PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

dsnz
31-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Hi All,

My names Ben and I am from Christchurch, New Zealand.

I am new to this site and am hoping to use this site to mod / get advice on my car.

I own a 1997 Tiptronic VR4 Legnum 7 months ago which has been nothing but problems.

And well... Yea.

matt25649
31-12-2007, 07:19 AM
what problems have you had?

Nick Mann
31-12-2007, 04:30 PM
That's bad luck - they are reliable if looked after.

What problems? You may find some helpful comments if you search this site.

bradc
01-01-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm willing to bet a problem with the gearbox at least :)

dsnz
01-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi All,

I am new to this site and am hoping to use this site to mod / get advice on my car.

I own a 1997 Tiptronic VR4 Legnum 7 months ago which has been nothing but problems.

And well... Yea.

Hey Guys,

Happy New Years! Please excuse my spelling etc as I have had a few to drink :)

Here are some of the problems I have had... Not all mechanical but you will get the idea.

1. Servo vacuum on brakes.
2. ABS Problems.
2. Traction Control Solanoid.
3. Turbo Problems.
4. Power Steering Pump (Ceased while going round a large roundabout at 70km 1 month after buying)
5. Some idiot rear ended me at quite high speed while I was sitting at the lights and smashed it up pretty bad, aparently didnt see me :P
6. Someone decided to smash my windscreen out and try and grab my GPS outside my house.

There are a few more actual mechanical problems but I wont go into them rite now as I will start ranting :)

Last but not least.

Yes BradC :) ... My transmission blew about a week ago so I had to leave it down a quiet street until I could come back with a car trailer. I came back the next day and sure enough my windscreen had been smashed out again.

BTW... Dont get me wrong, LOVE THE CAR. Just think I may have bought a lemon.

hi flyer
01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Just wondering how many kms had it done when you got it? Sounds like you've had more than your share of bad luck!

dsnz
01-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Hello Hi Flyer,

Bought the car at 62,500KMS at the time I thought I was getting a good deal :P

bradc
01-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Hmm, a lot of those are fairly random problems that don't occur very often at all.

The ABS problems are often caused by a dirty sensor, and that in turn can confuse the traction control system, but it is rare for any parts to actually fail.

There have been a number of people that have had their power steering pump fail, but usually when they are sliding around on ice or doing heli's and trying to have fun :)

As for the turbo problems, they almost never die, unless you have whacked up the turbo boost really high, or had bad quality oil in there.

Overall it does sound like you've had a few big problems and a few minor ones, I would suggest that when you get a transmission back in there that the first thing you do is change all the oils in the car, including the gearbox oil, transfer case, and the 3 oils in the rear diff. Mitsi will be able to do a good enough job for you.

Fully
01-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi All,

And well... Yea.

Hey dude, Its not a white one is it?

I might of spoken to you one night doing laps?

dsnz
02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Hello Again,

BradC
_____

Yeah I cant understand it, owned a few mitsi's and done a fair bit of research and the legnums / VR4 before I bought the car... Putting my car on a trailer tomorrow and taking it into AutoMan and getting it looked at, think I will take your advice on the oil though. Everybody on this forum is talking about amsoil, what do you think and where do you get it?

Fully
_____

Nah Dude not me,

I drive a purple legnum, or as some people for some strange reason seem to call it "The Jellybean" or "The People Mover" lol.

What do you drive? Wasnt you I was talking to at shell linwood a while back was it?

bradc
02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
there is a distributor in west auckland for it. You need to go with their oil or with mitsi's own oil for the gearbox, and nothing else! The rest of the oils in the car can be done with a wider variety of products, but Amsoil is still good for everything.

Fully
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Hello Again,

Fully
_____

Nah Dude not me,

I drive a purple legnum, or as some people for some strange reason seem to call it "The Jellybean" or "The People Mover" lol.

What do you drive? Wasnt you I was talking to at shell linwood a while back was it?

Na not me dude, shell don't sell 98.

dsnz
09-01-2008, 03:55 AM
Well got news back about my car yesterday (Gearbox Trouble):

1. Pinion and Planetry Assembly
2. Torque Converter
3. They want to put a oil cooler on there.

There goes another $3,750.00

Think I might be getting rid of this car soon and looking at a Galant VR4 Sedan or comething.

dsnz
10-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Well have had HUGE problems with the repair person and will now be converting my car to manual, it seems fairly easy to get most of the bits however...

Does any one know the code of the gearbox I would want to put in it or know of any other gearboxes that will "Bolt straight in"? I have heard rumours about the Pajero and Magna Boxes fitting.

Or even better... one that they could sell me :) As my car is off the road at the moment and I use the beast everyday I need to do something ASAP so I can get back on the road again.

bradc
10-02-2008, 10:19 AM
W5M51 is the one you want, and you need it to be the correct VR-4 model, all the manual magna's and pajero's have different bellhousing