PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone at Club VR4!

RAVEN
02-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi. I'm Raven from Rochdale in England. Anyone who doesn't know where Rochdale is, it's very close to Manchester. I own a 1998 Galant 2.5 24v V6 in blue.

I hope I'll be welcome here along with all you VR4 guys. Can't quite afford one of them yet! ;)

Anyway. Quite happy with what I have. Had the car now for 2 weeks and I am very happy with it.

Car is pretty standard at the moment which I'll be changing soon. Namely a set of 18's and a much needed lowering of suspension. After that, we'll see.

Very nice looking site you have here. Love the blue colour. Makes a change to the usual style forums I've seen.

As I say I hope I'm welcome here, and look forward to a long future with you all.

Say ... do you have regular meets in the UK during the year at the big car shows? Namely Trax, Billing and the like?

The pictures are as my car looks now ... Then how I'm hoping it will look once I've got rid of those horrid wheels above and replaced them with these 18" Dare X1's and lowered the suspension. Looks miles better don't you think? ...

Cheers.

SGHOM
02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
welcome to the party Raven !! :-D :welcome: yes we do have regular meets, & you're more than welcome !! check out the 'events' threads for meetings etc.
swindon on the 15th, is the next meet. A bit far I know, but it was the only way we could get the southerners, to get off their backsides !! :lipsrseal :lipsrseal :$ :$

/ runs for cover !!

RAVEN
02-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I can't get the pictures to post up properly for some reason ...

SGHOM
02-02-2004, 07:21 PM
the whole site crashed recently, so I dont think anyone can get any pics up !! I know I cant ???

Spirit
02-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Welcome Raven. Of course we are pleased to have many more non-VR4 members.....we have a growing community of them on here. I am sure by the end of tonight one or two will have introduced themselves (cue Kieran, Ian etc).

Many would recommend 17" wheels instead of 18's, but take a look in the Wheels/Tyres section for more comments/info.

As Derek said, we do have regular meets so check out the Events section. We only formed CVR4 last April and we attended Japfest, JAE, Santa Pod etc as a club last year.

A must if you can make it is Japfest this year, on 22nd May at Castle Combe in Wiltshire - long way to come but worth it.

Have a great time here, and don't forget to join up as a full member - only £15 ;)

Spirit
02-02-2004, 07:27 PM
I can't get the pictures to post up properly for some reason ...

Don't forget the max file size is currently 39.1kb for pics - or you can link directly to a website showing the pics using the "Hyperlink" button.

Kieran
02-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Welcome to Club VR-4 Raven. As Pete's already said, there's a growing community of non-VR4 peeps on here (like myself, with full-strength GLS Power :devil5: ) so pull up a chair, grab yourself a beer and make yourself at home :-D

Nice looking car you have there. I would advise against 18" wheels though. I think you'll find the ride a bit too uncomfortable, bearing in mind that the UK models fitted with 17s run on 45 profile tyres, which is pushing things I think - but that's up to you :)

You're right about suspension. It's high and bouncy - There's several places us non-vr4 peeps have found, so check out the Non-VR4 chat section for details. Scottish Ian (who I'm sure will be posting here soon!) is running on 17s with -40mm Eibach springs and standard shocks. For replacement shocks, Koni have applications in both their Special(red) and Sport(yellow) shock absorber lines. The partnumber is 8040-1233 & 8040-1234 for front and rear respectively (Sport shocks are the same number with 'Sport' on the end).

And one final thing. Are those 15s in good condition? As the GLS comes with 14s(!!!) as standard, so they'd be a nice interim upgrade for me, if you're interested. :-b

Kieran

RAVEN
03-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Kieran - Hi mate. My current 15's are a little 'kurbed' shall we say. Not that good looking at all mate. Nice looking car judging by your Avator by the way.

What I'm intending to do is get 18" wheels and not 17's as I think 17's would look too small for the car. The car looks huge from the side and the car will just swallow them up. I had 17's on my mk4 Astra before I got my Galant, and I thought they looked small on that car ... and that car is tiny in comparison to the Galant.

I did originally want to go for 19's but since changed my mind as I don't intend to fit a body kit to the car and the 19's would look too big for a standard looking car. 18's would suit my car for that purpose.

