How would changing the FPR pressure affect closed loop readings? Surely the ECU would just trim the injectors to acheive the programmed AFR using the O2 sensor?

GalantOnly - going off the title of your post #10 above, I take it you had fitted the LC1 before the second test?

Had you modified the closed loop O2 signal output as I believe is possible with those wideband units or left it at standard?

I'm apprehensive of my 1st MOT on my new VR4 on Wednesday so any tips would be useful.

phosty
18-02-2008, 04:49 PM
How would changing the FPR pressure affect closed loop readings? Surely the ECU would just trim the injectors to acheive the programmed AFR using the O2 sensor?

Ahh - just read this post:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=308952&postcount=26

So it should trim it back, but there may be other factors at work....

Still, was it the LC1 that cured your issues GalantOnly?

GalantOnly
18-02-2008, 09:56 PM

GalantOnly - going off the title of your post #10 above, I take it you had fitted the LC1 before the second test?

Had you modified the closed loop O2 signal output as I believe is possible with those wideband units or left it at standard?

I'm apprehensive of my 1st MOT on my new VR4 on Wednesday so any tips would be useful.

Yes yes yes... The only difference between first and second MOT is LC-1... And I did absolutely nothing to it - just default setup. XD-16 was showing AFR 14.5-14.7 from the very begining, so why alter the perfect reading?

By the way... Another thing before 2.MOT... Replaced K&N panel with old, dirty(!) OEM filter, which was in the car when I bought it... Don't know why I did that.../pan And I really don't know if things like that makes any emission difference /pan ... Guess not...:inquisiti

phosty
21-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Hmmn, I took the new Legnum for it's first MOT yesterday.

Good news is that all my bodged wiring modifications to the loom to frig the rear tailgate brake lights as fog lights worked a treat.

Bad news is it failed miserably on emissions. So bad the guy questioned if it had a Cat fitted!

Natural Idle:

CO: 2.64% (Pass mark < 0.3%) - Fail

Fast Idle:

CO: 2.88% (Pass mark <0.3%) - Fail
HC: 182ppm (Pass mark < 200ppm) - Just pass!
Lambda: 0.94 (Pass mark 0.97 - 1.03) - Fail

2nd Fast Idle:

CO: 1.92% (Pass mark <0.3%)
HC: 167ppm (Pass mark < 200ppm) - Pass
Lambda: 0.96 (Pass mark 0.97 - 1.03) - Fail

After the first test they took it for a spin around the block to get the Cat nice and hot (I had warned them about the possibility before the test). They suggested it looks like the O2 sensor needs replacing. Looking at the figures for Lambda and CO it does seem to be running rich.

Interesting prices for O2 sensors:

Mitsubishi (Narrowband) - £195 + VAT = £229.13
Innovate LC1 (+G3 gauge) = £186 delivered next day (EFI solutions, eBay)
PLX SM-AFR (+52mm Gauge) = £151 delivered 3-5 days (from the US via EDO Performance UK).

I think I'll go for the LC1 though - as far as I could make out from the PLX website you can't connect the SM-AFR to a laptop directly to get readings - you have to use their addtional datalogger. Also the LC1 offers the narrowband output tweak which so far as I can see the PLX doesn't (and I may need it to pass the MOT).

orionn2o
21-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I think that a "really hot cat" and just "hot cat" makes very tiny difference, not much to worry about as long as it's not a cold or dead cat (like yours, I guess...:skull:...)

Did you fix your MOT problem?

Possibly but im surprised...

perhaps my cat is dead... oh well... guess it can come back out then!