PDA

View Full Version : Antenna not working...

slaine
28-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi there, good afternoon.

Well, I changed the original radio in my car, and installed a Sony one, but now the antenna doesnt come out, at all, and I tried to take it out and by force and couldnt :speechles
It's no big deal, but the radio coverage is almost nothing now, I can't listen almost anything if I go a tiny bit outside the city...
Also, if I can get it out, any other antenna I could buy to replace this one? one of those that stay out the whole time :D thanks for the info :)

P.S.: my antenna is on the drivers back side, is not roof mounted, which I'd like to have but dont know how to do :inquisiti

Nick VR4
28-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Did you actually fix the Ariel into the new radio ??

Other than that sounds like the radio you fitted did not have that feature included at a guess or you have missed some wiring

slaine
28-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi there, good night.

Yes I did fit the ariel thing, in fact I just basically took the radio that was already in the car out and put mine in, connecting the same exact cables than before :speechles
What can I do now then? any possible solution? thanks for the info :)

Kieran
28-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Does your new headunit have a trigger cable connection to activate the electric aerial? It's not the aerial connector itself, it's a wire on the main ISO connector block.

Also, what was the original radio and what is the replacement?

g6acb
29-12-2007, 01:57 AM
If you have an 01 car, with the originally fitted vdo head unit, then by a quirk of coincidence it might tie in withe the last few posts here?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=297788#post297788

if so get hold of a 98 on iso connector and all may be merry???

HMG1K
29-12-2007, 02:12 AM
If you have an 01 car, with the originally fitted vdo head unit, then by a quirk of coincidence it might tie in withe the last few posts here?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=297788#post297788

if so get hold of a 98 on iso connector and all may be merry???

Good thinking! I went down to Halfords - bloke there gave it the once over, was stumped till I suggested trying a new ISO connector back to the Japanese wiring, he brought one out to the car, fitted it, we touched the earth to the stereo cage and memory problem solved! This may solve your ariel hassle.

slaine
31-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Many thanks for the info, I'll try that, I'll buy a new ISO connector and see what happens, will post results here :)

slaine
05-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi there, good night.

Well, I bought today a new connector for my stereo, to try and test if that would help, but it didnt, not much...
It was exactly the same connector than the one that was in the car already, same color code in the cables and order, everything the same...
There are 2 things to plug in the back of the stereo, one is the antenna cable, and the other is the black plastic connector that is made of 2 small ones on its own, I hope I can explain it properly...

The thing is, the stereo is out, unplugged and disconnected from any cable, then I first connected the antenna´s cable to the back of the stereo, on the right, and the antenna came out completely without any problems, happiness :happy:

But, I connected then the other part, the black connector to the back ot the stereo, on the left, and the damn antenna retracted itself and didnt come out at all, unless I do the same process again... /Hmmm

I dont know what to do, but I´d really like to have the possibility of using the antenna when needed, I like to hear the radio more than the CD in the stereo, and without the antenna out is impossible in most areas when travelling... /help
If anyone has any ideas I could try to make this work, I´d appreciate it /thankyou

P.S.: I tried the new connector I bought and had the same exact result than I had with the one already in the car...

hi flyer
06-01-2008, 01:46 PM
All i can think of is to plug the antenna cable in and then connect the other wires individually to see which one retracts the aerial.
Does the antenna go back down when only the antenna cable is plugged in and the power off? Sounds to me like one of the wires is connected to the wrong thing.

Roberto
06-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Just a thought, but most Sony head units only send the antenna output signal when the radio is turned on to the tuner part.

If you just turn on the radio to a CD or other input the antenna will not rise.

Might be woth a try now.

Also make sure the stereo is grounded properly, so times it is not grounded by the wiring harness.

Nick Mann
06-01-2008, 02:41 PM
It sounds like the trigger signal to the aerial is being interrupted when you connect the black connector. What is the black connector? Is it the aerial connection itself? If so, you may have bad wiring somewhere, as that should not be linked to the trigger signal on the radio.

slaine
06-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi there, and good night.

Well, in the end I sorted it out, I'm haaaaappy now :happy:
From the connector coming from the car to be connected to the stereo, there was a single cable connected to a white plastic head, I unplugged it and now all is fine, weird.... /Hmmm
The important bit is that now the antenna comes out and retracts when I want/need it, nice.
Thanks to u all for the info, ideas, and help, greatly appreciated /thankyou