PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake.

spm01
31-12-2007, 11:21 AM
been spending some time of late modifying a headlight to get cold air into the airfilter and engine bay.
i have had to loose the high beam but have kept the side and main beam working as normal.
i suspect a few people may not think it is a good idea but i think it is worth a go, i will try and put some picks up.

i have been toying with the idea of either putting a tee piece in and havng some cold air for the engine and some for the filter but still not sure which one to have yet so i have made sure i can add the tee piece and remove if needed.

Just have to put a ring on the out side of the headlight now to make it look nicer and i want to put a bit of mesh just before the airfilter to stop leaves and so on and should be ready to fit.

what are your thoughts guys?
hope the pics work.....

timiano
31-12-2007, 12:34 PM
A certainly very original way of getting some induction!

Personally, I wouldn't feck around with the lights at all, but each to their own. It'd be interesting to see if it makes any real difference.

It looks like you've crashed in a Dyson head on!

Wodjno
31-12-2007, 12:39 PM
What about MOT ??

spm01
31-12-2007, 12:58 PM
What about MOT ??

i bought a second headlight so i can change it come MOT time.

Wodjno
31-12-2007, 01:26 PM
i bought a second headlight so i can change it come MOT time.

Good plan !! Good plan /rally

Johnny_Cashed
31-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Retrofit a Bi-xenon E55 projector in the main beam space and you're all set :pimp2:

spm01
31-12-2007, 01:45 PM
where do you get these E55 projectors from? are they easy to fit?

Retrofit a Bi-xenon E55 projector in the main beam space and you're all set :pimp2:

Nick VR4
31-12-2007, 01:49 PM
What about rain water gussing into engine bay when going at speed :speechles:speechles

spm01
31-12-2007, 02:13 PM
to be honest i dont really use the car that often, especially in really bad weather.
i made the intake from bits from work and i have also got a plug that will go in the end if i am caught out in bad weather which will stop anything unwanted getting in.
i have tried to think of everything and i think i have managed to cover all aspects....................waits for a comment i havent thought of :thinking:

psbarham
31-12-2007, 02:44 PM
waits for a comment i havent thought of :thinking:

just the right size for a blackbird, how thoughhtful:thinking:

can i just add that thats a low pressure area so there will be very little ram effect, but on the plus side there will be sod all going in it.

SGHOM
31-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Call that an air intake ?? /pan /pan

THIS is an air intake ! :afro: /rally

Wodjno
31-12-2007, 02:57 PM
More like a Pi$$ take :inquisiti

That must be a Photo fit :thinking:

Derek !! You don't work on cars ??

I mean !! You just don't Work :scholar:

spm01
31-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Call that an air intake ?? /pan /pan

THIS is an air intake ! :afro: /rally

bloody hell, your right there mate. i just wanted something to use without removing the headlight but still getting some air into the bay.

Kieran
31-12-2007, 03:39 PM
....thats a low pressure area so there will be very little ram effect, but on the plus side there will be sod all going in it.

Really? I would've thought that being a vertical surface right on the nose of the car that it'd be bashing into oncoming air quite quickly?

spm01
31-12-2007, 03:48 PM
i did think this also but as i cannot say for sure i did not want to comment...kieran i have just pm'd you for some help mate.

Really? I would've thought that being a vertical surface right on the nose of the car that it'd be bashing into oncoming air quite quickly?

Kieran
31-12-2007, 04:09 PM
...kieran i have just pm'd you for some help mate.

Back at ya! :scholar:

Wodjno
31-12-2007, 06:07 PM

There a lot of different things that affect the flow of air into an intake..

Size, shape, angle(of intake pipe), angle(of front edge ie. if it's cut at an angle), surounding surfaces( which will determine whether the intake is in a high or low pressure area. All these things are important when siting on a normally aspirated car ...

But the main thing with an intake pipe on a VR4 is..

Connect it directly to the airbox /yes Reason being is that Ram Air does not have much affect on our cars(if any at all) reason being that with our Turbo's running a positive pressure in the manifold means that the air intake is acting like a super dooper vacuum cleaner.. So if the the extra intake is connected directly to the original airbox, then it won't matter where u situate the open end, as it will suck in anything that gets in its path :D As long as it is situated somewhere to benefit from cooler air..

