PDA

View Full Version : WARNING about bank details !

ciderisgr8
04-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I have just used a well known pizza company to online order tea, (I know its a bit lazy but its not as if its a regular occurance).
After submitting my card details for payment the next page on the site asked for my card expiry date and security number with my banks logo next to it.
It claimed that by inputting my details my bank would prevent internet fraud on my card !
Now my bank issued me with my card so therefore know of all its details !!!
I have been told of this before whereby a site will only ask for your credit/debit cards expiry date and security number posing as your bank in some sort of guise.
Your card isssuer will not ask for your details as they issued them to you to start with !
Sorry if your already aware of this but the more people that know the better.

:thumbsup:

I-S
04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Are you talking about Mastercard Securecode and Verified by Visa systems?

The registration process for these services requires you to give that information to prove that it IS you at the other end of the computer...

ciderisgr8
04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I did input my card details for the payment process. Then the next page asked me to do ti again for my bank. It had the option to submit now or do it later.

Little Miss Road Rage
04-01-2008, 08:33 PM
weird

ciderisgr8
04-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Yesssssss /Hmmm
So I clicked the later option and that was that.

Nick VR4
04-01-2008, 08:39 PM
So it asked for Credit Card info and then went to Bank Card Details Hmmmm strange

I-S
04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
All it is is the registration for securecode/verified. Here is my bank's page on it: http://www.natwest.com/personal02.asp?id=PERSONAL/DAY_TO_DAY/CREDIT_CARDS/NATWEST_SECURE

Kieran
04-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, you've just ordered Dominos Pizza, haen't you ;) - That page you see is Kosher as Isaac says.

ciderisgr8
04-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah.
But why ask for my details when they have them already. And, when there is a scam doing the same thing out there ??

I-S
04-01-2008, 10:08 PM
The scam almost certainly followed the real thing... they usually do.

They ask for those details to confirm that the person on the other end of the computer is indeed the cardholder. If you don't trust domino's or whatever site, go directly to your bank and register for the service on their website. I'm sure you could do it over the phone also - but you still have to give your card number and details if you phone up to your cc account. How else will they verify you? You are giving your details to two different things - you gave your details to domino's for the pizza, it's a separate thing to give them for signing up for card security - they were just offering you the opportunity because domino's is a partner in the secure program.

Paul Beazer
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Presumably to verify the info you are providing them is correct, not just any old dross which fills the blanks.