You can buy 18" wheels these day with 215-35 tyres, or even a little larger at 215-40. I intend to go for the latter. These tyres are designed for cars that originally had problems fitting bigger wheels. 45 or larger profile tyres are preposterous and I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot barge pole. You're heading for a great deal of problems with tyres that size.

My cousin had a Galant just like mine but in a different colour which had 19's on with 215-35 tyres, and he told me he had no problems at all with them. He doesn't have it any longer unfortunately. He now owns a Supra. Gorgeous it is too!

I intend to drop the car 60mm all round as the current suspension is well too high. 40mm will not be enough.

I think 60mm drop with 18" alloys with 215-35 or 215-40 tyres would be fine for this car. These sizes would fit my old Astra no problem, so I shouldn't imagine it would be a problem with the Galant IMO :)

KiwiTT
03-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Take a look at my car wheel arches

between 16" standard height and 30mm lowered 17"

Spirit
03-02-2004, 01:52 AM
.....and one of mine for you with 17's and lowered 30mm (I think - HKS springs):

http://www.p.honey.btinternet.co.uk/photogallery/photo26003/09120006.JPG

Brind
03-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Hello mate, welcome to clubvr4. :)

Since we're posting pictures of wheelarches etc.. here's mine. :)
Oh.. they're only 17's and NO drop at all.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.brindley1/VR-4%20Pictures/6.jpg

silvergalant99
03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Can I post mine too? :-D

colVR4
03-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Raven

Good to see another V6-24 owner infiltrating the ranks :D

I have the V6 Sport which comes fitted with the 17" as standard. I am also not content with the large gap between the wheel and the arch and have been looking at several options for lowering the car. The consensus seems to be to lower the car by 40mm on HKS springs with the option of also fitting progressive dampers (correct me if I am wrong people). From what I have seen of other cars with this mod, the 17" sit nicely.

The other mod that I want to make is to fit a HKS Super Drager exhaust system (or something similar). I am not convinced of the need for a cat replacement because of the complications with the MOT/legality issue. Do you have any plans for anything similar?

Just for your information, a set of the 17" sport alloys with P6000 low profile tyres should cost £600 for the set from Mitsubishi (got a quote today). I am looking to replace mine because they have been kerbed. I was going to get them repaired but my tyres need replacing soon anyway. Tyres would cost me approx £90 x 4 = £360, so for another £240 I could have new alloys as well. If you consider that it costs about £30-40 per wheel to repair them it would cost £160 to repair all four. That means it is only £80 difference!!

If there are any questions that you have regarding the car, this is the place to come. All the best

Col

ritch_w
03-02-2004, 01:32 PM
welcome mate,
i have a v6 sport (similar to cols)
i would say stick with 17s and a -40mm drop any more will work but will probably spoil the ride and handling for normal driving.

go for a progressive lowering spring like eibach - scottish ians got them and highly recommends them. if i keep my car thats what i'll be going for and keeping the standard 17s

RAVEN
03-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi guys. Some fantastic looking cars there! What do these 17" sport wheels look like by the way? Sounds a good price. :D

Also, what offset are the wheels?

Cheers.

Spirit
03-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Got +45 offset on my VR4

RAVEN
04-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Cool! 45 offset is similar to Vauxhalls. That means I can swap over my alloys from my Astra over onto the Galant and vice versa. Nice one. Think I'll be riding on 17's then for a while. All I need to get are Galant centre rings.

These are the wheels I'm talking about. They are BK299's. Do you think they'll suit the Galant?

Spirit
04-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Look sweet to me mate :-D

RAVEN
04-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Sorted the pictures at last now LOL

zedy1
04-02-2004, 05:03 PM
thats what i have on my vr4 and the astra wheels wont fit the galant as the pcd is different

RAVEN
04-02-2004, 07:40 PM
What's the pcd?

Big Ian
05-02-2004, 12:43 AM
:noshake: try a wheel and you'l soon find out,the bolt hole's won't match and the center of your vauxhall wheel may not fit over the bolt and flange on the center of the galant hub.

RAVEN
06-02-2004, 12:52 AM
... Oh well, nevermind. Nice idea though. Back to my original idea of 18's now. Think I'll get the BK299's again instead of the Dare X1's as they look great on zedy1's car. So much for another site saying they won't suit the Galant, as the wheels are more Euro style and won't suit a Jap car. They suit the car VERY WELL judging by zedy1's Galant. :-D