PDA

View Full Version : hi people...help!!!

ruffnek
26-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Ive just today discovered the vr4 thru my mate who researches the net for anything any everything. His mate had a few big engine motors Jeep Chorokee, Audi A4 V8 (cant remember), Mondeo V6 - now hes on to a p reg Mitsi lancer evo moded to 330bhp. Just before he purchased the evo he got his hands on a Galant VR4 estate. The VR4 he got had a dodgy tiptronic box which kept dropping into neutral -so he got rid and moved on to the lancer evo.

Now please forgive me for not being up to speed with the specs etc but this car seems to offer everthing i would desire size and space, comfort but with the power of a rally car!

This motor seems to be a good value option for performance and practicality.

Obviously the running costs are high but is it worth it? To have rally car performance with family needs?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

bradc
26-12-2007, 12:52 AM
They are very good and very quick cars, but the auto transmissions can cause problems.

Overall they are about the best compromise out there for performance versus space, apart from maybe an RS6 Avant :)

Nikola
26-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi,

Ive bought a VR4 and we have a family. Yes the running costs are high but its well worth it. My VR4 is the best car Ive ever owned.

Nick Mann
26-12-2007, 10:07 AM
They are good cars, and relatively reliable (even the gearbox) if serviced lovingly. And as you have already worked out, the estate has an incredible combination of uses - track car/load lugger/comfortable cruiser/acceleration beast etc.... It is certainly the reason I love mine!

Not many on here will say that the running costs aren't worth it, most of us are a bit biased!! Search around on this site, for insurance and fuel consumption and you will get an idea of some costs. I would guess that the running costs are similar to that of an evo, even though the car is not as raw.

As brad says, Audi mke a couple of competitors, but have a look at the price of one.

bradc
26-12-2007, 10:37 AM
The RS6 V10 twin turbo isn't really a competitor, it's in a whole other league!

Ryan
26-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I couldn't agree more with the comments here. I've had my car nearly a year and yes, the running costs may be high but then again it is a fairly sophisticated piece of machinery so they are to be expected.

It is also the best car I've ever owned and cannot think of anything within my price range that could replace it.

Ryan
26-12-2007, 10:10 PM
The RS6 V10 twin turbo isn't really a competitor, it's in a whole other league!

With more than double the output of a stock facelift VR-4 it's firmly in supercar territory.

If the running costs are high on our cars, I shudder to think what they would be like maintaining one of these things.

Nick Mann
27-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't think I quoted a twin turbo V10 as a competitor? And before running one, Ingletor, try buying one of the blighters!! :P

Ryan
27-12-2007, 10:51 PM
doube post!! URRGH

Ryan
27-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Heheh, I've never even seen one in real life yet... one of the bosses has a (C5) RS6 which I wouldn't mind hijacking, I might be able to run that out of fuel but that's about it... :thinking