PDA

View Full Version : Is it a man or an auto?!!

hi flyer
27-12-2007, 10:47 PM
My vr4 has developed a wee problem.:thinking: Its a manuel but its starting to feel like an auto. Between 3 and 4 thousand revs under firm acceleration it revs twice as fast but there isn't the acceleration there until about 4 thousand revs. Then it feels like it changes down kinda like an auto. It doesn't always do it.

Thought it might be the clutch maybe but it feels fine otherwise. Any way to test this myself? :scholar:

Any thoughts of what this might be, would be greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome!!! :iloveyou:
Thanks in advance.

Kenneth
27-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Thats the clutch.

fairly fortunate really, it seems the VR-4 gives plenty of warning before the clutch gives up compleatly

Kieran
27-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah, that's the clutch starting to slip. It'll get progressively worse so don't wait too long before sorting it.:scholar:

hi flyer
27-12-2007, 11:25 PM
ok great thanks guys! :iloveyou:
Not exactly what i wanted for christmas /Grrr
Should i look for a new replacement or one from a wrecked car? Or would this be a good oppitunity to upgrade?:inquisiti

Kenneth
27-12-2007, 11:37 PM
ok great thanks guys! :iloveyou:
Not exactly what i wanted for christmas /Grrr
Should i look for a new replacement or one from a wrecked car? Or would this be a good oppitunity to upgrade?:inquisiti

Depends on what you want out of the car... If you are going to modify it for power, then look at an upgrade. Otherwise if you don't thrash it the standard clutch is very friendly.

A simple upgrade that has been recommended is getting a standard friction plate with a heavier spring. This allows it to hold more power but without loosing much in the way of drivibility.

If you can afford a new clutch, get one. If you get one out of a wrecked car you have the possibility that the gearbox was hung off the clutch on removal, this could mean a distorted friction plate which will end up in abnormal and premature wear.
This isn't guaranteed, but it is a risk nonetheless

Mark 4
27-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Ken and Kieran to the rescue - Yet again.

DickBarton
28-12-2007, 12:06 AM
The VR4 I have has an uprated clutch - but I'm not convinced it is set up properly...apparently the standard clutch only just handles the power of the standard VR4 so if you play with the boost the power increases and the standard clutch can cause problems... (of course I know absolutely nothing about clutches so could be talking well and truly out my @rse! Scott if you are reading this, I'm not having a dig at you, more my own thoughts)

The clutch I have is intended for quarter-mile drags and the like, plus it has a lighter weight freewheel so it picks up quicker...which is great if you are already moving but a bit of a pain when trying to pull off from a stationery start. Also a real royal pain in the @ss when in traffic as it really doesn't like the stop-start motion and after 2 attempts you suddenly start hearing this real nasty rumble noise...almost like the car is about to die...

The car is due it's fluid change and the mechanic will be looking at the lower suspension arms, I'll ask him to also look at the gearbox to make sure there isn't anything loose or failing in/on it and it is just my p!ss-poor driving that is making it sounds as bad as it does...

Anyway, doesn't really help you out but if you are running normal power then a standard clutch would be fine (going by what I have been told and my complete lack of knowledge on this sort of thing)...if you want to add power then I'd suggest an upgrade of clutch...

hi flyer
28-12-2007, 12:59 AM
The VR4 I have has an uprated clutch - but I'm not convinced it is set up properly...apparently the standard clutch only just handles the power of the standard VR4 so if you play with the boost the power increases and the standard clutch can cause problems...

Thanks for your help.
I have already got a boost controller installed so you can see my intentions are for more power.:afro:
At this stage i think i might as well head for a heavy duty clutch. One of those while your at it, jobbies.

ianturbo
28-12-2007, 01:17 AM
i have a (fast road clutch in my other car) 24v capri ,its a bit of a wa#%$r to drive smooth so if you want a nice getaway i'd go for standard clutch :inquisiti
ian

bradc
28-12-2007, 05:12 AM
yep, the clutch is on it's way out.

You can get a standard replacement one, but a much better option is the Exedy Heavy Duty clutch which is just as easy to use as the stock one, but much better on hard launches.

Subaru ETA
28-12-2007, 09:46 AM
to get a bit more life out of it over christman break this is what to do....
jack the front up and in the bell housing there is an inspection grommet thing - remove it.

now with the car runnig get a air blower and blow the living crap out of inside the bellhousing (wearing a mask is advised!!!)

now get someone to pump the clutch as you do it.

keep doing it until no more dust comes out.

i did this to mine and it lasted for a year - it was still ok wen i changed it but just got sick of blowing it out!!