PDA

View Full Version : New to this...

Danj
31-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Hello all, just bought my first Legnum VR-4, after having it a week its living up to the challenge laid down by my its predecessor my much loved Volvo 850R. Just need a few questions answered really.

I have the touch screen media unit/climate control system and would like to change the sat nav disc to one i can understand!
Also i would like to try and get english channels on the built in tv system - again dont know if this is possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have a great new year all

Cheers Dan.

Wodjno
31-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Welcome :D

Glad you found the Site /yes Best place you can be with ownership of a VR4 ..

SGHOM
31-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I have the touch screen media unit/climate control system and would like to change the sat nav disc to one i can understand!
Also i would like to try and get english channels on the built in tv system - again dont know if this is possible?

Cant be done, sorry. many have tried & failed.

Kieran
31-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Cant be done, sorry. many have tried & failed.

Well, you can change the text to english, but Derek's right that the TV won't pick up a UK signal and the satnav is Japan only. If you still have the tuner box in the back, you can plug in an NTSC dvd player (if it's got a suitable port), but other than that, it's useless.

Here's a link for translation information. THe easiest thing might be to flutter your eyelids at one of our NZ members.... ;)

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23824

Nick VR4
31-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi and /Welcome2 to the forum

Danj
31-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys really appreciate your comments, was thinking about maybe trying a NTSC to PAL converter? Is there anywhere i can get a translation without having to pay for it? :scholar:

Nick Mann
31-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Hello and welcome. Other than the system is called MMCS i can't help with your questions I'm afraid! Kieran knows too much about it, but it ain't all solved yet. Search these forums for MMCS and you may find some info that is useful.

Hope you enjoy your car!

Kieran
31-12-2007, 04:08 PM
....was thinking about maybe trying a NTSC to PAL converter? Is there anywhere i can get a translation without having to pay for it? :scholar:

Sorry, I don't think there's anywhere you can get it for free - Mind you, the cost of getting a CD wasn't huge as I recall ;)

As for NTSC to pal.....

The MMCS system uses a screen that displays NTSC (Jap Standard) only. The TV-Tuner system is locked to Japanese wavebands too and the Japanese UHF and VHF TV signals are broadcast on different wavelengths to UK ones.

In theory, if you got hold of a tuner that 'shifted' the wavebands you could plug that between the TV aerials and the factory tuner, but I don't think such a device exists.

If your factory tuner has a composite or S-Video input, as I mentioned earlier a DVD player is a posibility but you'd need to have it output in NTSC - or use a converter as you mention.:scholar:

Danj
31-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Well thats certainly enough for me to be going on with! Ill have a look for this disc and perhaps try and get hold of a multi region dvd player?

Beastlee
31-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Surely the tuner could be modified or a PAl one patched in? I have a knowlwedge of circuit designs but am no expert. I'm sure it could be converted in some way.

bradc
01-01-2008, 01:05 AM
it's just too much effort. it is easier to get a single din fold out 6" lcd screen that supports everything, and use the stock lcd for the aircon only.