PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil bypass filter

bradc
04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

Interesting, any comments on getting one of these on a VR-4?

Might also help for those going to TD04 or TD05 turbos as I've heard the oil filter gets in the way.

amsoil
04-01-2008, 08:10 PM
The advantages of fitting a 'bypass' filter are huge, the reason that manufacturers don't fit them is simply cost, packaging and perhaps even a lack of desire in an engine lasting 300,000 + miles. They are standard compulsary fitments on expensive industrial engines such as tractors combines etc. Oil lasts so much longer (many times longer infact) with them and engine wear almost vanishes. We don't sell many as its hard enough to convince people of the benifits of a 'normal' Amsoil filter over the likes of Fram etc.

Kieran
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
I've got one of those systems - I got it from Don ages and ages ago. Still not fitted it though/pan - Space and plumbing are the stumbling blocks. Looks like i need to relocate the battery before I can install it.

bradc
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
so, what kit do we need for the VR-4? Ohh and for the 850CSi too of course :)

bradc
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Kieran - the boot is the best place for the battery, helps with weight distribution too, especially as your gearbox is 40kg heavier!

Kieran
04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I know Brad - Just comes down to the same old time/money/place and space to work rubbish! It'll get done one day!:inquisiti

Mark 4
04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Don can you tell us approximate prices. Ta.

peter thomson
04-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Do you still need the OE filter in place with these kits?

amsoil
04-01-2008, 10:31 PM
There are a couple of forms of these (besides the dirty great big ones for HGVs etc. ) One has a remote single housing for just the bypass filter. I've had to do a bit of double checking on this as my computor shows them in stock but they are not on the web site! ( run one of these myself ) cost is £65.99 but I will have to check if this is just the manifold or a complete mounting kit.
The better idea if you can fit it in under the hood is the double manifold which takes the bypass filter and the 'normal' filter using a blanking manifold with pipe takeoffs where the original filter is. This effectively makes both filters remote and there is a bypass pressure regulator in the filter manifold. The price however is high at £175. I will however deal (substantially) on the price of these kits so if you might be interested talk to me.
My personal opinion is that the single manifold is cheap but a pain to plumb in needing mods to get the low presue oil back into the sump. The biggest kit is very sweet and a nice instalation kit with adaptors to fit just about every car in the world.

bradc
04-01-2008, 11:12 PM
yeah I like the idea of having both filters remote. It is better for a number of reasons:

Easy to tap into an oil cooler
Easier to upgrade the front turbo without worrying about the oil filter location
Able to move the filters into an easier location to access
No need to drill holes in the sump!
Not taking oil from a single high pressure line, which may prove difficult to find/use on our engines

Don, how much for one? :) Send me a pm if you need to :) I figure it will be cheaper than ordering from NZ

Subaru ETA
05-01-2008, 12:14 AM
having a quick read of it im pretty sure the new transit runs a similar system

Ryan
05-01-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm all for anything that will help my engine last longer.

I would not have a clue how to fit it though unless it came with clear instructions.

Kenneth
07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Don, how much for one? :) Send me a pm if you need to :) I figure it will be cheaper than ordering from NZ

I am interested in the dual remote kit also.
I would like a couple of optional bits too... 2x the 90degree angle fittings (BK-11) as described in the application guide. I have a cunning plan ;)

Fully
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes count me in for a duel remote kit also.

Kieran
08-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I would like a couple of optional bits too... 2x the 90degree angle fittings (BK-11) as described in the application guide. I have a cunning plan ;)

I need a set of those too.... The hose that comes with the kit has a big bend radius, so you need those to avoid the hoses getting tarmac rash! :skull:

amsoil
08-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I will have a trip to Mocal and see what can be done for 90 Degree bends. You will all have to wait until next week however as tomorrow, inbetween breathing I have to complete moving into the new warehouse, collect the new race trailer take a selection of everything to a new dealer by Silverstone and be back for a meeting in london at 4PM The rest of the week is out as we are off to the Autosports show at the NEC.

Kieran
08-01-2008, 01:11 AM
I will have a trip to Mocal and see what can be done for 90 Degree bends. You will all have to wait until next week however as tomorrow, inbetween breathing I have to complete moving into the new warehouse, collect the new race trailer take a selection of everything to a new dealer by Silverstone and be back for a meeting in london at 4PM The rest of the week is out as we are off to the Autosports show at the NEC.

lol, you're a busy bunny then!:speechles

bradc
08-01-2008, 02:00 AM
cool, just let me know how it goes along :)

I will get that kit for you Don, once we organise the details of the BE-90 filter, and the 90 degree bends if we need them.

Mark 4
08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Any news Don ?

amsoil
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Sorry chaps, been too busy and am starting to forget things, (like the wife, home kids etc)
Got 10 of the kits in and have now got 3 left of the single bypass and will check shortly on the dual remotes (ie normal filter + bypass.) The fittinga for the manifolds (both ends are JIC and therefore easy to get, It means that you can even go really flash and get Earls/goodrich anodised blue and red fittings and stainless braided hoses etc. Your choice.
If you might be interested let me know either here or by pM as I really must order again from the US tonight. We have been almost wiped out in some areas since the New Year and must get new stock on the hurry up.

Regards Don

Kenneth
09-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Yep, I am interested :)

Mark 4
09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
PM sent !

Mark 4
20-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Bump !

gee118
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I realise this is a v. old thread but did people install these dual remote oil filters?
If so;
Did they help with tapping noise?
How much were they and how was ease of installation?

thx