Hope this makes sense.. :inquisiti Don't wanna get to technical :D

psbarham
31-12-2007, 09:02 PM
nah , because of the slab frontedness of them it pushes the air up and over the bonnet (i studied areodynamics on a basic "i wanna know how that works" way many years ago) its to do with a low pressure front in front of the car caused by the flow of air over and under the car , a good way to see this is to see how dirty your headlights are compaired to the front of the bonnet, mine always seem to stay pretty clean, also another bit of proof is the headlight washers on mine when stationary hit the lights with no overspray, when doing 60+ the windscreen gets wet

Ryan
01-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Personally speaking - I think it would give the car a bit of a mong appearance and the performance gain (if any at all) is not worth destroying the headlights for :)

I agree with statements that it not would serve as a true ram air duct as the high pressure area is concentrated on the lower front where the FMIC sits.

ANTHONY
01-01-2008, 02:13 PM
even if it don't work his made a good effort in the making .looks OK

spm01
01-01-2008, 03:49 PM
There a lot of different things that affect the flow of air into an intake..

Size, shape, angle(of intake pipe), angle(of front edge ie. if it's cut at an angle), surounding surfaces( which will determine whether the intake is in a high or low pressure area. All these things are important when siting on a normally aspirated car ...

But the main thing with an intake pipe on a VR4 is..

Connect it directly to the airbox /yes Reason being is that Ram Air does not have much affect on our cars(if any at all) reason being that with our Turbo's running a positive pressure in the manifold means that the air intake is acting like a super dooper vacuum cleaner.. So if the the extra intake is connected directly to the original airbox, then it won't matter where u situate the open end, as it will suck in anything that gets in its path :D As long as it is situated somewhere to benefit from cooler air..

Hope this makes sense.. :inquisiti Don't wanna get to technical :D

wodjno, i intend on doing what you say and connecting it directly to the filter.

sorry guys forgot to metion that this is for a cold air duct to go directly onto the CDA/BMC airfilter that i have waiting in the house. when the filter is fitted the air should have a direct path through the headlight straight into the filter............well thats the hope anyway.

even if it does not work as efficently as it should i think it should still get some ram effect, and hopefully more than it is getting at the moment.

i should hopefully finish it off this week and get it fitted shortly so i will report back and comment.

Wodjno
01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
[quote=spm01]i think it should still get some ram effect, and hopefully more than it is getting at the moment.

quote]

it won't have any affect on Ramming the air in.. As i said, our turbo's make it like a vacuum cleaner. i don't think you will ever achieve a rate of air hitting the front of the car that will be faster than the engine is already sucking it in..
It will however supply cooler air and it will allow the air to access into the filter easier.. /yes

Fully
02-01-2008, 08:33 PM
You could mount a 3" 12v fan just after the cold air box.

pitslayer
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
What about rain water gussing into engine bay when going at speed :speechles:speechles
drive in reverse /pan /pan /pan /pan /pan

miller
04-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Hydro Lock can be serious, only cars i heard of that suffer in standard forms are the Pug 306's. Their air intake is situated quite near to the ground.

Just avoid big puddles!!

Mike

Wodjno
04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
You could mount a 3" 12v fan just after the cold air box.

We already got 2 fans :inquisiti

Called TD03's /pan

Paul C
05-01-2008, 07:56 PM
cold air is the key, the ram effect is going to be no good as the turbos will draw air in quicker. It is said that you need to be doing about 120mph before ram effect is useful on NA engine. The BMC cda filter is supposed to draw in air but i havent decided if this is useful for the vr4, as it may add restriction.

Wodjno
10-01-2008, 02:43 AM
cold air is the key, the ram effect is going to be no good as the turbos will draw air in quicker.

Well said that man :2thumbsup

At least 1 of You's was listening /dunce

spm01
28-01-2008, 11:02 AM
right, i finally got round to fitting this over the weekend and i have to say that it has made a noticeable difference.

i did not manage to get a direct air path to the filter as i had hoped although there is only a small bend in the ducting to get to the filter, so shouldn't make that much of a difference but i will look into relocating the battery to the boot so i have more room to play with.

This is my 1st and only mod so far and as i said i can feel a difference as the pick up is so much better now and luckly there has been no increase in noise apart from higher up the rev range.

i will put some pics up as soon as i get them to the PC.

Turbo_Steve
28-01-2008, 11:18 PM
actually, I'd beg to differ on the Ram effect: even a mild pressure increase will get you on boost quicker, and allow you to add more fuel = more power. Area under the curve etc.

