PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Batteries please...

DickBarton
28-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I have a very small battery in my engine bay - certainly not standard issue...it looks to be about half size compared to some I've seen but has a rating of 12V40Ah330A (or it may be 12V35Ah330A)...anyway, when I start the car, it takes about 2-3 seconds of the ignition being turned on before it kicks into life...I suspect the battery isn't quite powerful enough to start it as soon as you turn the ignition - I've seen footage on YouTube and UnclePete's VR4's and they all seem to start as soon as you turn the key.

I'm looking for a new battery and looking at the Auto Express write up it seems either Halfords Advanced or an Exide Xtra + would be the ones to go for...but I'm not sure.

Apart from the standard plugs on the battery, I have a fuel regulator and the boost, oil pressure and air flow gauges plus a boost controller to power on start up...any recommendations...if I can't get a battery the same size, I don't care, but I'd like one with a bit of a kick to it to make sure the car is getting enough juice to start and run...also I'm not sure if there is meant to be a floor pack for the battery to sit on, but mine is a half-size so a full size one I'm guessing may need a footpack or something to sit on???

Cheers.

Nick VR4
28-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you have the Jap battery very small

I got a new one last year Exide X-tra 75Ah 630A I have a plastic tray shield as per normal

DickBarton
28-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I think my plastic tray shield has been removed - is there anything I can do to replace it? I mean, can you buy them as spares?

DickBarton
28-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Any idea where I can buy an Exide Xtra + battery from? I've checked the website and can't seem to find any details on stockists, I've also checked Halfords website and can't seem to find the Battery section!

My existing battery has dimensions of approx. 190 x 170 x 190, so I think either the Exide XP03 or XP01 (slightly taller but has more bang with it) would do...but I'm not sure what the connectors, Terminal Type, Terminal Layout and Container Type mean...anyone able to help please?

Info is on page 4 of this PDF (http://global.exide.com/exideGlobalWeb/pdf/tr/gb/Exide_X-tra_4p%202006%20e.pdf)

Thanks.

psbarham
28-12-2007, 11:43 PM
i seem to recall mitsubishi genuine batterys were about half the price of halfrauds and kwik fit so your local stealer may be worth a shot

Davezj
28-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Red to and yellow top optima batteries are supposed to be very good, but they are very expensive.

I had a jap battery in mine when i first got it and had exactly the same problems as you. so i got the biggest (amps) battery that would physically fit in the egine bay.
Here is a word of warning the red/black terminals are round the oposite way to the standard battery and the cable will not reach. so you will have to look at the battery catalogue to see what you need to order as they probably will not have the right one on the shelf.

Johnny_Cashed
28-12-2007, 11:59 PM
My battery recently died (I think it was still on the 4.5yr old original), I put in a 570amp sealed battery from Halfrauds as it was the quickest alternative to get it working again. I really noticed the difference though - sounds like someones slipped the starter motor some amphetamines! Starts a lot quicker now too, the battery must have been on it's last legs for ages.

I read the autoexpress review, didn't it conclude that there wasn't much difference between halfords super duper battery and the standard one?

CANDEE
29-12-2007, 12:07 AM
The red and yellow top optimas are quite nice :) I think my yellow is 770CCAish :) But only are really worth the extra if you have a big stereo or a relocating the battery IMO.

For the leggie and galants you will need a minimum of a 525CCA battery, hope this helps :)

Davezj
29-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I think when i looked the optimas were going for about £150.

I got mine for £70 can't remember what make, but i have left my lights on full all day got back in the car8-9 hours later and starts first time with no dodgy low speed cranking, just started, i was pleased.

CANDEE
29-12-2007, 02:11 AM
The optimas are great for draining the battery and still having crank power :P

The new ones are going for about 699NZD /Grrr

Fully
29-12-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm running a YUASA 95D31R 19 Plate Car Battery - 80AH/680CCA, works a treat :D

bradc
29-12-2007, 05:28 AM
I've got a pair of 680CCA batteries in the BMW, it really cranks over quite nicely now :)

Nick VR4
29-12-2007, 02:05 PM
My Battery posts were the wrong way round but a gentle pull the wires did reach

DickBarton
29-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Got one from Halfords as no-one else seemed to have anything that would do the job...kicks out 520Amps so is an immediate difference in the car...but I suspect the starter motor has suffered a bit from having to work extra hard to start the car since the small battery went in...however, it certainly starts better now.

I fluffed the terminal up connecting the new battery but a trip to Halfords got me a new terminal connector and everything is sorted...I just need to get it held in place now...in the meantime I have 1inch thick foam resting on the top of the battery that sits hard against the bonnet so the battery isn't moving...put the foam in to make sure there was no metal to metal contact between battery and bonnet.

Seems to be working much better now...and after my air con recharge (£35 from Kwik Fit) the heating is working perfectly again!!! Had to top the system up as it was down to 50% capacity...had a good laugh as the workers fought over who got to take the car out from the ramps to park it...an older guy won and reversed it out...rather than straight into a space he backed it up to take a run the length of the garage bays...I sat and watched waiting for the inevitable and sure enough it did...he revved it a bit and dropped the clutch and I watched it kangaroo for the length of the garage...he quickly reversed it and parked it up looking rather sheepish!!!

stuartturbo
29-12-2007, 08:42 PM
learn all about batteries here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8n2Qgguto

Kieran
30-12-2007, 03:36 AM
learn all about batteries here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8n2Qgguto

/lol /lol

LAME!!