Saying that, the factory turbos make boost for tuppence, so there's no real benefit on the legnum. Makes a massive difference on cars with "less responsive" turbos, though.

spm01
30-01-2008, 05:30 PM
i have a bit of work to do but its in there and i have now got my 1st mod on the car....
just sent the battery tray and some other bits away for powder coating so the engine bay should be looking fairly tidy soon.

elnevio
30-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Credit where credit's due - that's a smart job. Well done spm! :thumbsup:

d i c k i e s
30-01-2008, 09:40 PM
looks awesome! i like it.

Paul C
30-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Spm01 does your car have traction control? From the throttle body set up i would say no. just wondering as it looks different to mine.

djb160
31-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Thats looks awesome, good job!

spm01
31-01-2008, 02:08 PM
thanks for all your comments guys, i know it is probably not to everyone's taste but i think it will help a little.

PaulC, as far as i am aware mate i do not have T/control mate.

richy rich
31-01-2008, 02:31 PM
It look's to me that by doing that you will have reduced you air intake.

If you had used that mod to add more air to the standard air intake then yes you would added a little, but as I say i think you have reduced it.

Davezj
31-01-2008, 02:36 PM
the finished result looks great, but i am not sure why you have not made the hole through the headlight bigger. you would have to cut the back of the light away, but as it is a spare headlight why not. as this is the only air hole to the filter just seem a very small hole to get all the air through for 2 turbo's.

It looks like you could increas it quite a bit, as the pipe on the back of the light to the filter is much bigger diameter.

EDIT:- you got there first Rich.

richy rich
31-01-2008, 02:44 PM
EDIT:- you got there first brad.
Please don't mix me up with Brad./pan /pan /pan

Nutter_John
31-01-2008, 02:50 PM
As brad said :p

No this is a nice idea but I feel you have limited the amount of air that can flow to the filter , the diameter of the inlet looks smaller than the entry to the MAF which mean you will not be able to flow the amount needed . Maybe as DJ says you had also connect up the blakc stock pipe into the filter you would have doubles the effective cold airflow into the MAF

spm01
31-01-2008, 02:52 PM
i dont think i have reduced it really. As i said i think i have benifited from this mod as it is my only mod and i can definatly notice a difference in pick up from low revs.
i think that the old intake pipe that went over the radiator will suffer from quite a bit of heat soak being so close to the rad and the rest of the engine where as mine is away from all this heat.

but this is just my view.

richy rich
31-01-2008, 02:55 PM
As brad said :p

:rifle: :stupid: /catfight

richy rich
31-01-2008, 03:03 PM
i dont think i have reduced it really. As i said i think i have benifited from this mod as it is my only mod and i can definatly notice a difference in pick up from low revs.
i think that the old intake pipe that went over the radiator will suffer from quite a bit of heat soak being so close to the rad and the rest of the engine where as mine is away from all this heat.

but this is just my view.
Have you changed the standard air box to this mod if so your improvement will be just the change of air filter, so if you do as DJ said increase the size and you will get better improvements.

The Idea is good just needs some fine tuning to get the best out off your efforts.

Nutter_John
31-01-2008, 03:07 PM
errr have you looked at the design of the turbo inlet pipes they hug the engine block so a little bit of heating on the black inlet pipe will make very little difference .

I'm not critasizing , you have done a good job and it will offer some benefit just pointing out a little flaw i'd spotted

spm01
31-01-2008, 03:43 PM
i can see the reasoning behind your comments guys and i am grateful. it will be an ongoing project so maybe i will look in enlarge the hole but to be honest i dont think the inlet hole is that much smaller that the entry port on the maf but i am goinging to find this out.

Davezj
31-01-2008, 08:02 PM
i still think it looks like a very well made mod, very professional job.

rich you still have the avatar as brad, I do regret making the unforgivable mistake of mixing you up with brad i do't who i have offended the most, you or brad (He, He).

richy rich
31-01-2008, 08:16 PM
i still think it looks like a very well made mod, very professional job.

rich you still have the avatar as brad, I do regret making the unforgivable mistake of mixing you up with brad i do't who i have offended the most, you or brad (He, He).
Come on dave get with it, Brad hasn't got an avatar, /pan /pan /pan def not the same as mine as brad ant burn's B1tch.

ANTHONY
31-01-2008, 09:24 PM
not my choice but you have made a very good job mate

bradc
01-02-2008, 07:39 AM
you're all my bitches :D

Davezj
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
yep i having a bad ady i mean day, but not as bad as those poor people in wildcards thread yesterday.